• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GeoPDFs for Wyoming riding areas now available from Wyoming State Trails Program

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
Edit: File size reduced so could load to Garmin GPS. I still have the larger file if anyone wants it. This file still seems to have better resolution than an older version posted in the forum since the state has provided a larger PDF map base file.

Try the attached Snowies file. I have created google earth overlay file.

NOTE: Snowest does not allow .kmz files to be attached to threads, so you will need to change the name of the attachment as described below:

1. Download the "2016 Snowies.pdf" file to your computer
2. Rename the file to "2016 Snowies.kmz"
3. Open the file using Google Earth
4. Make sure that you have your sidebar turned on (View -> Sidebar)
5. You should see the 2016 Snowies map listed under "My Places". Right click on it and select "Properties" - now you can adjust the tranparency and move the map around if you want to try to get things to line up better than I did.
6. If you have a newer Garmin GPS unit that allows you to upload custom maps follow the directions at this website starting with step #5 (I have done steps 1-4 for you)

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-2
I downloaded the snowies pdf file but i cant open it. It tells me if is not a valid file,and it does not show up in my google earth places either. what am I doing wrong?

Hike&Hunt

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2016
Windsor, CO
After you download it, right click on the file and select rename. Delete pdf and replace it with kmz, hit enter and click yes on the dialog box that comes up. It will now show the file as a kmz file and you can open it in GE.

B

bigbone

Nov 26, 2007
Iowa
I right click on the file and select rename type in 2016 snowies kmz and it changes the name and thats it, no box that says yes and no kmz file change. I must not be doing something right

Hike&Hunt

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2016
Windsor, CO
You are close but slightly off. You need to delete the 3 letters after the . (pdf) and type kmz in place of them. This is changing the file extension from a PDF to something Google earth will be able to use.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Some good information, I used to mess around with handheld GPS units. Now I have a Polaris gauge which works for most instances. For those that don't have the gauge and are looking for a cheap/easy way to get maps I'd recommend the Polaris Ride Command App. You can download the map for your riding area to your phone so it works where you don't have cell service. You could also us an old phone and download off wifi, never requiring cell service... You also don't have to ride a Polaris to use the app but you will probably wish you did :face-icon-small-coo

https://ridecommand.polaris.com/en-us/landing-pages/SnowLandingPage

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Cool! I got that app Avenza, and loaded in the two maps I wanted from my Dropbox. Now it's on my IPhone 6 so when I want to use it up in the mountains, turn on airplane mode and turn off Bluetooth and such all that to save battery, and it will still track due to the GPS card in my phone?

I used avenza also. I got snowiest and Buff pass Co on there. Looks like it will work good. When I load Sierra Madre it loads but avenza says map isn't referenced there for functions that require coordinates are disabled. Anyone else have this problem.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
will these maps on avenza work on an android phone with you dont have cell service? (assuming you have them loaded prior to heading out into the mountains)

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
will these maps on avenza work on an android phone with you dont have cell service? (assuming you have them loaded prior to heading out into the mountains)

I don't see why not - you are downloading the map and using the phone GPS. No cell signal is required. We tried it out on IOS over New Years and it worked great.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY

Yes, they will. Myself and another guy in my group have our iPhones on airplane mode, and it still tracks us all day and is perfectly accurate. The other guy in our group uses it with his Droid all the time - you may have to enable your location services if your phone is on airplane mode, though.

Pulled mine out on Saturday when we stopped at Quealy about 6:00 pm before heading back to the lot and the map was completely accurate and showed me on the spot.

Premium Features