• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

bd sidekick vs silber

C
Nov 21, 2010
I'm looking for a good low maintenance pump gas maybe a little bit of av gas turbo that is reliable i know turbo and reliable don't fit in the same sentence usually but I'm hearing a lot of good things about these side kicks

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Ran my sidekick on my 16' for two seasons and absolutely loved it. I sold that sled and picked up a 17' holdover and doing the sidekick again! Very pull and go set up!

L. Perry

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2015
Just keep an eye on the turbo threads. Don't see to many people asking what is wrong with their Boondocker turbos.
Sure haven't had any issues with mine.:face-icon-small-hap

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have been around the Boondocker and Silber turbos for a few years- and both are very reliable- and consitant in performance IMHO..You wont go wrong with either-The Axys is a fun factor winner with a turbo.

Silber is the easiest to install- very straight forward.
But again, being a dealer for Silber - I tend to lean to easy install for the first time turbo clients-that want to get their hand dirty.
I do install for those that don't wanna even mess with it.
It's a great do-it yourself project that you will have fun with, a step by step video, and will be able to completely understand the install and the workings, with zero special tools required...

HALF the fun of adding mod's to a sled is being able to do it yourself, work through it, refine it they way YOU WANT IT, and above all, having that feeling of accomplishment!

Good luck on your choice- I have had ZERO concerns on the Silber Turbo's that are running out of my shop, or met and rode with that have them on their Axys.

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have been around the Boondocker and Silber turbos for a few years- and both are very reliable- and consitant in performance IMHO..You wont go wrong with either-The Axys is a fun factor winner with a turbo.

Silber is the easiest to install- very straight forward.
But again, being a dealer for Silber - I tend to lean to easy install for the first time turbo clients-that want to get their hand dirty.
I do install for those that don't wanna even mess with it.
It's a great do-it yourself project that you will have fun with, a step by step video, and will be able to completely understand the install and the workings, with zero special tools required...

HALF the fun of adding mod's to a sled is being able to do it yourself, work through it, refine it they way YOU WANT IT, and above all, having that feeling of accomplishment!

Good luck on your choice- I have had ZERO concerns on the Silber Turbo's that are running out of my shop, or met and rode with that have them on their Axys.

This is a great post

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I wouldn't rule out MTNTK either. Have installed and ridden both silber and mtntk, own mtntk and brother has a silber. These are on pro's but similar enough. They're reliable as long as you do the diligence, fuel for the boost and elevation, basic maintenance, I'd recommend installing yourself so you know how it goes together and where to look if any problems arise. They really aren't that hard to install.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
I had two boondocker inter-cooler kits on pros and installed a silber kit on a new axys in feb. The lag is much more noticeable on the silber and clutching is way to hot. The silber has good power, I picked up different clutching but didn't get to try it. I just ordered a sidekick to install on a customers sled that I ride with, so I will have a good comparison this winter. I ride with several sidekick turbos and they all run good every day. I was tired of the tunnel dump and think silbers kit is more bang for the dollar but really don't like the extra lag.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Interesting cause I don't notice hardly any lag on my silber setup running at 10-12K ft. Maybe it was clutching setup? The 3 boondocker kits I ran on the Cats last year all had a ton of lag. About almost 1000 rpms more lag than my silber axys. But can't really compare lag on the axys motor vs the suzuki.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Silber 5# out of a dig next to my buddy on his clutched Sled that was identical, I'll pull him. Negligible lag if any. I know by design there has to be lag, but you won't feel it if clutched properly IMO. I can't speak about the BD or MTNTK but there are a ton of guys with MTNTK and running TRS Clutching and judging from the videos they've posted they aren't experiencing any lag issues either.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
im sure liking my BD pg side kick setup. Install after work on a friday evening then ride all day saturday. It is a nice smooth, linear power.

had a race gas setup on my 2013 pro that was super fun - but the new PG stuff is so much less of a hassle (getting race gas etc) that i'll live with the few less lbs of boost.

C
Nov 21, 2010
thanks every one, got a 2018 bd sidekick on order supper amped hope its as reliable as iv been hearing. has anyone changed any gearing to get more track speed what gages do i need for temp and fuelling is any of that even a worry or just ride it ?

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
I hope it is just clutching but they have had that kit out long enough I figured it would be closer. I have Indy dans setup on the bench so hopefully that will take care of it. I did have to run a couple gals of av gas to keep of set on longer pulls. I did two kit the same time and they both run the same.

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
I hope it is just clutching but they have had that kit out long enough I figured it would be closer. I have Indy dans setup on the bench so hopefully that will take care of it. I did have to run a couple gals of av gas to keep of set on longer pulls. I did two kit the same time and they both run the same.

I ran 9:1 pump:AV fuel in mine and it ran great. At my elevation straight 91 just wasn't quite enough.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
thanks every one, got a 2018 bd sidekick on order supper amped hope its as reliable as iv been hearing. has anyone changed any gearing to get more track speed what gages do i need for temp and fuelling is any of that even a worry or just ride it ?

A boost gauge is always handy to have - It will assist if your not running correctly and possibly let you know if you have a boost leak.... Don't know if that comes in the BD Kit..

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I ride with guys all over the Western States and I've seen so many awesome running Sidekicks, and older kits in Pro's. Boondocker kits on Pro's and Axys since 2013 have been dialed. You can't go wrong with BD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Elevation and what you want out of a kit should be part of your decision making. Enjoy the boost this season, if you are at lower elevation I am sure we will here back from you.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I ran 9:1 pump:AV fuel in mine and it ran great. At my elevation straight 91 just wasn't quite enough.

this

if i take off from 5k ft and ride the trail until 5500 i can get by on pump. i started putting 1 gallon of av per tank just for safety and it worked great.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just did a silber setup on my personal buggy last night. I swear the turbo kit is simpler to install then a stage 2 setup... it dang near falls into the sled. It takes me longer to do the clutching then install the rest of the kit if that says anything about how easy it is for install.

For the straight 91 crowd, it is very doable but I recommend at least a gallon of Av gas per tank. At an increased cost of maybe $2 per ride its hard to argue against for a little piece of mind considering the variability of remote fuel stops we often use.

Premium Features