• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PCV MAPS and Polaris ECU Flashes

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
A BIG thank you to the guys that have sent me MAPS already for my PCV. I have a few questions though and I am sure others maybe wondering the same as more guys buy a PCV. I am still running the update flash from Polaris from Oct/2009. Which PCV MAP from SLP and DynoJim works and/or works best with this flash? Same question for the Jan/2010 (1/14) Polaris flash, which PCV MAP from SLP and DynoJim works and/or works best with this flash. Is there a particular MAP/flash combo that works best overall or is it an individual sled issue or personal prefernce? I am assuming that IF I WANTED to try and modify one of these existing MAPs that I could and save it as one of my own personal MAPS? Again my 09 D8 has an SLP single pipe on it. Thanks guys!!!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Sled: 09 800 155 SLP pipe and intake piece with 2010 update

I'm using SLP's 70-216A map with the original 2010 Polaris update and map which is what SLP rec'd for 3,000-6,000 ft.

Runs perfect, spot on with Carls helix. In comparison with an 860 Dragon.. gets me by about a sled and a half to 2 sled lengths. I weigh 40lbs more than the 860 rider.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
08 d8 with original 2008 mapping. Stock pipe ceramic coated with modified intake. I'm also using the SLP map and is working very well.
I was hoping to use the auto tune feature this season, but missed the opportunity. I feel there is still more to be gained on my sled since I capped the exhaust valves. It did run surprisingly well though with just the SLP map. I was riding 4-6000ft and it ran better with the accelerator pump function enabled. I assume that was due to how my valves were working. :thumb:

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Sled: 09 800 155 SLP pipe and intake piece with 2010 update

I'm using SLP's 70-216A map with the original 2010 Polaris update and map which is what SLP rec'd for 3,000-6,000 ft.

Runs perfect, spot on with Carls helix. In comparison with an 860 Dragon.. gets me by about a sled and a half to 2 sled lengths. I weigh 40lbs more than the 860 rider.

This is what I run and it's perfect for me as well!

R
Nov 24, 2005
OK guys, this what I have: 08 800 original map, SLP Races Twins w/ceramic coating, custom porting and Hi-comp head 14/1 by Terra Alps racing. I have a brand new PCV with no map yet. Which direction do you boys think I should head. Anybody running a Auto Tune? Those are expensive as well. It runs pretty good right now with a pure-logic box on it. But defiantly could be better. It has a low to mid range bog that cleans up but doesn't allow you to climb very well because the RPM's take to long to spin up. It turns about 7900 to 8000. Let's hear it! What do you think!!!

~Rookie

PS. This is in a IQr mod

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Here's my summary on the PCV which I just installed and ran for one weekend so far.
First off, I'll qualify my set up. 09 Dragon, on original UPDATE flash (done Dec.09). Running SLP pipe/can/y-pipe, cold air intake, 19/42 gears, Carls helix, Ron's weights. Prior to PCV install I have been running with ethanol wires unplugged at all times and sled has run FANTASTIC.
Based on the above I was hesitant to buy PCV but opted to try it for any small potential gains but also the "safety" in the mid range.
I got the SLP map and two of the Dynotech Jim maps to compare. I opted for the SLP map. (by the way, SLP and Jim both recommended the original update flash as the best one to start from) The reason I chose the SLP map after viewing them in the PCV software was that the DTJ maps were rich in the mid by a huge amount, upwards of 20% as well as added fuel around or just off idle. The top end was similar although SLP was very slightly leaner. Based on how well mine ran without the PCV, I felt that much added fuel in the mid was way too much.
I also took the time to sync my TPS which was a good choice as the default was off. This is an easy procedure which requires you to install the PCV, connect your laptop with the PCV software running, and power up your ECU (which I did with a 12V battery) and in the software there is a simple step to set IDLE TPS voltage and WOT TPS voltage to sync the PCV and sled together.
Ran the sled at 3500-6500' on the weekend, above freezing temps, heavy, deep snow.
Sled ran excellent all day long. No major gains that I can brag about but it did run very clean on the top end. Did not see a clear gain in RPM as expected but the snow was wet and heavy which may have contributed. Mid was responsive and strong although it did sound slightly rich still but not enough to be an issue. Probably hurt mileage slightly but would be certainly safer from the mid range burn down perspective.
I would consider a couple changes to the map to take a slight amount of fuel out of the mid which I can easily do and save as my own custom map.
One question I have now is if I plug in the ethanol wires do I get a clean 5% leaner map all the way thru?? Can anyone confirm the specific effect of plugging the wires in? I have heard about "5% leaner" but would like a confirmation. This may be all the correction I need.
Overall, happy with my purchase and I look forward to further fine tweaks to get it right on the money. Very easy to use software and install.
Cheers.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Here's my summary on the PCV which I just installed and ran for one weekend so far.
First off, I'll qualify my set up. 09 Dragon, on original UPDATE flash (done Dec.09). Running SLP pipe/can/y-pipe, cold air intake, 19/42 gears, Carls helix, Ron's weights. Prior to PCV install I have been running with ethanol wires unplugged at all times and sled has run FANTASTIC.
Based on the above I was hesitant to buy PCV but opted to try it for any small potential gains but also the "safety" in the mid range.
I got the SLP map and two of the Dynotech Jim maps to compare. I opted for the SLP map. (by the way, SLP and Jim both recommended the original update flash as the best one to start from) The reason I chose the SLP map after viewing them in the PCV software was that the DTJ maps were rich in the mid by a huge amount, upwards of 20% as well as added fuel around or just off idle. The top end was similar although SLP was very slightly leaner. Based on how well mine ran without the PCV, I felt that much added fuel in the mid was way too much. Ran the sled at 3500-6500' on the weekend, above freezing temps, heavy, deep snow. Sled ran excellent all day long. No major gains that I can brag about but it did run very clean on the top end. Did not see a clear gain in RPM as expected but the snow was wet and heavy which may have contributed. Mid was responsive and strong although it did sound slightly rich still but not enough to be an issue. Probably hurt mileage slightly but would be certainly safer from the mid range burn down perspective.
I would consider a couple changes to the map to take a slight amount of fuel out of the mid which I can easily do and save as my own custom map.
One question I have now is if I plug in the ethanol wires do I get a clean 5% leaner map all the way thru?? Can anyone confirm the specific effect of plugging the wires in? I have heard about "5% leaner" but would like a confirmation. This may be all the correction I need.
Overall, happy with my purchase and I look forward to further fine tweaks to get it right on the money. Very easy to use software and install.
Cheers.

