• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has this happened to anybody

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
i started my sled, sprayed walter brake klean on area below y pipe and the fumes cought on fire, i shut machine of to put fire out. so does this mean i got a exaust leak somewhere in that area, or can it even be an intake leak???

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
means don;t spray a flammable while running..!!!...any little discharge of static electricity could have started it...don;t worry..oil will indicate exhaust leak..lean plugs will indicate intake leak..check for intake leak running (intake boots..etc)with wd 40..its less flammable(the engine rpm will change if the intake leak sucks in wd 40 )....but really i wouldn;t worry about anything being wrong

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
lol i was just giving the engine a little cleaning from a leaky oil cap and thats wat happened, i wasnt tryin to find a leak lol

W
Sep 23, 2008
Morgan, Utah
This is Awesome!!! Did you get it on Video? Sounds like my buddy who used brake cleaner to clean his headlights. Lets just say the headlights are not clear anymore. They have more of a smoked look now!!!! LOL

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
No I didn't get it on viedo lol it shocked me and I was blanked on wat to do , than I shut er off and the flames went out lol. So moral of story is, "don't spray cleaner on engine while running" lol

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
To test for intake leaks, I occasionall spray starting fluid at all suspect areas (intake boots, crank seal, etc) and wait for any change in the RPMs. Hasn't ever worked for me, but it also hasn't lit anything on fire either.

Also, careful what your spraying brake cleaner on since it eats some seals, gaskets, plastic and rubber. Although I'm not sure it's a good idea, I like to loosen up dirt and grease with electrical contact cleaner. Seams to work as well as brake fluid and it's safe on most plastics and rubber.

Premium Features