• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski Rack for your snowmobile

W

wyhighcountrylodge

Oct 29, 2008
WY High Country Lodge, WY
With our new job came a great opportunity to do some backcountry skiing. I have the sled, the skis and the terrain. But, how to transport them safely and efficiently was the problem. It's just not convenient to strap them onto the rear tunnel or your back.

After a few nights of tossing and turning, I'd worked through the options in my head....spend $300 for a ski rack......no, mount a Yakima or Thule rack on the back...possible, but a little tricky. I wanted the taillight to still be visible, be able to ride double comfortably and safely and the sled couldn't get too "wide" with skis mounted sideways. I also wanted to keep the sled stock without having t0o make modifications or drill too many holes.

I didn't want to drill holes in the body of the sled or otherwise modify it. That's when I came back to the trusted accessory building material PVC.

As I'm sure you all know, PVC pipe is pretty versatile stuff. It allows you to simply connect lengths of pipe with only a saw, couplings and some glue. It is not the strongest or stiffest material which is both a problem and a blessing at the same time.

As a cheapskate, I was not going to drop$300 or more for a simple rack. So, after reviewing some of the contraptions that are for sale, I made a couple sketches and went down to the hardware store.

1393923_557481667658812_1029771898_n.jpg

photo.php

I've posted photos of the project on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=557481807658798&set=a.557481550992157.1073741886.497646536975659&type=3&theater

The total project cost was under $30, did not require drilling into the sled and resulted in a nice rigid set up which can carry several pair of skis, poles and/or snowboards. Total time invested (not counting the trip to the hardware store) was about 1 1/2 hours. The basic concept and design was simple and can be easily modified to fit other makes and sizes of sleds.

It would be pretty simple to add crossbars or side bars to this design to create a frame for holding a gas can or luggage.

Feel free to pass on this info and post your personal twists on the project.

Last edited:
Premium Features