• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A different type of silencer for the 800's. Have a look at this...

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Sep 16, 2008
Hey guys. I've always liked the idea of a lightweight silencer but unfortunately alot of whats available seems to be extremely loud and even if you do happen to find one that sounds good, after a season or two it sounds like crap because the packing inside is either all blown out or clogged up with oil or carbon. They really need to be repackable the way all motocross and sport bike silencers are. No idea why the sled industry doesnt see this.

Since there is no such silencer available i've always made my own on my past few sleds and they work out great. I recently made one for my F8 and I made up some extras to see if anybody is interested in them. The goal for me was to make something nice and lightweight, as quiet as possible when cruising around and or course repackable. The silencers I have built have a 5" OD aluminum tube for a body and are longer then alot of silencers that are available which of course makes them a little quieter. The body is 12" long on these. Inside is a simple 2" perforated core the same diameter as the stinger in the pipe. No crazy chambers or other designs that claim all sorts of silly stuff. Just a simple core the same diameter as the stinger which has worked well for years on all sorts of 2 stroke engines. Backpressure should be similar to stock. Honestly I dont have access to a dyno to measure HP but i've never noticed any significant loss or gain with any silencer ive made for past sleds using this design.

And of course as you see from the pics its built in two sections the same as motocross silencers and is easily repackable. You just simply drill out the rivits in the bottom endcap and the endcap/core slides right out. Throw in some fresh packing and pop it all back together again and your silencer is like brand new again. I truely believe this is the nicest silencer available for the procross right now. Has a nice sound to it. Idle and cruise is nice and quiet for a glasspack (similar to stock) and still has a nice rip at WOT. It weighs in at 5.1 lbs, my stock silencer with the stupid bag over it was 21.3 lbs so thats a huge savings of over 16 lbs! I have a couple here ready to go and have a few more ready to ship in a few days. .

20121118_120023.jpg 20121118_125834.jpg 20121118_114308.jpg 20121118_114554-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
Can we just use the same packing that you get for your average motocross pipe? I've repacked a muffler before once, when I first bought my Raptor 700. I kind of find this idea intriguing. And its cheaper than any other aftermarket brand.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
makes complete since i change the packing out on our mx bikes twice a season to maintain the proper hp/proper running bike. not only does it gain hp but you lose weight as your packing can get coated in suit/oil if your ever running rich.

if its like any other fmf, pro circuit or mx bike packing its cheap and can be bought at any mx/dirtbike shop (pretty sure it is by the picture)

http://www.bikebandit.com/helix-heavy-duty-muffler-packing-kit?gclid=COSMqM222rMCFSFyQgodDjMAgg

-Aksnopro

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
3.4lbs and works

388596_3035296524896_1283547629_n.jpg

Sounds good, louder but not to loud with good tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4cghPyiKw

I would like to try it necked down a bit for high elevation.

M
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah packing is cheap and available from any sled/bike dealer. There are a bunch of different companies selling it.

Heres a quick video on a stand. Ill post a better one when we get snow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ffW4lmHuc&feature=youtu.be

Hard to tell too much from videos but its actually fairly quiet at low throttle. Notice how you can still hear the engine and track noise over the exhaust. And still has a nice rip when the powervalves open (20 second mark).

M
Sep 16, 2008
Heres a video of a similar one I had on my old F7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7cAqHEDLmU

Has a nice sound WOT but you can see just before starting the wheelie its actually pretty quiet. Also guys since its repackable you can tune for whatever sound you want. If you race or ride in the mountains and want it to be louder you can easily cover part of the core with header wrap to make it as loud as you want if thats what your after. Please keep it quiet on trails though guys.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
That was when I first put it on, (no point in makin it pertty if it don't work) since then I shaved like 5grams more by grinding it pretty and painting it.

But I have to say I never thought I would get anything out of that old m1000 can until I cut the top off for this, lol

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Can

I've been runnin the same mbrp(B&B ELIMINATOR) since 1998. Repacked every year, cut welded different sockets, brackets etc. Was originally designed for the 98 zr 5-600 carb. Small outlet=NO BOG. Ran it for 5000 miles on zl 500, 5500 miles on 03 f5 sp, 3500 on FIRECAT f6 eb (broke down lastyear and bought newf5 mbrp=NO BOG) and now resurrected old can with new brackets,fresh packin and reriveted for my CROSSFIRE 700 mod. This can sounds f#$kin AWSOME! No trail ridin, it screams!

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I built a baffled one last winter for the "retro" SKS/RMK I built for my bride last winter.

I used 6" exhaust pipe for the shell, 2" perf pipe inside w my "secret" baffle system, 2" inlet and outlet. I need to weigh it. I'm not a huge fan of absorption type mufflers as the material de-grades too fast. Baffles don't change during the life of the muffler. Sound cancelation is not difficult if you study it much. To each his own. However, I like your ideas of DIY, light, & cheap.

I apologize to the original poster, as he is trying to sell his product and we have hijacked his thread. Looks like a great product at a truly fair price.

FORDpickupman

M
Sep 16, 2008
Hey guys had a couple inches of snow this weekend and took the sled up to the airstrip. Sled ran great. Sounds great too, really rips WOT but its not too loud at all up to about the half throttle range where the powervalves open. Front end is so much lighter now, its even more fun to ride. Really happy with it. Didnt have my camera but took a quick video on my buddies phone. Have a look:

http://youtu.be/bBNhbrVWKBA

Have a few of these on hand now. Selling for $250, shipping is $30 to US and Canada. Can take payment through paypal. PM me if interested. Can weights 5.1lbs, a 16lb savings over stock and is fully repackable unlike any other silencer on the market.

Premium Features