• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 MTN Cat vs. 2018 MTN Cat

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
For those that have ridden both are these sleds fairly similar or completely different? I can pick up a 17 MTN Cat with very low miles for 3 to 4 K less than an 18 (3Ksnopro or 4K Mtn Cat). This would be a backup sled and a sled for my brother to ride (trying to get him back in the sport). We get out west 3-4 times a year. Seems like a no-brainer to find a nice 17?
Lets hear it!

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I agree with you ! That's why I asked this question a couple months back.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436562

I still find myself looking at the 2017 Mountain Cat 153" that are still out there for roughly $11,000 new where the 2018 Mountain Cats are nearly $15,000. I love the Suzuki 800 engine too and this would be the best sled Cat made for the mountains with the Suzuki engine. I think someday that may make these sleds semi collectible.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i ride them back to back quite often. id say the 18 is about 2 grand better. i would not pay more than 2500 more for the 18 if they were both on the showroom floor. its a little bit of low end and much much better side panels that you are paying for. the 17s are great sleds still imo.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Out with the old in with the new

For those that have ridden both are these sleds fairly similar or completely different? I can pick up a 17 MTN Cat with very low miles for 3 to 4 K less than an 18 (3Ksnopro or 4K Mtn Cat). This would be a backup sled and a sled for my brother to ride (trying to get him back in the sport). We get out west 3-4 times a year. Seems like a no-brainer to find a nice 17?
Lets here it!

You say a backup sled for your bro to ride. Better get the 17 otherwise he be kickin your bottom!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I keep reading how strong the 2018's are once the break in period is completed. I demoed a 2018 and it didn't impress me much but, I'm sure it was still in the break in period.

So, for those of you that have experience with both, are the 2018's really that much stronger than a well set up 2012-2017 with the Suzuki motor?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I keep reading how strong the 2018's are once the break in period is completed. I demoed a 2018 and it didn't impress me much but, I'm sure it was still in the break in period.

So, for those of you that have experience with both, are the 2018's really that much stronger than a well set up 2012-2017 with the Suzuki motor?

Most riders comment that the C-Tech 800 has more low & mid than the Suzuki 800 HO. The '18s also benefit from improved clutching with lower RPM engagement. I have to wonder, as the ol' Zuke was not EPA compliment, that AC did indeed have better mapping, as in the Hill Climb Reflash. Riders claim that the reflash added significantly to the low/mid on the Suzuki 800 HO, But of course AC couldn't map the production sleds with that mapping. Is the C-Tech mapped better, while remaining EPA compliment??? And with better clutching!!! Long live the Suzuki 800 HO.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
Old sled a 14 snopro, 5000+ mi, very reliable. Spent a bunch of time on 17 MC too
New sled 18 snopro, barely broken in, 120mi.

I'd take the new motor over old one every day. New clutch is sweet too.
But there is no way id be riding it if it were a spare and it would be a waste to have it. I wouldn't get a MC tho, that's just me. I like the simple and reliable float 3s just fine. Might put the evol chamber up front at some point.

My 2c

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
18 Mountain Cat has the following updates:
Ctec motor
LED headlight
narrower plastics
QS3/L shocks
better clutching

IMO @ WOT both motors have the same power, The clutching is smooth, but I also think its kinda bland and could use a little aftermarket support. The LED does look awesome, and works great at night, but if your going to do a headlight delete, who cares. The QS3/L shocks seem to perform well but I've found clicker position 1 to be way to soft so there basically going to be permanently stuck in position 2. I do really like the plastics, seem to make the machine "flow" much better. I jumped on my buddies 16 the other day and there is defiantly a big difference

End of last season I was looking for a deal on a 17 Mountain Cat, do dealers seemed to want to pay ball so I snowchecked the 18. Overall I love the sled, but in a position like your in, the 17 might suit you better.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
With my short time on the 2018 CTECH 800 during the engine break in period, I would have to agree with Ultrasks700 when he says:

"The clutching is smooth, but I also think its kinda bland and could use a little aftermarket support".

I thought the engine was very quiet and felt kind of four stroke like with a more linear powerband than I am used to and without the exciting BRAAP I am used to feeling and hearing on other two stroke sled.

However, with a lightweight exhaust canister and the break in period completed, it may become a whole different sled?

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I was also looking at an 18 and went a different route

Throw a speedwerx stage 2 kit, headlight delete kit, lightweigjt brake rotor and tki belt drive for about $3000 on the 17 mtn cat and then compare the 2 sleds.

I lost 32 lbs off my sled, more horsepower and lots of rotating weight. It engages barely above idle so now blowing the snownout and its a completely different sled now and runs much better than an 18 and will spend less money.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
My buddy just did the Skinz Helium kit on a 17 and ill give credit the thing is pretty friggin bad ***. The 17's can defiantly be brought up to 18 standards with a little time and $$$

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014

Yes. I have a 2014 and a 2018. The 2018 is stock, the 2014 has a belt drive and clutching work, no comparison, had a buddy riding the 2014 and he said when I give the 2018 full throttle it is like it has gone to warp. Swapped sleds with a friend who has a 2018 Doo freeride, he said it feels just as strong is his 850.

But the thing I actually like the best, is that you can ride it slow if you need in technical terrain, and you always have the torque right away from low rpms. The 2014 always need a handful of throttle to get moving.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
But the thing I actually like the best, is that you can ride it slow if you need in technical terrain, and you always have the torque right away from low rpms. The 2014 always need a handful of throttle to get moving.

'17MC you can tractor around on also. team clutches, mapping, dropped case, narrow boards...

Premium Features