• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 summit suspension

B
Apr 6, 2010
I have a 96 summit that has 800 miles on the chasis. the rear suspension seems to be worn out - when I push down on the back it only returns back up about half way without "help".

Are these shocks servicable? Is there any cheap fixes for this? I really don't want to put a bunch of money into the sled....

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Hey, how's it going? Sounds like you finally got that thing running.

The skid is fully rebuildable with replacement parts. Springs can be replaced and stock shocks can be replaced (not rebuildable). The rear should return to full up when it is out of the machine, but when it's in the machine it's not uncommon for it to be an inch or two down. My machine gets new shocks at least every two years.

B
Apr 6, 2010
kind of

hey,

I did get it running really good last year for about 80 miles and then I lost a head gasket and scored a piston. I was riding it way too hard for those first 80 miles...this break in I am going to tape some quarters behind the throttle! It is on the bench with new pistons almost ready to go in.

I will probably run it for awhile before I put much more money into it....to make sure it is going to be solid.

I will look into the chassis a little bit though. It only has 800 miles on the thing so i didn' think that the springs/shocks should be bad - they look like new.

I did use regular synthetic grease to lube it up - looks like I should have used a lithium grease for it...but it is in my heated garage so it should bounce back up if everything is good.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
The springs on each side of the skid become worn or lose the spring from being stored with a load on them all the time. Best to lift the track off the ground when storing. With only 800 mile either the speedo was disconnected or this thing sat way too much. Buy new springs and spend 20 min replacing them. Easy job. The rear shock has a slight positive charge but I don't think it would lift the skid without the springs. And the springs are way cheaper

B
Apr 6, 2010
yep

It sat in an enclosed trailer for 10 years....with the track under load.

I did buy new shocks for both this sled and my wife's 500GT (got both 1996 GT500 and Summit670 and enclosed trailer for 2800$ - but the 670 was seized up so I have about another $1K into it).

The rear shock replacement did not help. I have to get a spring compressor for the front (skid) shock before I change that one out. Pretty sure the springs are a bit weak on both sleds from sitting. The shocks do not put out any outward pressure at all. They only dampen (could have saved $300.00 if I'd of known that).....

Premium Features