• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m1000 piston melted need advice

B

braaaapp

Dec 24, 2015
First off to everyone hello. I'm new to this fourm have been reading lots of good information on here didn't think I would need to post but now I do. I bought a 08 m1000 last late March from a guy up in stillwater mn I'm from Geen bay my crossfire got junked last year and I wanted to upgrade to a m wanna start Goin out west at least twice a year and still ride UP if I'm all over the road I'm sorry. Anyways late last March got it home its stock other that a speedwerks can has 700 miles on it the guy gave me a boondocker with it but said he tried it once and it was better without I took it around the field couple times snow melted season over this year I got it ready so I though changed to a snow stuff can took it couple times around field and then just went to the UP and I made it 10 miles down trail and lost the pto side no compress I mabey have a total of 20 miles on this thing I'll post a pic of piston any thoughts are appreciated did I do something or was it junk when I got it

IMG_2351.jpg

M

mocflats

Jan 21, 2009
Looks like detonation to me I'm petty sure if you change the y pipe can or pipe on the 1000 you have to use some sort of fuel control box or have the ecu flashed

B

braaaapp

Dec 24, 2015
It has stock y and pipe just the aftermarket can I have had a can on my crossfire 700 and zr 900 never owned a 1000 yet so any info is appreciated I have the boondocker just never used on before

B

braaaapp

Dec 24, 2015
Might have had a little in it yet in think it was less than quarter tank

B

braaaapp

Dec 24, 2015
Ok thanks I have a friend of mine help in me he has lots more experience than I do with rebuild I wasn't sure when he said it might be the can cuz it was only the one side. Can u run just a can on a 1000 with no fuel box sounds badazz but we Goin to togwotee in 3 weeks don't want to F it up again

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Always pump/dump old gas out before first ride. Todays gas starts to go bad in a month or 2. Also what octane did you use...ethanol or non ethanol. Were you doing long wide open throttle on a trail, what rpms were you hitting, were you running a consent RPM(6500 is a lean spot on mine), ..... fresh 91+ octane NON ETHANOL. and no long WOT on trails, always vary the throttle. M1000 can be temperamental if not run/operated right

Last edited:
B

braaaapp

Dec 24, 2015
I was running 87 octane that's what everyone says to run my buddy ran 91 in his and it didn't run that great all our 87 is pretty much some ethanol in it I was hitting 7250 wot mabey only had wot for 45 sec yhen that's when she was done I vary thottle always while riding and always warm it up good this was in the first 10 miles that I ran this sled hard since I bought it

J
Aug 31, 2011
too me, that is sucking air and melting the edge of the piston like a blow torch, on the exhaust side.. 07-09 where tuned to run 87 octane, even ethanol....I would suck out all the old gas every year and replace with fresh.
This is what detonation looks like.... http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392459
It was probably a nightmare to the previous owner and thats why he sold it. You need to be sure why it burned down before you throw new pistons at it and drag it 800 miles to ride....

Last edited:

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
If the other side had even a little sign of evidence of being lean you might be able to say it was the old gas but if its isolated to the one side you need to find the problem.
reed boot
inj plug- the pins inside
inj wires

good luck

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I don't think it was deto, those marks on the piston were probably from the aluminum bouncing around. It looks like it was pretty hot on that side judging by the blue color of the wrist pin. I would guess the old gas and possible some gunk in the injector caused the issue. I've also seen where the fuel pressure was a little low and it would starve out one injector. I would throw that sno stuff can away and put the speedwerx back on too. The boondocker should clean the running up but only if it is adjusted right, they can be very hard to program correctly but once you get them set right they work well. You would not need it with the speedwerx can on it, if you do a full exhaust system you have to have it. Grab a re-plated cylinder and new piston with bearing and wrist pin, check the fuel pressure, put new premium fuel in it along with some injector cleaner in it. Pop the injectors out and pull it over checking the fuel spray. You might want to do a 100/1 premix also. Put some miles on it around home before ruining a trip west. Only reason I said premium fuel was to give it a good test run at home, it burns cooler and less likely to cause issues. I assume the engine was stock and the heads had not been altered. Check your plugs often until you a confident all is well.

B

braaaapp

Dec 24, 2015
Is there any possibility that it would be the pto side crank seal would that suck air and burn up that side

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Definitely detonation. I know...I did that to my 2007 M1000 once. For me, it was caused by not enough fuel....but both pistons were affected although only one seized because it was a bit hotter.

Causes?
- Lack of octane (unlikely)
- Can flows too much and leaned it down
- Air leak somewhere (y pipe donut, intake boots, base gasket, crank seal, etc.)
- Bad injector (might be bad injector, bad wiring, etc.)
- Clogged injector
- Low fuel pressure
- Oring leak at heads, allowing coolant into that cylinder (unlikely).
- Too much timing (unlikely, unless you held it at midrange forever and started the process).

If it was me, I would pressure test the motor for an air leak. If that checks out, I would check fuel pressure. Then injector function. And the next time you go, I would run higher octane gas to be safer. Good luck.

My problem? I had a y pipe with can and heads with fuel controller...controller lost it's power wire and it burned down because the controller didn't work anymore.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Deto and running lean are two different things, deto is pre-ignition caused by low octane fuel igniting too soon, basically running like a diesel and igniting the fuel by compressing it. Blowing the ring groove off is usually caused by deto but looking at the heating of the wrist pin it looks like ever heating. It could be a little of each! Lean is just not enough fuel being fed to it. To answer the question about the pto side seal leaking is yes, that is the side you see the most issues with. Usually that seal gets damaged by blowing a belt and getting fibers wrapped around the shaft or a un-balanced clutch.

J
Aug 31, 2011
Was that the PTO side that burned down? Is that burn on the front of the piston or backside? What does a 2 stroke pinging sound like?

Last edited:
Premium Features