• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need advice on brands, ordering a gooseneck enclosed.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I got the go ahead to order a new gooseneck enclosed that will end up being both our camping tent toy hauler and new sled trailer. I currently have a 14yr old inline united that has been a great trailer. So far I've gotten prices on a few steel frame trailers united, haulmark, and MTI. I've also looked into all aluminum featherlite which is a bit pricey for my taste and more reasonably priced sundowner. I haven't found a dealer for cargo mate yet. What brands am I missing or should I look at. I know when I considered haulmark a few years ago I found some bad reviews. MTI is the cheapest but I have a feeling there is a reason why. Are united trailers still built well or did I get lucky. Does anyone know anything about Sundowner I know they make horse trailers but don't know much more then that.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
ATC is another top brand, similar to featherlite. Try real hard to stay away from the "cheap" trailers, if the price looks too good there is a reason. LOTS of junk trailers out there these days. Try to look at them in person and look at all the details. Eric

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into charmac and atc. I looked at a 1 year old trails west at haydays last year and was less then impressed. Fit and finish was nothing great and for only a year old it was showing a lot of wear it shouldn't have. Anyone have any experience with the brands I listed. I'm trying to limit my brands to ones that I can find a good dealer for within 500 miles which is harder then I expected.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm trying to limit my brands to ones that I can find a good dealer for within 500 miles which is harder then I expected.

If you want good service, I would suggest buying from a place where trailers are their main line of products.
Not from a business that happens to "also sell trailers".
If trailers are their main line they are more likely to place a higher priority on their trailer customers.

I am not sure where in ND you are, but these folks have a good reputation near Aberdeen SD
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=J0l9BrOdkwi_e5PTFczuMg&bvm=bv.95515949,d.aWw

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
If Featherlite is out of the price range ATC is going to be close to out as well, but they crazy nice, well built trailers. Yes more expensive, but the value, quality, and service are top notch. Total cost of ownership will be less.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Everyone seems to like the Trails West Chris Burant Edition gooseneck trainers.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
I recently purchased an ATC trailer and the quality is great. It's not a gooseneck but after checking it all over,it's better then a lot of ones I've seen.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Thanks for all the great advice. So far I've gotten quotes back on a sundowner from two places and a quote on a united. I'm also waiting for quotes back on a Mission and a RC from the dealer in Aberdeen. I'm really excited to hear back from them it sounded like they have built quite a few with the type of options I'm looking at. I want to get down there to look at the stuff on there lot and see how the brands compare. I need to get to town yet to visit with the dealer about the ATC.

As far as Trails West Christ Burandt editions I loved the concept when I first read about them. After looking at a used one I was not impressed with the quality at all. In quite a few ways my 14 year old United held up better then a 1 year old Trails West and the concept isn't as practical in person as I hoped.

A big problem for me is the trailer being over the axles. I prefer the lower height of the wheel wells in the walls. I need 7ft sidewalls to fit my rzr4 in. The sloped floor sounds nice for letting water drain but also makes using it for anything else especially camping which is our plan becomes a lot tougher. The other thing I didn't like was the heat ducts in the floor is a good idea but the plastic they used to do it was cracked up already.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
As I said in the above post,
I think the after the sale service from Specialty Trailer will make you happy that you chose them.
I bought my first enclosed from them.

Where in ND are you from?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't be to hasty to write off Mirage.
They have been working hard to turn out a much higher quality product over the last few years.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
As I said in the above post,
I think the after the sale service from Specialty Trailer will make you happy that you chose them.
I bought my first enclosed from them.

Where in ND are you from?

I'm from near Lamoure. Straight north of Aberdeen on Hwy 281.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If you can go with an all aluminum option you will be much better off.

My featherlite trailer is 2001 and I have owned it since 2004, its exactly the same condition as when I bought it. All i have done is replaced some burned out bulbs and replaced tires. Mine has the aluminum frame and floor, all I do it pressure wash it inside and out. 10-15 yr old featherlites still sell for 8-10,000 because they are built that well. Eric

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Specialty Trailer is absolutely fabulous to work with.

Interned for a company out of Aberdeen ending up totaling a special ordered 5 week old trailer we bought from them. As soon as we talked to them about it, and told them what happened. They immediately started working on the next one for us. Took less than two weeks to get it when the first one was ordered with a 10 week lead time due to the orders in front of us.

Premium Features