• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

skinz or diamond s hoods....anyone use them?

T

tynels24

Aug 1, 2008
Volga SD
Anyone have pics on an m....do they lose shape if you roll,it over to get unstuck...how durable are they? Just looking for your thoughts! Thanks!

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Do a search, not too long ago there was a thread asking the same with some pictures. I have a diamond s and love the hood, but the fit is terrible, and AFTER buying it the work BEGINS. There is no latching system (so you get to fabricate your own), and where it meets up to the "dash" of the sled there are gaps all over the place and we're not talking about a 1/2" here or there, we're talking about 3" or 4" gaps that are 6" to 8" long (near where your knees are at). I said I love the hood though and the reason why is that it is light weight, breathes great, is VERY durable, and I really like his intake (made a HUGE difference on a bog I had in deep snow on my big bore). Just my $.02

T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
We have a Skinz hood on a M Series, if you roll the sled over in powder it is a non issue. Roll the sled over onto a rock, tree, etc, something is going to give. The great part is when we do bend the frame due to misuse, a quick trip to a welding shop, have them put some heat on the frame and bend it back into shape and you are back in business. That is also one of the nice things about the Skinz hood, if you really wreck something you can purchase the parts required seperately. The skin and each of the three panels that make up the frame all have replacement pieces available.

T

tynels24

Aug 1, 2008
Volga SD
man what to do

thanks guys...still dont know what i want to do...keep factory hood...and find a hood and vent it and remove headlights and gut intake off it...or go the skinz or diamond s path....

A

AbnRangerM7

Nov 22, 2008
Michigan
Here are a couple pics of a skins hood.
Good fit with only some small gaps. It's held up well so far and I am happy with it. If you run a loud can on your sled, be prepared for it to be even louder with a mesh hood.

DSCI0672.jpg

DSCI0051.jpg

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Skinz hood on a turbo

Have a Skinz hood I used a couple years ago but melted cover. Decided to use again with their new improved cover. They were good and threw in a hoodie with the cover. Installed it and used it for one good powder ride and after ride noticed cover melted just behind where they added reflective material above the pipe. My PV cables and protective sheaths melted and sled would heat up and give issues after working it. This is a turbo M1000 and I had been running stock hood with little venting and no issues. This hood promotes little to no airflow even with vent panels removed. Going back to stock or maybe a Diamond S. Fit was good, hinges are good but airflow is a problem. Seemed worse than when I last used it and I think it is due to the extra material put in where the problem melting areas were which restrict airflow. Hood should also give more upward clearance to motor like a Diamond S hood. Fits too close.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Diamond S- hoods are tough

fit is bad, but it will last for many years, had one for 3 seasons on my big bore

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have had a diamond s hood for four years and it looks good the fit sucks but with a little rubber hear and there it is good to go

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
Diamond S is awesome. I did nothing with the fit on the back with no issues. I did rivet a piece of plastic on the front up by the factory hinge mounts. I don't mind the lack of hinges at all. Engine noise gets old though.IMO that Skins hood looks like ###.

Last edited:
Premium Features