• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

174 T3 chassis.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have always said that he Poo felt snappier on the bottom end. I know it's not on the top. Doo always seemed to, as Pantera sang "Walk on by boy!". I think that has to do with clutching. It has to. Other than a rental from West Yellowstone last year this is my first Doo in 15 years so I'll run it for a while and see how it does before I start changing anything but I am sure I will miss the Polaris "snappy" bottom end. Where does a guy start? Primary? Secondary?

The Axys bottom snap makes the Pro look sluggish! I thought my 13 Pro was plenty snappy, but this Axys really feels connected to the ground.
I tried a different secondary spring, 154 T3, it helped backshift at speed, but I didn't care for it in other aspects. The Etec just screams on top, it is even better for 16, a guy I rode with that had a belt drive Doo last year rode a bone stocker with 0 miles today and agreed that Doo made some more improvements in the engine.
Almost every post I have found about the SLP setup that was negative was from guys who didn't install the SLP recommended clutching. I am going to get my pipe and clutching on and see, I think getting some compression back with the head will help out with throttle response. Maybe I should just do the head first......

S

STACAIR

Nov 6, 2009
I have always said that he Poo felt snappier on the bottom end. I know it's not on the top. Doo always seemed to, as Pantera sang "Walk on by boy!". I think that has to do with clutching. It has to. Other than a rental from West Yellowstone last year this is my first Doo in 15 years so I'll run it for a while and see how it does before I start changing anything but I am sure I will miss the Polaris "snappy" bottom end. Where does a guy start? Primary? Secondary?

What were you riding before? Did you make the switch too a 174 T3? or? I was on a big bore pro last season with a 3" 156 and 37" kit it in front. Now I'm on 16 axys but Im really on the fence about a T3 Doo. Been doing more reading in the last few days then I have done in years on sleds lol. Id like too hear from anyone who's ridden both and is advanced rider in technical, deep snow terrain and hear their opinion. Thanks!

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Well my 13' Pro 800 was stock in the motor but clutching was not. I had titanium springs and a TIED secondary. It REALLY back shifted nicely. PULL your arms off kind of nicely. Because I always seemed to get bad Polaris motors I never messed with them. Tried to keep them stock for warranty purposes so most of my mods were chassis and clutching. The new 16' T3 163 is my first Doo since my 01' 144 800 Summit X 800. Big difference to say the least. I just wish I had some good snow so I could at least get a few miles on it. When I rented the SP 154 last year I would hop on and off it and ride my Pro 800 for comparison. My dad still rides the same sled and my friend bought my old Pro so I guess I'll have some thing to compare to if nothing else.

I am not complaining about bottom end grunt. Please don't think I am. I haven't even ran this beast yet. Just trying to get some information in my brain before I do so I can pay attention to how the sled feels and reacts.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
If this helps: My bud had a 14 Pro 163 with 3", then bought a 15 T3 174. After a mediocre snow season, he thought about buying a new 16 Axys and selling the 174, keep his Pro as a backup. Then he rode the 174 again, in spring snow, and his quote was "I am not going to give this up." He sold the Pro, bought the Axys, and kept the T3. After riding the 2.6 163 Axys in some deep he thinks that it will be comparable to the T3. He also rode his wife's 15 Pro after riding his Axys and hated the Pro, lol.
I rode his 14 with 3" back to back with my 174 and there was NO comparison. The Polaris felt like it had an anchor hanging off the back on steep climbs, and in the super deep I had to track rob my 174 tracks to get moving on a hill, and there was no way I could get up as high, even track robbing.
I think when it comes down to it, weight disadvantage and all, there is no replacement for track contact patch.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
What were you riding before? Did you make the switch too a 174 T3? or? I was on a big bore pro last season with a 3" 156 and 37" kit it in front. Now I'm on 16 axys but Im really on the fence about a T3 Doo. Been doing more reading in the last few days then I have done in years on sleds lol. Id like too hear from anyone who's ridden both and is advanced rider in technical, deep snow terrain and hear their opinion. Thanks!

