• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ADJUSTMENT OF OIL PUMP ON STOCK 2013 PRO

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I've read tons and tons of threads on this very subject.

I came to two conclusions on my 2011.

1) I turned my oiler up 3 turns so my threads are flush with the lock nut.

2) I put a Paaso Vented Oil Cap on at the same time.

I did all of this while I had the motor out for a MTNTEK Fix Kit installation.

I will caveat this by saying I haven't had the sled out yet since doing all this, but intend to take it out this Saturday for break in ride.

If you do a search on the subject you will be reading for the next two days, trust me! ;-)

Here's one thread in particular that I saved to my favorites and went by:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277595

A thread and link about vented cap:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374964

http://paasoracing.com/shop/polaris/vented-oil-cap-polaris/

Last edited:
T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
I've read tons and tons of threads on this very subject.

I came to two conclusions on my 2011.

1) I turned my oiler up 3 turns so my threads are flush with the lock nut.

2) I put a Paaso Vented Oil Cap on at the same time.

I did all of this while I had the motor out for a MTNTEK Fix Kit installation.

I will caveat this by saying I haven't had the sled out yet since doing all this, but intend to take it out this Saturday for break in ride.

I had mine apart yesterday to put in a fix kit too. I have a 2012, and it's only sitting at a little over 100 hours. My oil pump is set at what it was from the factory, and aside from dumping in whatever 60:1 I have left over at the end of fall from my dirtbike, I don't run premix either. I was pleasantly surprised at how wet the whole motor was when I tore it down, plenty of oil on everything. Wrist pin bearings didn't have any signs of heat, there weren't even any spots in either cylinder where the crosshatching was worn through. I decided that I didn't need to turn up my oiler, and that I should keep running the oil that I have been. I'm not trying to contradict anything you said, just offering up what my experience was.

Did you see signs of insufficient oil when you had your motor apart?

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Did you see signs of insufficient oil when you had your motor apart?

No, not particularly...but it wasn't a drippy, well preserved looking crankcase either. Looked pretty clean and dry to me.

I guess I would just rather err on the side of caution and buy a little extra oil than have a catastrophic failure down the road when the wife and I are way back in the back country some where and have to have her tow me out for many, many miles.

Maybe its the aircraft mechanic in me that makes me this way, I don't know?

I also switched to Redline oil at the recommendation of MTNTEK guys and again, more research I've done.

What oil have you been running?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
2013 RMK Assault.

I turned mine up 2 turns from stock. I have not doubled checked the true usage yet but it is up from before and seems to be on par with every other sled I have owned as far as oil usage per day. I'm at 1800 miles and will run this season (another 5-700 miles) and then send the motor to Indy Dan next summer no matter what happens this season. I plan to keep this sled for awhile.

I know two guys that have done this and have over 4,000 on their sleds without being touched. One RMK and one Switchback Assault. Both 2013's. I do not know anyone personally with a 2013-2015 that has lost a motor but a few 2011-2012 that have.

Like others have said there is a ton of reading on this topic. Enough to make your head spin. LOL

No, not particularly...but it wasn't a drippy, well preserved looking crankcase either. Looked pretty clean and dry to me.

I guess I would just rather err on the side of caution and buy a little extra oil than have a catastrophic failure down the road when the wife and I are way back in the back country some where and have to have her tow me out for many, many miles.

Maybe its the aircraft mechanic in me that makes me this way, I don't know?

I also switched to Redline oil at the recommendation of MTNTEK guys and again, more research I've done.
i am new to owning a 2012 pro i was just about to dump LUCAS SEMI-SYNTHETIC in the tank , is this a mistake ?

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA

What oil have you been running?

Cool, I was just curious.

I've been running Amsoil Interceptor since I ran through the gallon of Polaris oil the dealer gave me with the sled. I'm not all fundamentalist religious about oil, I just get this stuff cheaper than I can get anything else and it has a good enough track record. Motors have lasted forever on every oil out there and motors have only made it 2 hours on every oil out there.

is lucas semi-synthetic a mystake in my 12 pro?

Now, I know what I just said, but... it's a better idea to run full synthetic oil, that's what Polaris calls for. There aren't many semi-synthetic 2 stroke oils out there, not many people run them and as a result there isn't much data on their success.

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I started out with 3 turns just to be on the safe side. After calculating my consumption, I was around 35:1. That sets fine with me so I left it at that. If someone doesn't want to take the time to find out what the ratio is, no big deal, just turn it up 3 turns and feel good about knowing that you're giving it more oil. There is a hand full of threads on this subject BTW.

Premium Features