• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who is interested, proper steering increase mod

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Does anybody know if Kmod will be at haydays? I would like to buy a couple of these while I'm there. Thanks

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Wyo have you took the time to measure what the ski toe changes is as the suspension cycles. I understand the reasoning of having the two tie rods in line with one another but one being higher than the other would cause the tie rod with the higher angle have more toe change then the bottom one with a flatter angle i would think. Might not sound like a big deal but it would be nice to get some input of how it handles going wide open on the hard pack trails around corners and such. ( I know who cares about trails but we all have to ride them to get to the mountains. Well where i ride we do anyways.)

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
Wyo have you took the time to measure what the ski toe changes is as the suspension cycles. I understand the reasoning of having the two tie rods in line with one another but one being higher than the other would cause the tie rod with the higher angle have more toe change then the bottom one with a flatter angle i would think. Might not sound like a big deal but it would be nice to get some input of how it handles going wide open on the hard pack trails around corners and such. ( I know who cares about trails but we all have to ride them to get to the mountains. Well where i ride we do anyways.)

I didn't measure it but I have over 400 miles on one with a lot of rough fast trails we ride. I push everything we test in all conditions to look for any issues, my sled didn't handle any different on the fast trails than it had before the steering mod, it just was easier to handle on side hills and noticeably sharper turning in the tight spots.
Kevin

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota

since you're on the topic, just food for thought. Stacking the tie rods takes all of the ackerman out of the steering as well.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

I run mine straight to 1/4 toe, I have run faster than anyone else down the trail. Flat leave people behind. Never had an issue, if you have any toe in it will mess with you

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I've never had a single complaint, everyone likes it!

Not knocking your idea, that was just my findings when I messed with the steering last winter. Ackerman really isn't a big deal to mountain riders, but for a trail sled it would be.

Ackerman is the built in geometry in the steering to make the inside ski or tire turn further than the outside ski to help with cornering. (inside ski meaning closest to the center of the circle.) Which is why the inside ski when counter steering doesnt turn as far as the outside one. It would be the radius that both skis follow relative to the center of the turn. Since the vehicle is turning around the same center point, the inside ski has to turn more to keep the vehicle on track. Like I said, not really relative to mountain riding. But if one was worried about cornering ability, it may have an effect on it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Not knocking your idea, that was just my findings when I messed with the steering last winter. Ackerman really isn't a big deal to mountain riders, but for a trail sled it would be.

Ackerman is the built in geometry in the steering to make the inside ski or tire turn further than the outside ski to help with cornering. (inside ski meaning closest to the center of the circle.) Which is why the inside ski when counter steering doesnt turn as far as the outside one. It would be the radius that both skis follow relative to the center of the turn. Since the vehicle is turning around the same center point, the inside ski has to turn more to keep the vehicle on track. Like I said, not really relative to mountain riding. But if one was worried about cornering ability, it may have an effect on it.

Everyone I've ever rode with never kept up on the trail, maybe it's my extreme prejudice against tail riding and desire to be done with it that makes me go so fast, lol. I find my setups better for 80mph corners, but like I said any toe in and you know it!

Premium Features