• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR860 vs RK860

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
If we can't use their "advertised" claims of HP, what exactly are we supposed to use as a measuring stick for real world performance? Reputation, reliability, accessibility to info, and turn around time are all important, but the REAL reason we want a kit (any kit) and are willing to pay for it is the biggest increase in performance for the money. What you and some of others seem to be saying is pick a reputation and hope it was the best performance for the price. I have a hard time making a decision based on that kind of logic.

That being said, you are right, the HP numbers can be manipulated to tell the buyer what they want to hear. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes it's that they simply neglect to include all the pertinent data such as altitude, temp, jetting, etc.

Absent some real world comparisons side by side with identical sleds and riders I guess the "who's runs best" arguments will run on forever.

I had hoped that RK had a REAL gain of some kind (their reflash program,etc), as they have been silent on how this extra hp was obtained I will now view their claim as nothing more than advertising hyperbole.

Last edited:

FUZZY7004

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
NORTHWEST IOWA
Youre right , 9 hp is signifigant. What i was saying is that the likely hood of there being 9 hp is small. They have both seen each others motors , heck they share info all the time Im sure , trying to improve things where they can. Again what im saying is if you took either of these motors and dynod them at the same place i bet the difference would be slight. RTK dynos at the shop he wants to and sets the carbs where he wants to and gets 180 on that dyno , BJ sends his somewhere else and maybe runs his jets a lil different just because thats what he thinks is safe and he gets 171 on that dyno. Dyno number means squat. I know they fun to talk about and brag about but i have seen 90% of the bolton hp gainers do diddly. Find a shop that guys are constantly praising and go there. 182 hp on the trailer gets beat everytime by 170 on the hill. sj

True so very true

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The difference is in the porting. Both kits use the same head and same piston. They each have thier own porting specs.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Few things I have noticed for getting bib bore info. The real #'s are scarce from the builders and real dyno sheets. BJ has never posted or shown a dyno sheet peroid! There is a guy with a majoy RKT complaint on dootalk. I don't beleive personally in the big bores I think its a joke your increasing the cyl by such a small margin the BB is doing maybe 4 hp of the work. If the BB isn't ported its a joke. There are many guys whom keep coming out of the woodwork and admit the BB's are not there like they say.

post #26 http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=332849&st=15&start=15

And you are???

I believe my customers/work speek for themselves...plus the engines from "other" builders I have seen/fixed does also...

As for the 60cc...ever ride a 60cc dirt bike??...ever use a 60cc chain saw?? I wonder how a 0cc dirt bike would run?? or how much wood a 0cc chainsaw would cut...LOL

SHR/RKT 860's are ported very well...use the best heads...use the best piston...and as a "combination" this motor works well...its NOT just the 60cc's...BJ

BTW- Since the 860 BB are joke (according to you), PGTM8's must be too?? since my/RKT 860's can match them on a hill...

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I went with John's 860 this year BECAUSE he DOES NOT post dyno sheets with big numbers. His customers speak for him, both in the performance of his BB and the customer service. Not many shops get this.....they throw out big, unrealistic numbers to get your attention and to ME this is a giant red flag.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
The only reason I started this thread was to simply get RK to address the claim that they were getting extra HP, the fact that they didn't respond indicates to me at least that it was nothing more than advertising hyperbole.

Absent any real performance increase I would have to think SHR would be the only choice as customer satisfaction/relations is the second most important after performance, and I really haven't seen anyone who has a bad thing to say about BJ. In the Internet world that speaks volumes, as you don't have to look very hard to find varying levels of complaints about all the rest!

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I went with John's 860 this year BECAUSE he DOES NOT post dyno sheets with big numbers. His customers speak for him, both in the performance of his BB and the customer service. Not many shops get this.....they throw out big, unrealistic numbers to get your attention and to ME this is a giant red flag.

Thats a BIG X2

My SHR860 should be wrapped up Thursday:D

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007

DINGDINGDING...we have a winner:D

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
You want dyno sheets?? how about BMP's 184 hp wiseco piston motor...wanna take that one deep in the woods??

Umm Why wouldn't you? Whats wrong with Wiseco? I have used their pistons for years. Not bashing, I would like a real reply because if there is a problem I want to know. I thought the BMP stuff looked pretty good at the snow show?

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY

I dont know if I 100% agree with that. By throwing out big numbers they are taking a real risk. When I was heavy into sand dragging quads, there were a few company's that claimed big numbers and some did just what they claimed to mosts suprise. I took the chance on one and was mopping up at the hill. The only way to truely know is find someone with the kit and test it.

Dbook

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
yea but youre not going to advertise those , you can be pretty sure any numbers used in a ad are corrected .

Very correct they would not show pretty if they used uncorrected numbers. Even if they printed it in the ad peeps would mis quote it.

And on topic of this post I dont think you could go wrong with either builder. Not sure on the H.P diffrences.

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
And you are???

I believe my customers/work speek for themselves...plus the engines from "other" builders I have seen/fixed does also...

You want dyno sheets?? how about BMP's 184 hp wiseco piston motor...wanna take that one deep in the woods??

As for the 60cc...ever ride a 60cc dirt bike??...ever use a 60cc chain saw?? I wonder how a 0cc dirt bike would run?? or how much wood a 0cc chainsaw would cut...LOL

SHR/RKT 860's are ported very well...use the best heads...use the best piston...and as a "combination" this motor works well...its NOT just the 60cc's...BJ

BTW- Since the 860 BB are joke (according to you), PGTM8's must be too?? since my/RKT 860's can match them on a hill...

So people buy from you based on what exactly a reputation? Prove that the motor makes the power and post a dyno sheet or do you even own a dyno? Still never seen an SHR at dynotech even to be verified. First thing I would look for in a kit. Lets see some proof SHR.

The increase in the bore size cannot account for much HP its a gimmick at best and a costly one when you consider what a good ported motor will make for HP. The 860 is a gimmick.

60cc chain saw thats a good one, something that wouldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot.

Your not increasing the bore size enough to justify the cost of doing it in the first place.

Post a dyno sheet Champ, also let the guys know all the extra's ontop of that 1995 price.

Another happy customer eh BJ
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176300

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alot of people think these so called big bores are wonderfull, only because they are getting help with poor clutching at the same time. IMO

Premium Features