• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

About to start the kick starter kit on my 450 XCF...

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
And I have a few questions...

Instructions say I need special tools (engine blocking screw, marking mandrel for balancer shaft and clutch holder). But are the an absolute must have or can I just improvise (as I usually do)?

I'm guessing the engine blocking screw is just a longer screw to prevent the engine from turning.

Can't imagine I need a clutch holder (certainly didn't on my 300).

No idea what the mandrel is...?

I've built car engines before and always when they say I need a special tool I've always found a way around it but I have no idea when it comes to these bikes.

Thanks, JC

dfd966d6bb7aaedf9bbed2bc9652f5dd.jpg

Last edited:
R
Mar 24, 2009
No advice as I just had mine installed by the dealer, Carl's in Boise, for less than $150.00. For the price it wasn't worth doing it myself. The kit works fine.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Is this available for 2013 450sxf? Part number? Dealer told me its not available but others have said it is? I see spot in case where it should go.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Dangle, You need to talk to one of the larger , more reputable ktm shops. They are not in WA unfortunately. Munns in TX ,Cyclezone in KS, KTMpartshouse.com or if Carls has it they are closer. You basically order it by part #. Another good place to research this is KTMtalk.com.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I'd be willing to bet you can do it by improvising, first off why would you need to lock it on TDC just to install a kickstart or lock the clutch in any position?

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I'd be willing to bet you can do it by improvising, first off why would you need to lock it on TDC just to install a kickstart or lock the clutch in any position?

No idea. It just says to do it. Doesn't make sense to me either.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Had a riding buddy have this done to his 13 by a dealer and he told me that the dealer had to do something to the map in it to alow it to start??? Anyone else here this as my son is talking about putting one on his 13. I am hoping he just misunderstood the dealer.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Well, given its EFI I can see needing a reprogram. It's possible it was just that particular bike though.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Done. Feel much better now. Once I get the bike completely back together I'll let you know if a reprogram is required or not. The FI light came on when I kicked it over so I think I will be ok.

2625e57295a8e47709d7345ce9f993b3.jpg

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
timing

the water pump is actually timed. so if you remove it before timing the wp to the crank shaft you will have a hell of a time getting it put back together in time....yes the mandral is not mandatory.but you will need to come up with a way to time it.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
The instructions seem to make it fairly easy. According to it you simply put the dot on the gear wheel in line with the screw that goes through where the supposed special tool goes. I just stuck a bolt in and lined it before reassembling the cover. It did appear to to be 3 or 4 teeth off though when I took it apart. But I reassembled according to the instructions.

Curious what that weight on the water pump gear is for anyway - to balance the motor?

Last edited:

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Timing water pump?

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know adding kickstarter involved timing the water pump! Dealer installed the kicker in 1 hour. Hope he reassembled correctly, very likely I wouldn't have. I'll pester him tomorrow.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i did this same kit on my 14 Berg 501. Not difficult at all, and didn't need any special tools, just a brain. the reason it needs to stay at TDC is because the water pump is "clocked" as its driven off the balance shaft that sits in the clutch cover case. as long as you line up the "dot" on the balancer with the hole in the cover and keep it at TDC you'll be golden. It's kinda scary once opened up (lots of gears and such), but just follow the directions and all will be well. You can see if its at TDC two different ways (remove the valve cover is the most fool proof, or look through the hole (arrow) and see the HASH mark on the crank. you can actually run the bolt through the hole and it will be lock the crank in place if you are worried about it moving.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Is this available for 2013 450sxf? Part number? Dealer told me its not available but others have said it is? I see spot in case where it should go.

check your case to make sure there is a place for the kickstarter, if there is, then the kit exists. It's the same kit for all the bikes i believe. It should be about $240.

R
Mar 24, 2009
If anyone still has any questions on the correct part number, call Jake at Carl's in Boise at 853-5550. He will know exactly what you are asking about as he had to bird dog mine from KTM directly to get it. He won't forget the experience if you mention mine. Mine was on backorder for over two months but finally arrived and I had Carl's go ahead and install it and it works fine.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
If anyone still has any questions on the correct part number, call Jake at Carl's in Boise at 853-5550. He will know exactly what you are asking about as he had to bird dog mine from KTM directly to get it. He won't forget the experience if you mention mine. Mine was on backorder for over two months but finally arrived and I had Carl's go ahead and install it and it works fine.

And I presume no reprogram was required?

Premium Features