• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric starter kit with lightweight battery

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
Does anyone know if I can buy an electric starter kit with a lightweight battery instead of the normal battery. The only kit I see is the regular ski doo kit with a heavy battery. I wouldn't mind buying the kit with no battery option as well but have not seen that option.

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
Yep I do, the wife just can't pull it over so it's just a convenience for her, but I don't want to sacrifice that much weight.

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
I bought a new replacement starter off of ebay, $100.00 and a 300cca lithium battery off the internet, for 149.99. Bought the cables and battery box from skidoo. Got a new replacement starter relay off of ebay for 15.00. This is not a kit but for just over 300 I got everything you are looking for. Walmart sells the same battery I bought and has it cheaper. I didn't shop enough on that. 119 is their price

Last edited:

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
Thanks for all the replies guys , I bought a used take off starter "kit" already. Do you know the number of the lithium battery by chance?

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
You could always buy the kit and sell the battery for cheap or at least cheaper then list so that someone will surely buy it. just a thought

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I wish Doo would look at their policies about this. Guys that want to add them to snowchecks pay out the rear, but they include them on sleds that should NOT be e-start. My 2015 600 XRS last year was e-start ONLY. I pulled it, bought a side panel, had a starter, and converted it. (Pain in the rear.) Why sell the hottest 600 trail sled Doo makes with an e-start?
My 137 Freeride this year I had no choice again, e-start ONLY. On a Freeride.
I don't get it. I am not even going to bother swapping it out this year, even though I made money doing it last year. Too much work swapping panels, ordering decals, etc..
Sigh.......

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
I can not confirm that, I did not put it on a scale. I know it weighs way less than my smaller ATV, and smaller KTM battery. If I had to compare it to something, it feels similar to a liter bottle of soda, in weight. I should have weighed it, but really didn't care that much, it felt light to me and that was good enough for me.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
I wish Doo would look at their policies about this. Guys that want to add them to snowchecks pay out the rear, but they include them on sleds that should NOT be e-start. My 2015 600 XRS last year was e-start ONLY. I pulled it, bought a side panel, had a starter, and converted it. (Pain in the rear.) Why sell the hottest 600 trail sled Doo makes with an e-start?
My 137 Freeride this year I had no choice again, e-start ONLY. On a Freeride.
I don't get it. I am not even going to bother swapping it out this year, even though I made money doing it last year. Too much work swapping panels, ordering decals, etc..
Sigh.......

what's the problem of having a e start? the power of pushing a button and having your sled start is awesome!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Spending mucho $$$ in lightening up a sled just to fatten it up with E start that cost some more $ :eyebrows: Kind of counter productive. My Mrs is pretty pissed on how much lighter my 800 is over here 600 XM Thats e start for you.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm on my third lithium Ion battery and I can say with some confidence that they have limitations. I started with a Li-Ion on my Nytro, and as crazy as it sounds the 800 Etec is harder to start than an 3 cylinder Nytro at any given temperature.

I could trust my Li-Ion to start my Nytro down to -10 celcius, no problem. My Summit would be half of that -5C. I could probably spend 15 minutes cycling the battery to get the Summit to go in colder temps, but not going there....too hard on the starter/electrical system.

Basically I use the Li-ion in spring conditions when its warm or any situation where the battery will stay warm...like day drives.

I use the biggest Shorai LFX36L3-BS12, which is the biggest possible and almost the same size as the stocker battery.

OTM

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
This electric start I purchased doesn't have the wiring harness to plug in the solinoid to the main harness, ski told me they don't sell just the plug in harness they have in there kit, does anyone know where I can get one, or at least the ends to make one with the wiring diagram?

Premium Features