• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stretching a 155 to a 174

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
With the rear cooler being a 5" shorter than a 163, would a 174 have trouble cooling? I think once your in the pow it would be fine. Will also be running a MTNTK turbo.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
More HP + more load (from longer track) = more cooling demand

All depends on... if you want rock steady reliability and protection for your engine and not have to ride it "carefully".

If you do... IMO... Add a tunnel cooler at the rear. Much of the cooling happens at the rear of the tunnel.

I've seen some do the 155" to 174" conversions... the best ones are done with some good margin for reliability.

IMO... Extend it with a Vanamburg extension... Ice Age Rails... and cooler.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
http://www.boost-it.ca/whats-new/2015/02/pro-rmk-engine-cooler/

Found this from boost it. Would this be enough and then leave the rear cooler?

8ItN_kzUvAdNcd2Mfpkx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I've seen a similar looking heat exchanger from BD... theirs was dedicated to their Water/Air intercooler loop with separate pump... I'm wondering how much snow makes it way into that cooler on marginal days... or worse yet, on the trail getting to the mountain.

Their will be some "radiator" effect to it but it would still be dependent on sufficient snow or snow mist to do its job.

Neil builds nice stuff... So we'll wait to hear from those that have this in their sleds this winter...

Since the AXYS also has the bulkhead floor in it... would be a potential for that platform as well.

Boondocker Pics (2) below.
attachment.php

attachment.php

712-3%20Water%20to%20Air%20533x400.JPG 712-2%20Water%20to%20Air%20533x400.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
What I'd like to see, as a product, ...and easy to install.

A cooler that fits between the stock coolers... full length of the tunnel... with hose connections that come up between the stock cooler inputs...pull the outlet hose of the stock cooler, put a U-hose to the new cooler between them... and put the stock hose on the outlet of the new cooler...

Install would be easy.
Pull the airbox assy and fuel tank.
Hole saw for two holes between the cooler connections (from template by the mfg)
Slide the new cooler into place and drill/rivet into place from above.
Attach hoses... fill/bleed with coolant.
Run cooler.

Able to use on the PRO-Ride OR... AXYS-MTN platforms.
This would nearly double the cooling capacity of the sled and make use of all of the benefits of the snow/mist generated by the track, front-to-back.

Similar to this... but full length
attachment.php

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Skidoo runs their cooler down just the middle, and used ones are dirt cheap. I wonder if it would fit in between the stock coolers.

Not saying you could not make them work, but the skidoo coolers are above the tunnel (aren't they?). So the mounting flanges are on the wrong corner. You may be able to mount them upside down underneath, but then the cooling fins are useless, but they likely would up the total volume enough to be a moot point.

I would build MH's design from the Crazy Mountain extrusion, if there was enough of a demand I likely could be persuaded to weld some up. I need to order some of Mark's cooler extrusion for my current builds anyway.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
BILTIT

Thanks for that lead.... Looks like a nice cooler.

You would not easily be able to run a full front to back 174" cooler on a 155 or 163 because of the factory cross tube... at least not without some good head-scratching and modifcations of the stock tube that crosses over between stock cooler in the back of a stock sled... so you would be limited to just slightly less length than a 155" stock cooler... which is right at around 65.75"... still a huge addition to the stocker.

Photo of CR's extrusion from BILTIT's link.
ucoolerextrusion2.jpg

I
Nov 26, 2007
I just ordered from CR, easy to order from the website, shipping cost was reasonable and it was shipped quickly, although that doesn't mean it will get here quickly. With the exchange rate right now CR is the best buy I've seen.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I just ordered from CR, easy to order from the website, shipping cost was reasonable and it was shipped quickly, although that doesn't mean it will get here quickly. With the exchange rate right now CR is the best buy I've seen.

When yours shows up, I'd be interested in the weight / dimensional / alloy differences between the CR extrusion and the crazy mountain extrusion. Visually the CR extrusion has more external fins. The CM extrusion is 6061-T6 so it can be used as a stressed structural member where as the stock coolers are likely 5052 and do not aide in strengthening the assembly. IMO

I
Nov 26, 2007
When yours shows up, I'd be interested in the weight / dimensional / alloy differences between the CR extrusion and the crazy mountain extrusion. Visually the CR extrusion has more external fins. The CM extrusion is 6061-T6 so it can be used as a stressed structural member where as the stock coolers are likely 5052 and do not aide in strengthening the assembly. IMO

I can do that. I think I can find a small piece of cmx to compare to.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Cmx cooler on top, CR on bottom. The CR extrusion has more fins internally and externally, and the mounting tabs are 1/8" wider on each side.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Cmx cooler on top, CR on bottom. The CR extrusion has more fins internally and externally, and the mounting tabs are 1/8" wider on each side.

Any chance you threw the CR extrusion on a scale and got the weight?

If there is not a big weight difference my guess is the CR extrusion will pull more heat out of the coolant due to greater contact area between both the coolant and the snow / air inside the tunnel. All the while holding less water which ultimately equals less weight.

I'll be giving Chad a call soon. Thanks!

Premium Features