• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on ported track verse unported

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Any one got any feedback about track porting on a snowbike? I know it has been argued for years on sleds. I am contemplating porting my new track to make it spin easier and hold less snow.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
I did it on a few sleds and it seemed to help. Did not lose any floatation, the track did seem to spin easier and ALOT less snow packed in the skid. I am seriously contemplating doing it to my LT kit when I get it in a few weeks. Anything that can free up some power on one of these should be a good thing.

Very curious if someone has done this on a snow bike and how it worked....

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I am as well......yes it does seem to help free up some horse power on sleds.

I don't see why a reasonably conservative porting job wouldn't help on a snowbike as well.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I did mine with 2 1 inch holes per bar . It softens up the track considerably and reduces rolling resistance that way. Better top speed if you are geared high enough. It does not seem to do much different in deep snow but clears out well and does not load up with snow in the skid.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
I'm going to ride mine a few times then do it to see if I notice any difference. Like it has been said it should help track speed and keeping the skid clear. Both very helpful things.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
port side

been running ported tracks on my three snobike setups, no question cleaner skid, better lube in low snow trail riding, about to port my new 2.5 144.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The oem tracks come with the center punched , like Polaris does for their goofy center extrovert vibrator thing. I am probably going to drill (2) 7/8" holes per pitch to try to reduce rolling resistance. On the fence though, don't want to lose anymore flotation than I have going from 137 o 132

E

epicloop

Mar 21, 2011
Read up on this a bit elsewhere & sounds like just behind lugs with 2-1" holes is the best setup.

Premium Features