• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked rear tunnel

phatboy07

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
So. I posted a day ago about finding my handlebar post bulkhead cracked and will hopefully be fixing that soon. Now Today I was going over the rest of the sled and found a crack in the rear tunnel. The crack is on both sides of the tunnel at the same spots. Here is a picture attached (Ya I know "how did I miss that lol"). Anyways What are some options for me? Buy new CAT rear tunnel section? Aftermarket? Or burn it? cuz fracnkly Im getting kinda fed up. My clutch blew end of last season (primary) and I JUST caught the DD bearing at the beggining of last season (looks spotless this season with the 5203 upgrade). I don't ride the mountians...I dont take huge jumps...srry just venting I guess. Oh ya..this is on a 2010 crossfire with a Cat Tow bar/tunnel rack and a 2010 seat if the pic looks weird.

Cracked skid.jpg

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
awww you can throw a little reinforcing on it...as well investigate the bdx rear bumper kit as they upgraded with some tough gussets... or van amburg stuff

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I'm curious if you pull heavy loads with your hitch setup?

I need to beef up my 2009 M8 so I can pull a tobabggan on occasion.

Good luck, I would think with some re-inforcement you'd be on your way.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Does the cooler run up in the corners of the tunnel like the old King cats? If it does, Don't ride it until you do something with it. I had a crack in my KK tunnel, much like that, and it ended up cracking the cooler.

Lost all antifreeze, and tool the whole engine out, crank on up.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I don't see the reinforcing for the rear of the tunnel section for the towbar.
I have a Cat towbar on my M7 for pulling a snowcoach and it has a reinforcing bracket down each side, whole buncha rivets.
I've put that hitch through some pretty hard pulls, 150# snowcoach + kids, uphill, deep powder and the hitch and tunnel have held up well.
Here's a pic of the hitch and reinf. If you can get this type for the newer tunnel it should hold up better.
The bracket holds the front part of the tunnel to the rear section.

Those other brackests up under the footwells I fabbed to keep teh running boards from bending. They run up inside the side of the tunnel and that turned down lip adds more strngth on the outside edge. After bending/breaking 2 sets runners, these have kept them from bending for 3 yrs now.

DSC01463.jpg DSC01464.jpg

Last edited:

phatboy07

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
So this pic doesnt actually do the amount of damage any justice. I had that sent to me while I was at work. The crack is actually more like a tare. It will need to be replaced. The cat tow bumper I have is similiar to the pictures shown of the other members (thank you by the way) but it just mounts to the top. I have pulled sleds form being stuck and from breakdown a few times as well as pulled up on it from being stuck or moving the sled around in my yard. I am a big guy at 250 and have once had the sled go *** over teakettle. Oh well I will just replace it. Not much I can do haha. whatever. BRAAAAP...

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If you're not towing a trailer with it, I would just leave the hitch off if you think that's why the tunnel cracked.
The hitch I posted, if you need one, will not move around or break or mess up the tunnel from anythingyou described. I beat on that hitch pretty good and everything's straight.
FWIW, that "cheesy plastic" bumper on the older M's will tow out sleds all day long. If the aluminum bumper on the newer ones won't do that, maybe grab one of the plastic taillight/bumpers. It will work for you.

When you replace the tunnel section look at using solid buck head aluminum rivets (aircraft rivets). If you have an aircompressor, get a cheap airchisel and the setting tool. They are great for all structural sled repairs.

L
Mar 30, 2011
Phatboy, I cracked my tunnel in the exact same spot(only on one side though) from a crash.

I replaced it using the oem tunnel section from cat. It wasn't very expensive and was relativlely easy to do

Buy a box of good stainless rivets to match your new tail piece and your good to go.

if you have any questions on the procedure shoot me a pm and i can talk you through it

dan

Premium Features