• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS just off the dyno with 2012 162

G

gordo1

Dec 3, 2007
schroeder, mn.
Talked to steve today... he said the weights for the 12 are a bit different and will have them this week.

you mean he is just now getting weights for the 2012's or he was out and is just getting caught back up this week? just curious because if they are different for the 12's then maybe i got the old ones? i got 3 sets from him i'd say about a month ago now!

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
you mean he is just now getting weights for the 2012's or he was out and is just getting caught back up this week? just curious because if they are different for the 12's then maybe i got the old ones? i got 3 sets from him i'd say about a month ago now!

I got my set for a 2012 M800 over a month ago as well. I spoke to Steve directly and he was very clear the set he sent me was for a 2012.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The 2012 weight set has been around for a couple months. We were backordered on them for a while, so I think what he meant was we will have them back in stock this week. They are on the shelf if you need some.

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
RACINSTATION,

Any idea if the MDS weights take care of the RPM issues others were experiencing in this post?

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284939

I've got MDS weights and the Polaris black spring in my primary and haven't had a chance to get it on the snow yet. Do you think its a problem that weights won't fix, i.e. springs, helix need changing?

Thanks.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
[QUOTE
I've got MDS weights and the Polaris black spring in my primary and haven't had a chance to get it on the snow yet. Do you think its a problem that weights won't fix, i.e. springs, helix need changing?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

IMO The stock primary spring isn't near stiff enough. The polaris black should take care of it. A faster shifting weight like MDS should make up for the stiffer spring and make the sled feel faster due to the faster upshift.

How I like to clutch is make the sled up shift as fast as possible so its a lot of fun to ride when not on a big hill. Fast upshift comes from aggresive ramp profiles in both the primary and secondary. Using higher spring pressures in both will help it backshift when the secondary senses more load.
IMO cat has missed by a mile in the secondary using a 36 str. helix. Sure there a little easier to tune but boring. A 46/36 helix will gear it up faster off the line and still finish at an angle the motor can pull. Pro climbs are geared higher so 46 might be a little steep for the Pro but IMO they will need to be geared down for mountain riding in deep snow.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
With all the items on the 800 cats we put a new 162 on our loadcell track dyno a couple days ago thanks to Valley Marine. The results are very impressive, pulling 2 more grams with our MDS weights and 9.7 hp over stk clutching to the track! The new secondary which is bigger in diameter and chain case must be the reason for this. Can't wait to get our hands on a 1100t.

???? What the heck!!! Were'nt we told that the diamond drive would put more power to the snow than those old school relic chaincase sleds? I feel like a sheep.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Rode today with the MDS weights and a stock sled. I was pulling 8000-8100 RPMs and the other sled would only do 7800. Need to get the first tank of fuel thru rthem both and see what happens. You can definately feel the MDS weights pull harder and have more snap. Will be getting another set for the other sled.

W
Argggg.

Not to rain on anybody's parade but the dude is talking about the same sled with new clutching compared to stock clutching. Track dynos are real good at getting clutching close but typically bias the power towards the engine's torque peak rather than at the HP peak. So, some adjustment may be needed on the hill. Also, mfrs aren't the greatest at calibrating away from "home base" at altitude. IP clutching didn't work in the Snowy's judging from my '10 M8. It's good gains have been made but a tad more info is needed; like altitude of the test, what weights came out, what went back in, peak rpms before and after the changes, ambient temp, airbox temp, and other stuff. If it all looks good, then the gain really could be legit and then, crap, you need another 300 bones to get what the factory should have given out of the box...

It' elevation everyone..not altitude. Altitude is for flight above sea-level.

Seems I am always correcting peeps as well as some high dollar advertising companies. Not sure why it's a pet peev. :bolt:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Rode today with the MDS weights and a stock sled. I was pulling 8000-8100 RPMs and the other sled would only do 7800. Need to get the first tank of fuel thru rthem both and see what happens. You can definately feel the MDS weights pull harder and have more snap. Will be getting another set for the other sled.

What weights is that other sled running, 67 or 70g? I'm running Cat 65g up here on my PC. Rode last weekend at 11,500ft and was pulling 8150rpm in pow climbs. M8 was pulling the same rpm. My PC is pulling well over 8200rpm on flats at 10K ft. I knew damn well before I ever rode this thing it wasn't gonna pull anything heavier up here using stock weights.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
The other sled has 67g weights in it. I have a hps can and weights coming for it also. Could use the 65g weights put in it or MDS before next ride.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The other sled has 67g weights in it. I have a hps can and weights coming for it also. Could use the 65g weights put in it or MDS before next ride.

Something is off then. I put 68g weights in JP's HCR and he pulls 8050-8100rpms all day long at 11K. He is still using the stock can. I'm running the SLP can. Both our sleds pulled well over 8000rpms since day one.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
What weights is that other sled running, 67 or 70g? I'm running Cat 65g up here on my PC. Rode last weekend at 11,500ft and was pulling 8150rpm in pow climbs. M8 was pulling the same rpm. My PC is pulling well over 8200rpm on flats at 10K ft. I knew damn well before I ever rode this thing it wasn't gonna pull anything heavier up here using stock weights.

Up here where we were @ this weekend 11,000- we are running the 67g and can pull 8150 easy in pow climbs

B
Sep 23, 2008
Penticton BC
Clutching works

Just went out for my first ride with the new setup, the MDS clutching worked better than stock on my 2012 M8. I had 200 miles on the sled before I changed the clutching. The engine is pulling stronger and harder on those deep powder climbs.

Just my two $

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
Just went out for my first ride with the new setup, the MDS clutching worked better than stock on my 2012 M8. I had 200 miles on the sled before I changed the clutching. The engine is pulling stronger and harder on those deep powder climbs.

Just my two $

What weight and spring set up do you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be checkin wells!

Premium Features