• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 KTM 450 SXF FE

J
Oct 30, 2008
Hello, I just traded my carb bike in on an EFI bike so I don't know much about how to trouble shoot its problems. First ride it ran great until we shut down for lunch, then ran very rough with back fire until I got it back to truck. Warmed up & dried out in garage and it started fine and idled well. Next time to start in garage it was back to rough running, quitting, & would die whenever I tried to give it throttle. Seems like it's getting too much fuel but I don't know how to change that or if it's really the cause. Any suggestions for a newbie EFI guy?

U
Jan 29, 2018
It sounds like a fuel filter to me. There may be one inline and one in the tank. If so, change both. Don't bother checking or cleaning since this is a "new to you" bike, just change them. Also check spark plug and boot and air filter for debris/water/snow etc..

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Small inline fuel filter on the left side of the tank, its inside the disconnect so its very easy to change. Replace it , clean the old one and carry the old as a spare.

Intank filters can be an issue but not common.

J
Dec 16, 2018
If someone removed the inline filter it could be a plugged injector. It sounds like similar symptoms we have been fighting on my brothers Husaberg.

Later,

Jake

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
been there

check your battery ground, must be TIGHT and clean, check ground to frame and engine mus be tight and CLEAN.

The plug on the back of the tank for fuel pump hook up is female side up( not good in lots of wet ) clean and dry it and use some dialectic grease on this plug

I have been out with KTMs doing the same as described, cleaned and tightened grounds and dried plug, and the bikes ran great the rest of the day.

Premium Features