• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running Heated Grips on Lower Wattage Circuit

S
Jan 12, 2013
Can anyone tell me what the impact will be of running 40 or 45 W grips on a 30W circuit? I am hoping that they will just run at a sub-par level, but I am worried it will burn out my stator or part of my electrical system. Anyone have knowledge on this topic?

To be specific, I am looking at running AME grips on a stock CRF450X headlight circuit, with the headlight turned off by a switch.

Thanks

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
My yz450f had a 35w stator, made the grips just lukewarm. you need to keep it isolated from the battery or they will destroy your battery from over discharge. use the AC isolated circuit the headlight uses only

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
don't bother with the headlight circuit with the AME grips. wire directly to your battery. The grips automatically turn off when the battery voltages drops below 12v i believe. The kit includes its own switches. Use them.

Never run high draw equipment on low wattage circuits. You run the risk of either burning up wiring and/or blowing circuits/fuses.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Sodahucker, I'm not sure you got your answer so I will offer some info on stators/alternators/generators. I am fairly certain your bike uses a permanent magnet stator/generator as do most bikes. In this system the magnets spin around the fixed stator/armature. The output of the stator is determined by the number of conductors/windings and the speed and strength of the spinning magnetic field. Unlike your automobile,where the strength of the magnetic field is regulated/changes with the current flowing in the field windings, the strength of the magnetic field is fixed in most bikes. So, the output of your stator is constant at a given rpm. The output is constant and what you don't use for lights etc is dumped to ground in the regulator. So by running that 45w grip on your 30w stator you use all the output and none gets dumped to ground. if your bike has neither a battery nor efi there will be no negative. if the stator puts out 30w at 7000 rpm it always puts out that 30w. it can be used for the grips or dumped to ground. Unless there are diodes in the ame switches they will work on both ac and dc. It is a resistance element like a filament in the light bulb. Sorry so long.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Soahucker, just thought of a negative. Because you would be using all output the voltage maynot get to the 12volt minimum that is apparently needed for the ame grips resulting in no, or on/off operation with limited heat.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Sounds like that brand requires dc but most heated grips do not. Why not use a different grip? Hot grips brand are well proven on duals ports and I've used them for two years on snowbikes. They are a bit larger diameter, which some riders may not like, but they are insulated from the bar and your hand gets all the heat, they are tough, they run on ac, and are amps (so on a 12v - 14.6v ac circuit, they draw 30 to 43.8 watts). They do draw the same amp on both high and low. But they are isolated from your dc battery circuit which I think is a good thing.Just one more option. Hotgrips.com.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Sodahucker, I'm not sure you got your answer so I will offer some info on stators/alternators/generators. I am fairly certain your bike uses a permanent magnet stator/generator as do most bikes. In this system the magnets spin around the fixed stator/armature. The output of the stator is determined by the number of conductors/windings and the speed and strength of the spinning magnetic field. Unlike your automobile,where the strength of the magnetic field is regulated/changes with the current flowing in the field windings, the strength of the magnetic field is fixed in most bikes. So, the output of your stator is constant at a given rpm. The output is constant and what you don't use for lights etc is dumped to ground in the regulator. So by running that 45w grip on your 30w stator you use all the output and none gets dumped to ground. if your bike has neither a battery nor efi there will be no negative. if the stator puts out 30w at 7000 rpm it always puts out that 30w. it can be used for the grips or dumped to ground. Unless there are diodes in the ame switches they will work on both ac and dc. It is a resistance element like a filament in the light bulb. Sorry so long.

I use ame on by cr500 and power it using a 45w lighting coil. They use a different switch than if you use a battery... I added a regulator... They work enough to get warm but you will not be like these are toasty... That being said it was better than using battery packs because they never lasted through a ride and the lithium would degrade in the cold... Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Premium Features