Great update GKR. I should be receiving my PCV this week sometime. It has been shipped. I have always ran my sled with the ethanol wires plugged in. That is one question I never asked SLP or DTJ if their MAPS were made for plugged or unplugged ethanol wires. I would assume for plugged in wires, but I will email and ask. Thanks again.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I got the SLP map and two of the Dynotech Jim maps to compare. I opted for the SLP map. (by the way, SLP and Jim both recommended the original update flash as the best one to start from) The reason I chose the SLP map after viewing them in the PCV software was that the DTJ maps were rich in the mid by a huge amount, upwards of 20% as well as added fuel around or just off idle. The top end was similar although SLP was very slightly leaner. Based on how well mine ran without the PCV, I felt that much added fuel in the mid was way too much.
I also took the time to sync my TPS which was a good choice as the default was off. This is an easy procedure which requires you to install the PCV, connect your laptop with the PCV software running, and power up your ECU (which I did with a 12V battery) and in the software there is a simple step to set IDLE TPS voltage and WOT TPS voltage to sync the PCV and sled together.
Ran the sled at 3500-6500' on the weekend, above freezing temps, heavy, deep snow.
Sled ran excellent all day long. No major gains that I can brag about but it did run very clean on the top end. Did not see a clear gain in RPM as expected but the snow was wet and heavy which may have contributed. Mid was responsive and strong although it did sound slightly rich still but not enough to be an issue. Probably hurt mileage slightly but would be certainly safer from the mid range burn down perspective.
Cheers.

Great feedback and excellent points on synching the PC -3/5 to the sled.

Plugging in the wires LEANS it out 5% OVER THE ENTIRE RANGE. That's equivalent to 2 or 3 jets sizes for comparison purposes.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Ok now all thiswork is done, what would happen if say Polaris sends out a completely new ecm and stuff to all the old sleds that got engine updates?

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
First off, it Polaris offered another map I would not get it. I'm happy with what I have. If you had no choice and got another updated map, you certainly would have to start again (in theory). Nice thing with PCV is its easy to go back to stock ECU map and build again from there. I clearly grabbed on to the SLP map which had been developed by others and the same thing would apply in your scenario. Saying all that I would guess any new map from Polaris will be only slight tweaking from the existing map which is really what I'm doing anyway.
A great option with the PCV would be to buy the autotune option which will build the map for you by installing the A/F sensor and module and allow the box to tune for you.
So far it would appear that all of the factory maps can be fined tuned to be better. In my case tho, the first update Polaris map is pretty darn good, the PCV with the SLP map is really only only giving me a margin of safety and very small gains, if any, beyond that. That is what I expected going in and so far I'm getting what I expected.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Maps a side a little bird spoke of a a new maybe even stile of ecm might be in the pic, don't know anything thou

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Cheers.

