• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek Drop in kit RESULTS

J

jwentzer

Mar 16, 2010
Colorado
RKT,

I have a question for you. I'm looking at changing to your pistons as one of my options this summer on my sled. 12 Pro 800, 700 miles, 600 of them with Silber Turbo @ 8 to 10 psi. The question is....should I have the cylinder skirts MPI (mag particle inspected) prior to installing your pistons? Or, are the cracks very visible with the naked eye? If they aren't cracked yet, is there still the possibility of them cracking and letting loose with your pistons installed? Or, is it very unlikely for that to happen since your pistons take the "slap and slop" out of the cylinders vs current oem pistons?

Thanks

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Hundreds of riders have well over 1000 miles at the lower elevations.. Whether or not they frequent SW is unknown..

This kit is rock solid with no issues... As you can read (with all the different threads related to it), there are many happy people running this kit and we are confident this will continue for may seasons to come

It's one thing to say you've sold 200+ kits

But to attest to the 1,000 + miles on each & every one of these sleds you haven't seen is a bit of a stretch

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
RKT,

I have a question for you. I'm looking at changing to your pistons as one of my options this summer on my sled. 12 Pro 800, 700 miles, 600 of them with Silber Turbo @ 8 to 10 psi. The question is....should I have the cylinder skirts MPI (mag particle inspected) prior to installing your pistons? Or, are the cracks very visible with the naked eye? If they aren't cracked yet, is there still the possibility of them cracking and letting loose with your pistons installed? Or, is it very unlikely for that to happen since your pistons take the "slap and slop" out of the cylinders vs current oem pistons?

Thanks

It is never a bad idea to have the cylinders checked for cracking. The cracks are not always apparent to the naked eye and there can also be fatigue that has set in with no signs of cracking.

So, the question is a loaded one for sure.. if the fatigue has set in or cracking is there but not apparent, the failure will , most likely,occur no matter what pistons you are using.

As for the 1000 mile thing... MOST sea level (eastern) riders can and do log 200-300 miles in one day... At that kind of intervals.. getting 1000 miles would only take 3-5 rides... Not really much of a stretch..

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
Are the guys on the over here on the east running your head too? We have low elevation and bad fuel over here... Looking to get my sled to 160+hp any suggested setups?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Are the guys on the over here on the east running your head too? We have low elevation and bad fuel over here... Looking to get my sled to 160+hp any suggested setups?

The head, alone, adds a solid 7-8HP at peak rpm and runs at STOCK compression ratio.. So, there is great power with the head by itself due to its patented design. Again, for sea level stock compression ratio is maintained so the fuel that works with your stock head also works with our billet head.

Once you rise in elevation, we can increase the compression ratio and gain back some power that elevation removes and stil be 100% safe on pump gas..

We have spent countless hours on these kits.. they are designed with reliability as the #1 concern.. The added HP, is a nice bonus, but HP is nothing if it is not reliable and retainable on the long pull..

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
The head, alone, adds a solid 7-8HP at peak rpm and runs at STOCK compression ratio.. So, there is great power with the head by itself due to its patented design. Again, for sea level stock compression ratio is maintained so the fuel that works with your stock head also works with our billet head.

Once you rise in elevation, we can increase the compression ratio and gain back some power that elevation removes and stil be 100% safe on pump gas..

We have spent countless hours on these kits.. they are designed with reliability as the #1 concern.. The added HP, is a nice bonus, but HP is nothing if it is not reliable and retainable on the long pull..

Any advantage to doing this on a sled with only 100 miles or should I wait until my warranty is up? Are you seeing the same issues with 13 sleds?

I was thinking of paring your drop in kit with a dynaport exhaust setup. His setup and your setup do not require fuel, so I should not have to mess with mapping and stuff. seems like a reliable setup and 10-20hp increase in power. Your thoughts?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Any advantage to doing this on a sled with only 100 miles or should I wait until my warranty is up? Are you seeing the same issues with 13 sleds?

I was thinking of paring your drop in kit with a dynaport exhaust setup. His setup and your setup do not require fuel, so I should not have to mess with mapping and stuff. seems like a reliable setup and 10-20hp increase in power. Your thoughts?

A fuel controller is a must have to run the drop in kit on a 13.

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
His web site says:

"
NO FUEL Controller required!!

In fact, we designed this kit to run on the oxygenated fuel (Ethanol) and still use the NON-ETHANOL factory resistor!! So, it extremely safe on bad gas!
"

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
That is for the 11-12's unless something has changed. Kelsey had definitely mentioned needing a controller on the 13's due to leaner stock mapping or something.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
That is for the 11-12's unless something has changed. Kelsey had definitely mentioned needing a controller on the 13's due to leaner stock mapping or something.

