• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
The brand haters and others predicted a mass failure and recall of the 850 engine. THAT DIDN’T HAPPEN!

Timber..... You're picture of mass failure and Polaris's might be a little different.

I have heard from some pretty good sources that the failure rate was well north of 20%.... Pushing 30%.....

Do you realize that means every cent of profit was eaten in the 2019 model year snowmobiles in warranty claims and production motor changes.

And other divisions of Polaris has to bail out the sled department.,. And the stock holders also take a hit.

Assumed warranty is most often predicted to be in the 2% area

Did you ever consider that if it wasn't for the Snowest forum Polaris might have waited much longer to buy a case of Loctite to save the day on the PTO bearing.

You would have seen a full 100% failure ( before 4 years ended ) if it weren't for the Loctite fix.

We are building long Rods and most of the motors we see are full of Loctite.

Trying to Protect Polaris doesn't do anyone any favors.

As a matter of fact..... It's a little stupid.

Fighting with other fellow sledders protecting Polaris is really kind a dumb.

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Poll

And this poll is retarded.....

If you voted early in the season...... ( NO ) ..... You can only vote once ( meaning you can't change it ) unless you message a moderator and ask to switch it.

Most people would not go through the effect.

If this poll was started this late this fall 2019 ( when forum activity is high ) about the 2019 model year failures you would most likely see a completely different poll.

Just a hunch.

Dan

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada

If you voted early in the season...... ( NO ) ..... You can only vote once ( meaning you can't change it ) unless you message a moderator and ask to switch it.

If this poll was started this late this fall ( when forum activity is high ) about the 2019 model year failures you would most likely see a completely different poll.

Just a hunch.

Dan

Thats why I didnt vote NO at the beginning of the year cause I would have had to change it.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
There are several ways I can see the poll being inaccurate. First, obviously, is that people who don't have 850s could be voting. Being able to see who's voting would be nice. Second, what's an appropriate "no" vote? It's kind of meaningless if you just got the sled or only put on a couple hundred miles. Conversely, some might hold off for that reason, but forget to come back. Finally, along those lines, many who've had a failure make a b-line for such polls, while many who don't just ignore the whole thing. I'd lean more towards the percentage being exaggerated here, but that's a complete guess – all we can say for sure is it's an internet poll!

Ultimately, I'd suggest most 850 buyers knew they were taking a risk, most came through the season without a major failure, and it seems like Polaris mostly did ok taking care of those who did. They could have done better, and the changes for 2020 are a de facto admission of that, but how many 2nd-year motors see no significant changes? I said at the outset that I wouldn't have bought a '19 850 if I could. I wouldn't change my mind based on what I've seen, but it seems there are more happy owners than not, and I would buy a '20 if I could. Polaris doesn't remotely walk on water, to my mind, but they're still capable of making a good product. To those who want to duke it out, please continue – it's too slow here this time of year!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Maybe this will make it more entertaining . . .?

beating-a-dead-horse-meme-23-jokes.jpg

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
There are several ways I can see the poll being inaccurate. First, obviously, is that people who don't have 850s could be voting. Being able to see who's voting would be nice. Second, what's an appropriate "no" vote? It's kind of meaningless if you just got the sled or only put on a couple hundred miles. Conversely, some might hold off for that reason, but forget to come back. Finally, along those lines, many who've had a failure make a b-line for such polls, while many who don't just ignore the whole thing. I'd lean more towards the percentage being exaggerated here, but that's a complete guess – all we can say for sure is it's an internet poll!

Ultimately, I'd suggest most 850 buyers knew they were taking a risk, most came through the season without a major failure, and it seems like Polaris mostly did ok taking care of those who did. They could have done better, and the changes for 2020 are a de facto admission of that, but how many 2nd-year motors see no significant changes? I said at the outset that I wouldn't have bought a '19 850 if I could. I wouldn't change my mind based on what I've seen, but it seems there are more happy owners than not, and I would buy a '20 if I could. Polaris doesn't remotely walk on water, to my mind, but they're still capable of making a good product. To those who want to duke it out, please continue – it's too slow here this time of year!

So after reading your post and Indy Dan's, I believe a new poll is in order. "Would you have still bought a Patriot 850 if you knew what the failure rate was going to be by Spring 2019?" I would answer "Yes" as mine has been good.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
So after reading your post and Indy Dan's, I believe a new poll is in order. "Would you have still bought a Patriot 850 if you knew what the failure rate was going to be by Spring 2019?" I would answer "Yes" as mine has been good.

