• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Guys 2860 or 2871?

compound 1300

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2010
zortman montana
Turbo

2860 has been pretty popular on most kits for all around performance, my egt's will get pretty hot on long pulls other than that it's an ok turbo. 2871 will have a little less response on bottom but more top end with slightly less egt's. I would do a MTA Billet oil less turbo if $$$ was no problem. 3076 GTX might b an option also could be a bit big. A few post down is my 09 with a KPA 2863.

Last edited:
M

M8 Turbo

Jan 2, 2014
gods counrty
Turbo size

I used a 2860rs on my 2009 m8 built boost out the gate and never got hot on long pulls make sure you use lots of oil as when the secondary injectors kick in there lots of fuel but not much oil.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
I want a little better response than what my 2871 currently yields. I bought a new CHRA with a billet wheel, and I'm going to sort my clutching.
I want snappy response and I'm okay with a little less power.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have a 09 m8 with a 3071 .63 on the exhaust side and a hta billit on the intake side no inner cooler I run a straight 3 degree advance at 9/10 psi its very responsive. I have rode others with smaller turbos and was not very impressed but it could have been there whole setup and not just the turbo.I oil it with the stock pump and fuel is the stock pump as well with the BD fuel card its super simple setup and it works

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
I've read a lot of different opinions. Some say bigger will result in better response and some say smaller will.
I don't really climb huge hills. I mostly like riding tight trees but I love the advantages of a turbo.
I also know clutching has a big part in it as well.

P

Paul Tupper

Mar 19, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC
Well I'm no expert but have had mine for few years now always experimenting. I found between riding other sleds Turbos etc. Clutching was key to response and snow conditions as well. I change my gear ratio in heavier snow usually close to spring riding. I ride mostly trees and technical. Keeping the throttle and turbo spooled and riding the brakes. That's my two cents. And good responsive reeds seemed to help.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I have a 09 m8 with a 3071 .63 on the exhaust side and a hta billit on the intake side no inner cooler I run a straight 3 degree advance at 9/10 psi its very responsive. I have rode others with smaller turbos and was not very impressed but it could have been there whole setup and not just the turbo.I oil it with the stock pump and fuel is the stock pump as well with the BD fuel card its super simple setup and it works
On your 3071 is it a drop in compressor wheel or is it bigger can you give a little more info on it, do you also have the 4" Compressor inlet? I'm currently running 2860 with water/air intercooler with the standard .86 waste gated housing at 10-12psi. I have a 2871 i'm going to try but I have a feeling I'm not going to like the loss of low end. Just curious about maybe trying a 3071 also.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
The tighter 28 series has a tighter exhaust causing back pressure, some call it lag. The leverage on the wheel is increased with bigger wheel. Push turbo was installin hta wheels, forced performance does too. The hta wheel is similar to the gtx wheel garrett sell. The gulp affect from the compressor wheel also creates lag. So if you don't want lag, choose the smaller compressor side, but make it flow with the gtx or hta wheel.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
The 2860 spools faster that the 2871, the 71 is a larger wheel, gulping more air. Now make that 71 a much lighter billet wheel it now weighs the same and still is slower gulping/spooling, but much closer. The billet wheels are 11 to 13 blade wheels, were a cast wheel is a 7-9 blade wheel. Turbos are about air movement, they don't care about cc's. The Polaris 800 motor moves less cfm than the cat 800 so you can get away with a larger that makes less heat. The 2860 makes a lot of heat above 8-10 lbs on a larger motor. The 3071 will make the same power at 5 lbs, much less heat. Volumn of air with out heat is the goal.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Boost-it turbo

What turbo are you running and what do you like/dislike about it?

I had boost-it install thier water to air turbo kit on my 2016 M800 LTD.
They used a 2860 Garret turbo. They suggested changing the standard wheel to the GTX wheel. So we did.
I'm very impressed.

I had a 2009 M800 with a ovs aero charger turbo kit that worked very good.
My 2016 boost-it sled makes more power with less boost and has better throttle response.

Snowedunder

Premium Member
Mar 27, 2008
BC
turbo

Just picked up a new MTA from Boondocker, this will replace my GT 2871. Will be less waight and it will spool quick

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
On your 3071 is it a drop in compressor wheel or is it bigger can you give a little more info on it, do you also have the 4" Compressor inlet? I'm currently running 2860 with water/air intercooler with the standard .86 waste gated housing at 10-12psi. I have a 2871 i'm going to try but I have a feeling I'm not going to like the loss of low end. Just curious about maybe trying a 3071 also.
Thanks

The wheel has a different housing and the intake on the compresser is 2 1/4 inch My low end is still pretty good i use mds weights engagement is around 3800 rpm im using a 36/42 helix i could probably go to a 36 / 44 dont forget your helix can hurt or help your rpm as well as the weights. i have let no less than 50 strangers ride my sled and all have been impressed with it performance.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
Thanks, do most people run the smaller compressor housing? I have the same weights just a straight 36 helix though probably need to get a new one.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Thanks, do most people run the smaller compressor housing? I have the same weights just a straight 36 helix though probably need to get a new one.

you know I have tried multiple Helix's. I have ended up back at the 36* with every weight combo/helix combos I have tried. I'm not a huge hill climber so I want the best backshift I can get.

I have a 2860 garrett w/a Push set up that I customized. I found that with with the extra injector set up non intercooled it heated up something fierce. I re did the intake set up so it only has a cold air intake in the same location as Speedwerx super charger. and did a small intercooler in the same location as a stock 1100.

I do agree that the 2860 creates heat and I will argue with anyone that these smaller turbos need some kind of intercooler not just an extra injector in order for them to perform.

Premium Features