• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chipped compressor wheel

mn2mtns

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo, MN
I was doing a turbo flip on my personal D700 turbo and accidentally took a very small chip off the inside tip of the compressor wheel on one fin. My personal thought is to just forget about it and run it but I am looking for other opinions from someone who has maybe seen or done this in the past. I did it to myself so I now have to live with the outcome.

W
Jan 14, 2009
Anything missing on the wheels will throw it out of balance and eventually the center section bearings will get destroyed. How soon is hard to say. Keep an eye on the up/down play or if it contacts the housing.

mn2mtns

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo, MN
I gently ground off the opposite fin identically to match the one that got chipped in the hopes that the balance would be retained. I will keep an eye on it and run it. Thanks for the reply. After talking to a friend in the turbo sled industry, he told me not to get too worked up about it. He said there are a lot of them running around with chip off vanes from sucking ice chunks through them and they run a long time.

F
Mar 6, 2008
ND
These are easily fixed for about $75 bucks. Turbo shops can weld and reprofile the compressor or turbine wheel. A couple places to talk to if you wanna fix would be Turbo Supply or Turbo Perfomance. Turn around isnt bad. They may have a good wheel from a parts turbo even. Hope this helps for anyone in this scenario.:D

1badcowboy

Oct 26, 2008
Elko NV
i would try to go that rout my brother had one fixed on diesel truck and 16,000 miles later its still like new

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I chipped one of mine a while ago and did the same thing you did with matching it up to the opposite side. I am not worried about it, turbos on sled are not going to see high mileage (200,000 lol). Not only that because it is on a two stroke the compressor wheel will never see the high RPM it was designed for.

To properly replace or repair the compressor wheel it will require rebalancing the whole assembly after it is replaced. You will be ok just leaving it.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have seen several turbo street bikes with chiped wheels. I have had had from a used turbo I bought. They never had any problems and it did not seem to make a noticable effect in performance. You can definalty tell if their was a difference drag raceing in your mph. You can't tell a difference like that on a snowmobile with the track really never hooking up and varying snow conditions, etc..
If you are not runing a filter I would highly recomend atleast putting a screen over the inlet of the turbo to keep anything big out that could damage the turbo.

Premium Features