GKR...When your synced the TPS to the software and MAP did you have the factory TPS settings checked or is that necessary at all? Ran my PCV last Sunday with SLP's 216A MAP, up to 5000' or so. It stumbled at bit in the mid-range on the trail but ran real nice up the access chute to our riding area...Pulled 8400ish..a bit high..still 10/66 weights. I have Ron's weights back and they are at 67ish now. I think they will work well. I want the RPM's around 8250-8300. Going to have the factory TPS setting checked this week and will try a different MAP...One from DynoTech...Chad Okesons version where the mid-range has slightly less fuel added...see if that eliminates the mid-range stumble. Just need to fine tune this thing and it will all be good!!!!

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Gerrman,
I did not verify my TPS setting as my sled was running great from day one. Still a good idea to do it but not necessary. When I hooked up to do my PCV sync I could see my output at idle was .930V which is right on spec so it helped confirm it was on but a true baseline verification on the TPS itself is the best way to be sure. The default setting in the PCV software was set at .910V so this is where the PCV sync pays off, it matches the PCV setting to your actual setting, ie. the PCV value gets moved up to the correct .930V at idle and then it also sets a max voltage at WOT (this way the PCV will be matched exactly to your throttle positions all the way from idle to WOT). It will make more sense when you do the sync and its super easy, particularily if you use a 12V battery and power up the ECU on the sled. That way you can do the sync without the sled running and the WOT test is easy. PM me if your stuck on the sync at all, I can walk you thru it.
As for the maps, I found the same thing, a little burble in the mid range with the SLP map which is what I indicated in my earlier post. There was a fair amount of fuel added in that range and I will back it down ever so slightly. In fact I have been running with my ethanol wires unplugged all along so I'll start by plugging them in first, that will give me 5% leaner across the board and then go from there. I'm curious about the DynoTech map you refer to as all the ones I've seen are WAY richer than SLP's and I don't believe they will work as well as SLP's. I also have heard they are brutal on fuel consumption which makes sense as they are so rich.
I'll PM you my e-mail address and you can send me the new map you refer to, I'd like to have a look at it.
Cheers,

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
PMed ya. The DynoTech MAP is a bit leaner in the mid range than the SLP. I think this should take care of the mid range gurgle. Jim at Dyno said to look at his two MAPs and SLP's and see which on was leaner in the middle and try that one with my machine. Reason for that was because I was not experiencing any bogs, gurgles and he felt that my engine would not need as much fuel as one that was having issues.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Looking forward to seeing that map, sounds exactly where I want to end up.
Have one more ride planned for Apr.24th weekend so should be able to provide another update after that.

S

sonday_2

Feb 2, 2008
Kotlik
I know theres alot of maps out there, who has a good map with the early fall flash that works good. I'm using the one what jim preload into, I think it might be a little rich but the plugs look better than b4. have not wot yet.. Would like to try different maps for 0-2000' ft and temp like 0-20f for now. anyone

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
I loaded the latest DynoTech map yesterday and put 17 miles of backcountry riding on it. Wow. What an improvement from the first two maps that I have tried on my PCV.

The idle & WOT were both off so I reset them with the PCV.

The sled pulls 8250-8300 rpm in the deep snow & no stumble at all.

It was like running a full SLP pipe & clutch kit. It was really that much of an improvement.

Thank you Jim at Dynotech for helping out.

akrevrider

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
akrevrider,
Whats the name of the file on the map you used and which OEM map do you have in your ECU? Just got the new one from Gerrman (Chad Okesons version ) and it looks good to me. WAY leaner in the mid than the original two DynoTech maps and slightly leaner in the mid than the SLP map. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for as I found the SLP map is still richer in the mid than I want. One thing to note is that this latest map (Chad Okesons version ) was developed with the Jan 14th OEM map which I don't have, I have the original update OEM map. Still looks like what I want tho. Can anyone qualify the true difference between the original update map vs. the Jan 14th map?

S

sonday_2

Feb 2, 2008
Kotlik
I loaded the latest DynoTech map yesterday and put 17 miles of backcountry riding on it. Wow. What an improvement from the first two maps that I have tried on my PCV.

The idle & WOT were both off so I reset them with the PCV.

The sled pulls 8250-8300 rpm in the deep snow & no stumble at all.

It was like running a full SLP pipe & clutch kit. It was really that much of an improvement.

Thank you Jim at Dynotech for helping out.

akrevrider

Yah, which mapping ya have? I signed up for dyno tech but never gotten my user and password.. Jim was suppose to get back but never, probably busy

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
sonday_2,
Are you running stock pipe or SLP? The SLP map is pretty good, I would try it if you have their pipe. They have a recommendation for actuating the accel pump function for low elevation riding which looks like your situation.
The Dyno Tech maps I had were all extremely rich in the mid as you will read in my posts on this thread. This newest DT map we are talking about looks like the best yet but may be too lean at your low elevations or at least you should consider that. I have not had enough test time to really qualify all this stuff as hard facts but I am happy to share my thoughts and opinions as I go through this learning curve. The more I work with the PCV and the different maps the more clarity I am getting. Pretty darn cool tuning tool if you ask me.

Premium Features