• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air Reservoirs for Front Float's

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

stocksucks!!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
fort st john b.c
www.powderking.com
just installed the fett bros front and rear have'nt rode yet but more air will always help and well for the praice i paid for all 3 fett bros canaisters.. you can get 1 nextech..not much to go wrong with an air canister.. oh yeah i put on the air canister 2's there new bigger ones..:face-icon-small-hap

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Adjustments

Hey what do the adjustments do on the Nextech ones?
Increase or decrease chamber size?
I do like the price of the Fett Bros tho. I take it they are only adjustable with air pressure?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Not to knock either of the air canisters from Fett Bros or Nextech, but neither of them is that great of solution compared to others out there.

I'll explain - the units from both of these are JUST adding volume, which is the samething a FLOAT 2 does over a the old float. this is not bad, but it still not enough considering the price they are asking.

The better method is the canisters that have an internal piston. I got them from Holz last year, but i don' think they are selling them anymore. Too bad. I'm pretty certian though that Tom's is going to be offering an Evol End Cap kit from Fox that is the RIGHT way to add volume and features to a base float shock.

Real quick i'll explain what's the difference between the two types of add-on canisters. Just adding volume via the Fett bros or Nextech kit IS an improvement over stock. HOWEVER, selling your base floats and buying Float 2s would be a MUCH bigger improvement and about the same money. Float 2s offer more air space (like adding this chamber) PLUS they much improved features that get rid of the harshness and chop feel of the stock cat shocks. don't be fooled - the float that cat offers and the ones you buy aftermarket are pretty big. the stock float has some pretty crappy parts in it and no negative spring (the reason for the harshness).

Now - adding the "chamber" to the stock float is still a good move, however - try and get your hands on the piston version. the difference is that piston version has two air inlets on it and turns your float into a "dual rate" spring. This is the REAL benefit of the canister (as well as adding more volume, which helps with plushness). with the piston version (just like Evol R and Evol X have) you dial in your sag seperate from your bottoming resistance. I paid $100 per chamber last year from Holz, but like i said he doesn't sell them anymore i don't think. Too bad.

I think Tom said he's have these for sale around 12/1. Definitely the way to go and i believe they will be geniune FOX part. Cool. :cool:

B
Dec 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
will tom be offering the upgrade for the rear floats as well? I ride DH mt bikes as well and the quality of fox shocks in the snowmobile world dont even compair to the fox shocks I have on my DH bike. On my DH bike I can adjust just about all parameters of the shock to get the perfect feel...on my rear float set up I can not and you can tell in a big way.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
will tom be offering the upgrade for the rear floats as well? I ride DH mt bikes as well and the quality of fox shocks in the snowmobile world dont even compair to the fox shocks I have on my DH bike. On my DH bike I can adjust just about all parameters of the shock to get the perfect feel...on my rear float set up I can not and you can tell in a big way.

i had one on the rear of sled last year. MUCH improved over stock. Still though, the cat OEM Fox floats are pretty dumpy compared to the "real" ones. Cat has them built for the OEM with much cheaper parts, and in some cases lack of parts to keep costs down. Pretty lame, but that's the way it is.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I just trade my Crossfire 7 SP -06 front Fox Floats to F8 SP -07 (or newer) Fox Floats. They are about the same length as M series has so I tought this is easy way to convert my CF to M. After changing them I noticed there's a spring inside the F model float shocks. First I tought this was bad thing but after reading this topic I started more thinking this may be good thing - as they actually are Fox Float 2s?

If I add external air chamber to them I can convert them to Fox Float R EVOL models?

If this is true, you guys should start searching for F model Floats :)

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I just trade my Crossfire 7 SP -06 front Fox Floats to F8 SP -07 (or newer) Fox Floats. They are about the same length as M series has so I tought this is easy way to convert my CF to M. After changing them I noticed there's a spring inside the F model float shocks. First I tought this was bad thing but after reading this topic I started more thinking this may be good thing - as they actually are Fox Float 2s?

If I add external air chamber to them I can convert them to Fox Float R EVOL models?

If this is true, you guys should start searching for F model Floats :)

the spring inside is a GOOD thing. It gets rid of the "hard start" nature of air shocks and basically makes the first little bit of travel more like a conventional spring shock.

Bearcat, good info to know about the F shocks that they had them. Cool. But no, the F shocks are still the original Floats, but they sound more like non-OEM version. The Float 2s have an even bigger/strong spring in them AND more air volume as well. Better on both accounts, though the non-oem original floats with the spring are still good shocks.

hope this info helps people understand what they have and what works better.

Adding an EVOL chamber to the F shock Bearcar is talking about would end you up with a very nice shock, but the EVOL R goes one step further and add adjustable rebound control. Nice to have if you adjust your shocks a lot, but probably not that necessary if your shocks are valvled around normal air pressures that won't be changing much (like most mountain riders).

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Thanx - good info there mrquick! So if those F series floats have less air capasity, I'll put bigger reservoir chambers and shocks may be quite close to Float 2? Pal has normal reservoirs hanging around, maybe they can be used as a air chambers - I'll have to check them. Personally I like riding in trees/powder and don't like playing with shock knobs so I don't need them.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i'd just run 'em. Bummer for the rest of the M crew though, as the F shocks are too long to run on the Ms.

as for adding the simple air reseviors without the piston, it will help, but they still don't function that well as the passage from the shock body to the air chamber is very small and restricitve. That's why the new EVOL chambers that are hopefully coming out soon will be an entire top cap instead of just the chamber. Personally, i'd wait before i bought any add on chambers. If you can't wait, the Nextech and Fett Bros will still be better than leaving them alone.

Hope that helps everyone understand a little better. Been learning a ton about these shocks lately.

C
Feb 12, 2009
Hugo, MN
I've got a new set of Fox Float 2's for my crossfire and a set of the fett bother's canisters that were used for $50 is it worth adding them to my Float 2's to make them even better or will it make it worse. Thanks

Premium Features