• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hauling bikes on sled deck???

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
Well? I like using my deck to haul my sleds. have a small enclosed 2 place trailer but only use it when we have more than 2 sleds going with one truck. Thought I would see how many guys use their decks to haul the bikes? I have not yet transitioned fully from sleds, still have two and not sure my wife will totally commit to a bike. I would like to be able to haul 2 sleds and a bike or 2 bikes and a sled on my truck, does anyone do this? I know it is simple to load the bikes into the back of my truck (another question, ramp of choice?) and then haul the sleds in the trailer but wondering if anyone has the deck thing figured out. Maybe the Tuff lift hydraulic deck or????

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have a flatbed that works well.. the few sled decks I have seen gets very sketchy without a snow bank...can't just fly up like a sled.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have a yeti wheel kit and use my deck mounted winch to pull the bike up. I have a Y harness which clips to the foot pegs. You don't even need to hold the bike just watch it come up. Its a little slow but its solid and totally controllable. Unloading is a breeze, just push it back and use the bike brake as you walk beside it. I made a plywood insert for the wheels to ride on, it just sits on the ramps cross braces, lift it off to load a sled. Buy a good winch don't cheap out like I did. The other thing I am going to do is switch the winch cable for a rope.

M5

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Snowbike and Sled Decks

I purchased a cable operated swivel boom from Northern Tool Company and replaced the hand crank winch with a 12 volt one. I mounted it just left of center of where the nose of my sled would be on the left half of the deck. The boom extends an additional 2 feet. I can pull up to the left side of the pickup and winch the snowbike up and swing it onto the deck. I had to reinforce the deck where I mounted the base of the boom to it, but it seems to work fairly well. Sorry, but I can't find any pictures. If I do I will post them.
I got the idea from a set up that had this same type of swivel boom mounted to the 2" receiver of the pickup. The problem I saw was that if you wanted to use the ramp to load or unload a sled you would have to remove the boom from the receiver.
An electric winch at the front of the deck with a wheel kit might be an idea. I'm just concerned about loosing my footing while walking the snowbike down the ramp when unloading. Could be quite a tumble.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I'm planning on doing superglides up the right side of my sled deck ramp and walking up the center with it running to load it(rekluse will help). I'm sure I'll get tired of walking it and end up riding it like I do with my dirt bike.

E
Dec 19, 2007
With two people you can load on a really steep Sled Deck ramp with the normal ladder cross bars you just have to have one person on the deck with a strap hook to your ski to pull up on the front of the ski so it doesn't catch then you just walk it up slowly with good clutch control

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I'm planning on doing superglides up the right side of my sled deck ramp and walking up the center with it running to load it(rekluse will help). I'm sure I'll get tired of walking it and end up riding it like I do with my dirt bike.

Please take video. :popcorn:

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon

Good luck, I tried that and the ski gets hungup and then it comes to a dead stop...and will not budge. Need a second person minumum to pull on the ski.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Agreed with above.... If you have a Camso Kit you almost need help sliding on a flat surface with that... Timbersled not as bad but not perfect... For sure not riding up with success every time...

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Good luck, I tried that and the ski gets hungup and then it comes to a dead stop...and will not budge. Need a second person minumum to pull on the ski.

I have the triple carbide Scagg on my timber sled ski and it goes right up. I don't use a sled deck, just a ramp up to the back of my pick up so it might not be as steep. Occasionally it will catch on the very bottom of the ramp, but once I get past that it's fine.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I have ridden up it a few times successfully… But have also been unsuccessful?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
decks are stacked

we hauled with snowdecks, then tried the bikes on them.

then we just put together something better for little money, We often put three bikes on, middle one backwards...........work ok with three guys lifting. for two bikes, one man load operation.

we started with the older wooden ramps in 2012 then when we had a good setup, dan folded up sets in aluminum, nice and light .

in my truck I spaced the rails so I could drive my M8 I often use for work right on, picture of sled suspension and extra cross supports.
in wood its a $50 deal, folded in aluminum its $300 or so.

20160217_131620.jpg dan bike ramp 12 5 15.jpg truck ramp closeup.jpg ktm dan truck 12 15.jpg

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm pretty happy with the winch and wheels setup. Loading and unloading is a one person operation with no drama and you can still carry sleds if need be. I have the wheels on for going in and out of the shop anyways so I just leave them on when travelling as well and you are ready for unloading. I use the plywood ramp insert for loading dirt bikes in the summer. I used to pull my deck off for summer but this year I left it on and have carried lots of building materials on it as well as atvs.

M5

Premium Features