Yep^^^ That's what Kelsey told me. His website needs to be updated.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
X2 on you need a controller on the 13, but not the 11/12, different map, particularly at altitude, poo obviously leaned it out on the 13 as you go up. Give RKT a call and they'll fill you in.

H
Feb 8, 2008
Read this!

Hundreds of riders have well over 1000 miles at the lower elevations.. Whether or not they frequent SW is unknown..

The piston does not know what elevation it is running at. It functions exactly the same regardless of elevation.. The head, and the the head only dictates how "safe" this kit is at any elevation..

This kit is rock solid with no issues... As you can read (with all the different threads related to it), there are many happy people running this kit and we are confident this will continue for may seasons to come

Ok we'll I'm not trying to bash at all here like I have in the past, my 12' assault is ready to be refreshed and I was considering your kit because I rode 3 (200-3=197) sleds with your kit and loved them but......... After calling these guys to get a end of year update I was told the same story " it ran good for a couple hundred miles then they locked up???? Why????? This is no lie, every single rkt drop in kit I have known about in the state of alaska has blown up??????? I think this is a legitimate question so I am hoping you have a legitimate answer.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Ok we'll I'm not trying to bash at all here like I have in the past, my 12' assault is ready to be refreshed and I was considering your kit because I rode 3 (200-3=197) sleds with your kit and loved them but......... After calling these guys to get a end of year update I was told the same story " it ran good for a couple hundred miles then they locked up???? Why????? This is no lie, every single rkt drop in kit I have known about in the state of alaska has blown up??????? I think this is a legitimate question so I am hoping you have a legitimate answer.

Legitimate... That is the real question.... right??

I have not heard from these people, that you have the names and numbers of?

I would expect ANYBODY who has had a problem to contact me with it, and this has not happened..

So, with all due respect, ALL I have are emails and phone calls that are very happy.. and have nobody contacting me with any BLOWN UP engines ..

So, I guess, we have different results...

Please feel free to have those people with the blown engines call me.. Again, I have not heard from anybody on this...

Last edited:
R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
I installed the drop-in kit in my SBA 2011 this winter. The sled was at 2500 miles stock engine and running very strong but low compresion on mag side. After the kit installed, the sled begin to bog when hiting the gas WOT. The problem was getting worse as i ride more. I was not able run WOT on long run as the RPM was dropping down slowly and end up with bogging . Finaly the engine seize on both side on the intake side of the piston with 400 miles on the kit. I dont know if the problem was the drop in kit or other problem that happen at the same time

Post #30 in this thread, might be worth getting ahold of him and help diagnose.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
a legitimate answer.

just a thought...in the Yukon there was thirty Chevron stations which later got sold to Shell (there is only 30 thousand people in the Yukon so Shell was the major supplier)

Then Shell sold all thirty stations and bulk plants to an Alaskan outfit with there own refinery supplier and called the new outfit in the Yukon "North of 60 petroleum"

I think at last count there was only three remaining gas stations and still bulk plants for aviation and mining.

But the publics refusal to support and use the retail fuel in vehicle and recreational needs killed a goliath of the industry in our terms...that may be where your answer is...

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Post #30 in this thread, might be worth getting ahold of him and help diagnose.

i read that whole thread months ago,and it is a sure thing that when an engine is running poorly after a engine repair.and then holding it wide open. and as it runs worse and worse. it is a sure thing that it will blow up or seize.my guess would be it was assembled wrong or had another problem.just sayin probably not related to the dropin kit.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2011
I have a 2013 800 with the drop in kit (14:1) compression along with a slp pipe, hps can, power commander with my own map. It runs amazing, huge difference over stock. I'm also running a 3" track I just need to get my clutching figured out now!(any suggestions) I had a Doo before my pro with Kelsey's kit in it an all his stuff flat out works very well!!

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
my question is, after installing the kit i observed the piston is a mill or so below the intake port, meaning there's probably 8* of of crank rotation doin nothing and also makes up for a shorter piston, i dont understand how this translates to better power and piston life, please explain this to me if anybody knows.
ive removed my kit and im goin bb, im not sure of a builder yet.
I had rpm issues all winter with this kit, rs would fall of to 7900 and than slowlly increase a little, i bought the tied as recommended , tried different pol weights and tried sec springs with advise from kelsey, tied and even vhonk and ill i had all winter was grief, i had moments of extra power but not many.
If your lookin for true noticeable power than in moho look at other ideas.
there was a small group of us on here pm ing each other with same results and trying to brain storm how to fix our rpm issues. If your looking to compeate with the cats power, this kit is defently not the kit.

Premium Features