• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gold ring on clutch?

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
I bought a new clutch for my M800. It did not come with that Gold Ring on the back side like the old clutch has. My question was do i need to put on gold ring on my new clutch or would it be fine without? If i do need it anyone know the torque specs? Thanks

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Definitely use the ring....you may need a propane torch to heat up the existing bolts to get the old one off..

You may also want to get the clutch balanced after you install it with green locktite

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I ran my m7 for years without the gold ring and had no negative affects. When I replaced the clutch on my '14 I did swap it over though. I honestly don't think it'll hurt anything either way.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It add a flywheel effect to the crankshaft/clutch assembly. You do not have to run it. If you want to have your sled rev more freely you can leave it off, but you will sacrifice some torque that will be generated by the extra weight. New clutches do not come with the ring, so we usually transfer the ring from the old clutch. We have new rings on hand if you need.

Premium Features