The question is where will everyone be at the end of the 2020 season, when all the changes for 2020 will be wrung out by many riders. That's when the best"poll" results will be in.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I voted no, but my last ride I'm crank seal was leaking. Turns out that the check valve was plugged, and pressurized the engine and started to push the crank seal out. Engine looked brand new, pistons were very black/rich looking. A $5 part almost took out a $6000-8000 engine.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I voted no, but my last ride I'm crank seal was leaking. Turns out that the check valve was plugged, and pressurized the engine and started to push the crank seal out. Engine looked brand new, pistons were very black/rich looking. A $5 part almost took out a $6000-8000 engine.

I have heard about the bearing/seal walking out but I did not connect it with an over pressurization. Thank you for giving me piece of mind that mine will be okay as it would have failed by now if it was going to happen. I guess the locking ring that Indy Dan suggested and the 2020 engines got may not be necessary?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The bearing was still in place, mine has only 550 miles. the only other 850 that it happened to was my ridding buddie and his happened around 750 miles, his center oil line came off, and would not stay on, he rode 200 miles with it off and it never blew up. He did get a new bottom end and cases for his sled., and the extra year warranty with $725.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
There is no way it's 20%-30% failure rate I have two 850's and ride with 3 others all have been good. The two dealers I do business with haven't had one fail yet.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
^^Small dealer by me sold 3, 1 went down, that's 33.33% for that dealer^^

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
There is no way it's 20%-30% failure rate I have two 850's and ride with 3 others all have been good. The two dealers I do business with haven't had one fail yet.

This poll is currently at 17% but most guys who had no problem don't know this poll exists. When your motor goes down and you don't know why you go looking and this is what you find.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

If this poll was started this late this fall 2019 ( when forum activity is high ) about the 2019 model year failures you would most likely see a completely different poll.

Just a hunch.

Dan

This one meant to give some folks an idea at one snap shot in time. The numbers now would be way different. Please feel free to post up a new one.

N
Aug 26, 2018
Called Polaris today to ask about any news or options they have come up with since last winter when they recommended I reflash my ecu. ( that reflash didnt fix my low end bog ) the customer rep today reccomended that I try to reflash my ecu again with the same reflash we tried last winter. ( the same reflash that didnt fix anything and in fact the bog became worse as time went on ) I told her it doesnt sound like they have a fix for my sled yet. I now have 2 case #s. One from last February and now a customer service case # I was given today. Anyone here have any reccomendations on what I should try next, as I am left here wondering if Polaris cares at all that I have this issue? Its very discouraging, I have ridden Polaris snowmobiles since I was too young to drive them myself. Logging 1000s of miles riding 2 up with my dad as a kid and then moving to my own sled around age 12. I have only ever ridden Polaris. Dozens of Polaris snowmobiles have come through my family for the last 35 years. I understand this is a first year engine and I accepted the risk, being a die hard Polaris guy and with a 4 year warranty I felt I was covered. Especially owning so many Polaris sleds in the past and never running into any issues.

All that said I wont spend another full season riding a $14k sled that bogs and practically sends me over the bars everytime out, especially if I feel like the company isnt putting forth any effort to ensure that I know what is going on and that they are trying to figure out whats going on with my sled. Life can be short and the snowmobile season shorter. I never thought Id say this but I will switch from Polaris if something doesnt happen before the snow falls :confused: I understand things happen and the snowmobile world is far from perfect. Just show the effort in trying to remedy my sled and that you care.

N
Aug 26, 2018
nyrmk - What does the dealership say where you got the sled?

My dealership is who contacted me last February/March about the reflash for the ECU. I brought it to them and they did the work. The reflash didnt fix anything in my case. The dealership then contacted Polaris telling them about the lack of positive results and we were told they will continue to look into it. My dealer is in contact with me and keeping me informed with whatever info he gets from them ( which is no info since last march )We still have time to get this resolved before the season begins. I guess Im just dissapointed to be sitting here in the dark so far this off season without any updates. Even a simple " we are still working on figuring out whats going on with your sled "

To be told yesterday to reflash my already reflashed ecu with the same reflash that didnt work was kind of bothersome. To then follow up with if that doesnt work let us know and we will continue to look into it? Again this could all be remedied quickly and well before the season begins. Im just wondering who has advice on what try next with them. They dont appear to be too proactive on the situation and I feel I will likely have to pester them to continue to work on the issue.

Premium Features