• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW PRODUCTS FROM ZOLLINGER RACING PRODUCTS

I
Nov 26, 2007
Does a lighter clutch cover, and cover bolts require clutch calibration changes? My non engineer brain said it probably would require slightly different weight's and rates, but what do I know...

No. It will rev faster because it has less rotating weight but only the spring/weights affect max rpm.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I would like to see a ti clutch bolt to me that would save more weight than the cover, but I don't know if it would hold up don't know much about strength of ti vs steel.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I would like to see a ti clutch bolt to me that would save more weight than the cover, but I don't know if it would hold up don't know much about strength of ti vs steel.

They are already available thru Alt Impact and PCC, Alt's is far cheaper about 1/2 the cost of PCC's and comes complete with the washer, As well as the secondary bolt and washer are included. If the PCC is just the primary bolt, that is just robbery for 1/4 of the stuff at twice the price. (Maybe a PCC customer can speak to that?)

That said; with the clutch bolt being on the centerline it is essential neutral to the moment of inertia.

The further the mass gets from the rotational center line the greater the effect. Bang for your buck!

For a visual of that, take a bike tire and a car tire of the same diameter, which would you rather spin and keep spinning? Additionally the larger the mass and the further it is from the rotational center line the greater the gyro scope effect is which ultimately will resist rider input and prefer to follow Newtons law "that once in motion it wants to remain in motion" the other half of that is "unless acted upon by an outside force". Which is You the rider, the larger the Gyro effect the harder you have to work to overcome that and get the sled to do what you want it to do. FWIW

Last edited:

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Offset Spindles

The offset spindles also include bushings for those wondering. No need to buy the crazy expensive stock ones.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
How much weight does the cover and ti bolts save?

Also, As of yesterday we are now a dealer for ZRP parts. Check out our website for more details and to place an order.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of their products.

Clutch Cover: -0.451lb
Stock: 500g +/- 5g
Zollinger: 295g

Brake Disk: -0.524lb
Stock: 825g
Zollinger: 587g

Clutch Bolts: -0.096lb
Stock: 17g
Zollinger: 9.7g

zollingerclutchcover_zps3ttzckxa.jpg

Zollingerbrakedisk_zps6bf8k79s.jpg

clutchcover_zpsmez6canp.jpg

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Does the primary clutch need to be rebalanced with the new LW primary cover? If so, how do balance with the cover since that is where they remove material to balance the clutch typically?

I
Nov 26, 2007
Does the primary clutch need to be rebalanced with the new LW primary cover? If so, how do balance with the cover since that is where they remove material to balance the clutch typically?

Yes. Even if the light weight cover was perfectly balanced it would throw off the balance of your clutch since your stock cover was not perfectly balanced on its own. You would drill holes in the back or side of the stationary sheave, there are probably already some there.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Ideally all parts of the clutch should be balanced individually and then assembled. Otherwise if you ever reshim the spider for proper belt clearance you just screwed the balance job.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Ideally all parts of the clutch should be balanced individually and then assembled. Otherwise if you ever reshim the spider for proper belt clearance you just screwed the balance job.

This is the proper way. If you send the lw cover to an expert like Indy Specialties I have no doubt he will get you a top notch balance job.

Really the ZPR clutch cover should be very close to balanced as they are manufactured from billet on high precision machinery. The stock clutch requires balances much more because the components are cast aluminum.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
This is the proper way. If you send the lw cover to an expert like Indy Specialties I have no doubt he will get you a top notch balance job.

Really the ZPR clutch cover should be very close to balanced as they are manufactured from billet on high precision machinery. The stock clutch requires balances much more because the components are cast aluminum.

So are you claiming once the cover is installed on a clutch that it is NOT required to have it re-balanced?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
So are you claiming once the cover is installed on a clutch that it is NOT required to have it re-balanced?

No sir.
I think PES is stating that the billet cover is machined much more precise to the fact that they have very specific tolerance compared to the stock clutch that is cast and not near as tight. So installing the cover is good but to ensure perfection you should have the clutch balanced regardless.

If I took off my brandnew never used primary in my 16 AXYS I will Garauntee that it will come back will additional balance marks. The factory does a poor job.

Premium Features