Where are you located? The shop here has a demo 154 T3 for just this reason, and I have a 174 that people can try.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Yah, I like it. After spending so much time on the 174 last year, it is a fun quick sled. It won't climb anywhere close to the 174, but it turns sharper and is easy to lift the skis over stuff. 250 miles on it, one more ride to get it off the break in clock.

S

STACAIR

Nov 6, 2009
Central BC. Ive rode the XM before few times but the T3 163 only once last season. I love the downhill carving feel and the way it generally works in super deep pow. And I like the clickers on clutch. 3 inch tracks changed the clutching game as I found out last year. Snow conditions really really make a big difference with the 3 inch and clutching needs too change for different areas and elevations. Axys is harder too make changes quickly and accurately.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Agree and disagree to a point.
I just popped my 154 clutch apart for the 6th time in 200 miles. To change some stuff around and try to get this rig to be snappy with the SLP pipe.
For primary I am messing with primary pin weights, spring, ramps. Lots of combos. It takes a few special tools, and patience. Clutch has to come off the sled every time.
If it was a Poo I would be able to swap the arms out on the sled in the field for testing, as well as the spring.
Secondary takes the SLP tool to get the helix off or pull the jackshaft, a compressor either way. Same amount of internal parts to swap as the Polaris, except one bolt and the Poo is on the bench for work.
Clickers ARE awesome.
Yet the new Poos don't seem to need them/aren't as elevation finicky. My bud was pulling 8300rpm with his SLP piped Axys at 6000-7000 feet, he went on vacation and was able to run the same weights at 1200-9000 feet.
Interesting though on both ends. I wish Doo would just simplify stuff.
Poo has been using the 10-62 weight since the late 80's. Same ramp angle, same weight. You don't even want to know how many ramps Doo has. ;)

Y
Nov 16, 2012
It is the TRA clutch that makes the mush you feel

One thing that I am going to be working on is getting some throttle response out of my sleds this year. I rode an Axys and it made me realize how "mushy" the Doos feel. The Axys is like a two stroke dirt bike in the throttle response. The Doos feel like a 4 stroke 450 or even a diesel.
Don't get me wrong, the Doo will still smoke the Axys on top, but the feeling when riding the two is the complete opposite as far as snap.

It is just the TRA clutch that makes the ROTAX feel mushy. I use the P-85 on my Doo

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I rode the stock 174 last two days, DEEP as ballz. I have no complaints about any of it, clutching, anything. It is spot on and while not as advanced as the Axys sleds, it can hang. I have three DJ kits on the way, as well as an SSI mountain head and two SSI cans, they are all for sale. The 2016 Doos are dialed, I ordered all that stuff based on riding my 154 T3 with an SLP pipe. Which is also for sale. Unless you are doing straight mountain climbs, the SLP does not work. Stock, the new Doos (2016) are dialed.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
If my memory is correct it takes a lot. The P-85 has a different taper and possibly size of shaft. I remember a place in Billings, MT trying it when my ex-brother-in-law was running their service department. That was back when the first Summit 800's came out but I would believe it would take just as much work. If it was easy to do, everyone would do it.

Y
Nov 16, 2012
If my memory is correct it takes a lot. The P-85 has a different taper and possibly size of shaft. I remember a place in Billings, MT trying it when my ex-brother-in-law was running their service department. That was back when the first Summit 800's came out but I would believe it would take just as much work. If it was easy to do, everyone would do it.
It is easy to doo, if you have a machine shop in town and a doo crank stub to take to the shop.
I used the stock P-85 out of a 06 900 Polaris with electric start. I flipped the Poo starter ring over to move the ring closer to the starter on the Doo, and have electric start as well.
The machine shop needs your TRA as well to measure how far in to sink the Doo stub in the P-85, then the primary is aligned with the secondary, and it is bolt on and go.
I have about 8.000km on that clutch now, and this is the third sled this P-85 has been on.
Maybe if the new BRP pDrive clutch is any good it will replace the P-85 as the dominate mountain clutch for the last 30 years.

IMG_2859 [Desktop Resolution].jpg IMG_2733 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Premium Features