• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EBC and or Control Box Problems......

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
I have a 2009 Assault with a bd pg turbo w/mini intercooler. I can not get the sled to quit going into det on the big end. I have 2010 update w the 2009 programing. Im running straight 110 race fuel, have a turbo dome head from fastrax. I'm only running 7-8 pounds of boost so the ebc reads. My starting numbers are alot higher then what bd says to start with. But it doesn't mater if i lean it out or rich it up it still pops and bangs when it spools up. The ebc reads weird things and the control box either goes blank and still back lit or has nnnnnnnn with a lines under the n's. Talk to bd and they said they never heard of it and it must be a bad ground... I have checked and tested every ground four times. I've been fighting this now for 3 weeks with no luck. Any advice would be great. Also this is doing it w the ebc set at 0. If i change alt+0=0 to 5 or anything it flat doesn't run...

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
EBC or BD Box Questions

Did this just start to happen or did you just install the EBC or the Turbo kit? Did you set up or program the EBC correctly? You may want to recheck all of the electrical connectors and make sure none of the pins are bent or missing in the male side of the connectors. There are several posts the the iq4m that there have been some ground issues and rubbed thru wires that you could also check as well. Did you buy the bd turbo kit from bd direct or another dealer? Call who ever you purchased the kit from for more info. Good luck.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
What are your EGT or A/F readings? A pop or bang is a lean condition.

The early 2010 reflash has a very sensitive DET sensor trip, rolling back to the 2009 program works much better

Is the ground for the BD box attached above the ECU where the other ground is attached?

From what I understand from boondocker the EBC needs to be tuned at low altitude (1000 feet) then tuned again at high alti (8000 feet) and its supposed to figure out its parameteres between those 2 altitudes.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
When I first put mine together it wouldn't run on top, the line from the ebc to the airbox had a small piece of plastic stuck in it so no air could pass thru. I'd check the pins in the connectors and make sure you use some dio-electric grease on the connections.

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
I bought it from bd direct. I the egt's are around 1200-1250. All hect breaks lose around 7 plus pounds of boost. All my grounds are good and the box gound is on top of the ecu ground. It looks like the ecb reads 12-13 for just a milla second but im not sure. This problem has been on going since install.. My numbers are 48-58-72. If it is over boosting it could be over powering the waste gate spring which is a 7-8 pound spring i was told from bd. And for talking to them direct it has been a problem because they are 100% sure there is nothing wrong with there product. If im doing something wrong or there is someting i need to be doing i would love to know because i have had several people that installed and run turbos look at it and they think it's in the control box. The thing i did see is that the max boost for the control box is always 2.5 pounds of boost. The ebc cal is right as far as the pt cal and the alt reads very close to the elavation it is.. The +hp and the alt cmp are all at 0. I don't know... Any help would be great i just want to ride the dam thing...

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
You just solved your own problem. The boondocker box isnt getting the information on how much boost the engine is seeing. Did you hook up the 2nd vac line going from the EBC to the top of the intercooler? Your boost pressure sensor is now inside that EBC box.

If its all hooked up correctly check that the line isnt kinked or plugged. The smallest amount of debris inside that line will mess up everything.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
my problem was worse it would run good for 50 yds then bang and lose power . I called and called and finally found out the hose to the ebc that was ment for alt was in the boost hole from BD , not a rip on them as they were working with a turbo dunce and we finally did get it, also I had a bad connection in the plug and play box ,that's just my luck thou, it is scary now

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
Ok did some checking and this is what i found. When my sled is at idle i blow into the B line on the ebc and it reads 2.8-3.0 pounds of boost. I reset max psi on control box and watched the boost on the control box its reading in the -2.5 to 0.5. Messed with the pt cal again and can not get it to zero out on the control box. the boost on the control box jumps around in the neg numbers so fast you cant read it. and my max boost was 0.5 pounds when i was blowing into the ebc it was reading 3 pounds. Wtf am i doing wrong here?

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
Question for the bd turbo guys? If i blow in the pressure transducer charge tube hose shouldn't that read on the control box? When i do there is no change on the control box. But i can blow in the ebc line and get a reading on the ebc and change the numbers on the control box alittle. I think i have a bad transducer. Or doesn't it pick up boost that way? On the control box...

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
Is the top line on the control box LCD still showing weird characters? This is very uncommon, but I've seen it happen once before, so far only on boxes with backlit LCDs. The control box still works ok, but you have to cycle power for it to display correctly. It's usually due to a bad connection inside, or maybe electrical noise (always use resistor spark plugs), make sure none of the wires touch or go near the spark plugs.

You can only blow about 2-2.5psi on the boost line, which you should be able to see on the control box Stats screen. Sounds like the EBC is not communicating with the control box correctly so be sure to check the connections from the Ctrl box harness to the EBC. To verify, it might help to do a Capture on the Ctrl box. In the Stats screen you can press the left arrow button to do a Capture (when you release the button, it will freeze the current stats, and "Run" will change to "Cap", press right arrow to go back to "Run"). Or you can plug the button into the control box harness, go to N2O and set Btn to Cap, then press the button when you're under boost or blowing on the line to see if the box is seeing the correct boost.

Also, Boondocker is having an update on all EBCs (see update form on their website) with slightly better programming and to make them more moisture resistant.

Last edited:

Ask Yourself

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2008
It's not just the top line it's the whole screen does that. And twice before each line had all ??????????????? marks. I did move and retie all of my wires away from anything eletrical on the sled.

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
I'm curious if you have the green or blue-ish colored backlight (newest boxes have blue backlights). Sounds like there's a bad connection to the LCD inside the box assuming you don't have any bad connections in your harness or weird electrical noise (are you running headlights? that should also help). If this keeps happening, you should probably get it replaced.

Premium Features