• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TITAN XD

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I cannot believe that nobody on here has grabbed one of these yet!
The perfect compromise between half & 3/4 ton.
310 HP 5.0 V8 Cummins with 555 lb ft torque!

Anxious for a review from a fellow sledder!

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
My father has one and is very happy with it! He previously drove a 16 F150 with Eco boost. We've not yet had the truck in the mountains but hauling our trailer down the interstate back home has been extremely impressive. The additional weight of the truck heavier suspension better brakes and larger wheel base makes hauling a much more pleasant experience in high winds at interstate speed. The F150 we found to be way to soft and it was a chore to keep on the road in similar wind conditions with the trailer. The the additional torque is noticeable and helps tremendously in the rolling hills. Mileage is fair and over a five hour trip with trailer in tow it showed just over 11mpg. Interior wise it's very comfortable and plush. The electronics are functional and allow you to monitor peramiters important to towing. Much improved from previous generation Japanese trucks. From a drivers perspective you sit higher more like a three quarter ton than half. It's a great truck and has been impressive thus far!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
What is the payload capacity? It isnt easy to find on their web site.

I was surprised the truck weighs 7,000lbs. Must be heavy enough that they dont have to report fuel economy?

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Payload is disappointing and for the same amount of money you can get a more capable 3/4 ton.

I feel I can speak to a couple of the above comments. The payload is in the neighborhood of 1000 pounds less than that of a 3/4 ton. Based on a quick search it's just over 2,000 pounds. If you're looking to heavy haul you may want to go the 3/4 route. This truck isn't supposed to compete with a 3/4 it's a heavy half and fits that criteria quite well. If you haul snowmobiles you'll be hard pressed to exceed it's specified capacities. Like I stated previously we were after mass and wheel base to make those windy trips less tiring. Both the Eco Boost and Tundra had plenty of power to get the trailer down the road in ideal conditions. However the additional torque of the diesel does make things more pleasant over the gas trucks we've used.

Regarding cost our findings have been for a fully loaded comparable 3/4 you're looking at figures in the realm of 68-70K. The Titan with a similar option package was 4-5K less.

Last edited:

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
I have had my eye on them, going to see how they do for a year and will probably end up with one. They seem well built and comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Payload is a max of 2,091 lbs. But can be as low as 1,470 lbs.

For Comparison a GMC 2500HD is going to be between 2,967 and 3,559.

I wouldn't call the payload anymore capable than a half ton.

A GMC half ton can be equipped for a payload of 2100 lbs.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
I've been shopping for trucks on the Chevrolet site and found that a 3/4 with the diesel in a crew and standard box has a payload of 2,600lb. It seems there are several factors that play into this number. I guess if one is shopping based on payload you'll need to be very conscious of your configuration.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
4x2,regular cab,short bed, will have the highest payload and u will lose close to 1,000lbs of payload when u choose 4x4,crew cab, long bed.

So. A loaded crew cab 4wd long bed diesel (2000 f250 1,985#)could have a smaller payload than a 4x2 regular cab short bed half ton(2016 f150 2,203#). Yikes!

GS6

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
4x2,regular cab,short bed, will have the highest payload and u will lose close to 1,000lbs of payload when u choose 4x4,crew cab, long bed.

So. A loaded crew cab 4wd long bed diesel (2000 f250 1,985#)could have a smaller payload than a 4x2 regular cab short bed half ton(2016 f150 2,203#). Yikes!

GS6

That's what I'm seeing too. You really have to explore all aspects of a truck to fairly classify it or say ones more capable than the other.

Since this thread has started we have had opportunity to pull a little heavier load with the truck (small tractor {12,000#}). It handled the load well and felt comfortable. The engine and transmission paired well for such load and handled the hills confidently.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I think it would be a great truck for hauling sleds, normal sized campers, and the vast majority of consumer type stuff. Not everyone subscribes to needing a kenworth to pull a 2 place sled trailer like 1/2 the guys on here lol

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
There are two things in my opinion that would be nice to have available on this truck. One an exhaust brake for those long steep mountain passes and two a long bed for sled deck guys who don't desire to have as much sled hanging out the back.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I wanted to weigh in on this as 2 months ago I was looking to trade my 2014 ecodiesel on a new truck. My ED had been flawless but was getting up in miles (80k miles) and it was just time as I usually only keep my trucks 2-3 years. I was extremely interested in the new XD as it had similar power levels to my old 03 cummins that I had way back when and that was more than enough for me when I had much heavier things that needed to be towed. Well the nissan dealer gave me a fully loaded XD to take overnight and from a power standpoint it had more than enough for my sledding needs. I have an 8.5 by 20 enclosed that loaded with sleds probably weighs 6k and even my ecodiesel was plenty comfortable towing it all over colorado. When I returned the truck the next day I told the salesman I wanted to think about it overnight... he insisted that I keep the truck another day and boy am I glad I didn't. I got back in my ED (which happens to be a laramie) and immediately realized that the new Nissan was still lagging behind my Ram in the interior department. The leather in the nissan wasn't as nice. The dash and knobs all felt much cheaper. The uconnect on the Ram was far easier to use.

So in closing the XD had a nice powertrain but felt like an outdated interior compared to my Ram that was redesigned back in 2013. I ended up going with a Ram Rebel which wasn't even on my list but was heavily discounted because it was a demo.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think it would be a great truck for hauling sleds, normal sized campers, and the vast majority of consumer type stuff. Not everyone subscribes to needing a kenworth to pull a 2 place sled trailer like 1/2 the guys on here lol

The problem is that the 1/2 ton diesel is nearly the same price as a 3/4 ton diesel with same trim levels. We are discussing this a little on the 2017 Duramax thread. There are reasons to have a 1/2 ton over a HD truck. Stuff like smoother ride, less step in height, cheaper tire and fluid changes. But for me...I'll take the HD where I can legitimately haul two sleds on a sled deck or pull a fifth wheel trailer that isn't considered a "lite" version.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I think this truck is expensive for what you get. I will hand it to Nissan for giving it a 5 year 100,000 miles BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty. Big step up there

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Finally starting to see some incentives on these trucks.
Would give solid consideration if I were in the market.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
They seem like a truck with te high purchase price and maintainance of a diesel and the capacity of a half ton.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The truck is interesting enough but I don't think it is up to par with the major 3 with interior or exterior looks. If money was not a factor I would get a 2017 super duty platinum or GMC danali or chevy high country. I am a GM guy and the new super duty would probably win me over to ford.

Premium Features