• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Still confused!!

G
Apr 29, 2010
I posted a couple times earlier on what I thought was a jetting problem with the 04 KK. The sled ruins perfect until after about 3 hours of hard riding it would start idling rough and bog severly from upper mid range to WOT. I pulled the plugs and the mag side plug was wet, the PTO side looked good. At first I thought it was due to an air temp change causing it to run rich - now I think it's something else. I noticed a "clicking" sound that seems to be coming from the stator housing area. I don't know if something in there is working loose after the motor has run a while, or if there is something actually broken. It doesn't sound like a rod bearing or piston slap, it's a different kind of sound. It seems that if something broke the sled would run crappy all the time. After the sled has cooled down over night it runs perfect again the next day (except for the clicking noise). Has anyone ever experienced this, or does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I took it to a Cat mechanic and he can't get it to run bad because he can't ride it for three hours so any help would be much appreciated before I start tearing it down.

T
Mar 5, 2008
un-confused

Had similar problem, finally after testing everything else, tore off flywheel and had all sorts of things inside. Metal, rope, dog spring in two peices. Replaced all parts with my parts sled, problem fixed.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Could be the nut off your recoil is bouncing around in there, damaged the coating on the stator and after enough heat soaks the coils, it drops some output.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
noise

I posted a couple times earlier on what I thought was a jetting problem with the 04 KK. The sled ruins perfect until after about 3 hours of hard riding it would start idling rough and bog severly from upper mid range to WOT. I pulled the plugs and the mag side plug was wet, the PTO side looked good. At first I thought it was due to an air temp change causing it to run rich - now I think it's something else. I noticed a "clicking" sound that seems to be coming from the stator housing area. I don't know if something in there is working loose after the motor has run a while, or if there is something actually broken. It doesn't sound like a rod bearing or piston slap, it's a different kind of sound. It seems that if something broke the sled would run crappy all the time. After the sled has cooled down over night it runs perfect again the next day (except for the clicking noise). Has anyone ever experienced this, or does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I took it to a Cat mechanic and he can't get it to run bad because he can't ride it for three hours so any help would be much appreciated before I start tearing it down.

Pull the recoil cover it very well could be an inner failure and you know what the out come of that will be. If it is bad get hold of Idacatman1 I think that's his call sign, and get one of his M1000 update kits for the pull start. They are better all the way around. Is this sled efi ? With one plug wet and one not, no matter what the fuel delivery type is look at that side,, could be wires if it's efi or maybe a float issue if it's carb. Maybe it is a power valve issue on that side could it be sticking from being gummed up? Hope this helps

G
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for the info everyone. The mechanic said his first thought was a failing stator. I'm going to tear it down when I get it back. The sled is carbed, the exh. valves are clean and the floats are free. Thought coil or wire might be going bad so I switched them - no luck. I'll post when I find out more.

G
Apr 29, 2010
The mechanic checked a little more and seems to think it is a broken piston and the noise is a piece of the piston hitting the crank somewhere on the mag side. I'm going to pull the jug on that side and see what's going on.

G
Apr 29, 2010
No broken piston but it is scored as well as the jug. Also, anyone know how much play is tollerable in the crank bearing (side to side, crank tolerance)?

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
for the time it takes pull your recoil and flywheel and have a look at the stator to make sure nothing is floating in there. side to side is not a problem but you should have no vertical movement...

Premium Features