• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Ford Super Duty uping the ante

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
HP increases worthless??? Huh? My whole life is about HP increases. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning. Where am I? Is this the snowest forum? The place motorheads unite and pursue trivial topic's and dream about bigger and faster stuff? What kind of a world do we live in that HP increases are worthless?

Sure, if money was no object I would be all over having a fast truck and not give a hoot about mileage. Unfortunately for me, it is. Being able to race a Subaru over vail pass is cool, but to me nowhere near as cool as riding a snowmobile. An increase in mpg means I get to go snowmobiling more.

I'm just saying that trucks reached a point where they could run the speed limit with a big trailer over a pass and after that more hp is not necessary, just fun. For me, if all that research was put into increasing the mpg instead of hp I could have a truck now that maybe wasn't the most fun, but would save me enough money to make multiple additional trips each year doing what I really love.

But to each his own, I don't blame anybody for loving hp cause I certainly do. I just know that with my limitations I can have more fun in the long run if things were gone about a different way.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
You guys need to get out more. Use your diesels and have some fun. Dale Earnhardt Jr says he does a burn out every day on his street cars becasue its fun. I drive a diesel because its fun to burn oil and have that much factory power under my right foot. And lets be honest. Who doesn't like climbing hills around town and giving the tuner kids a little schooling. Great fun.

Last edited:

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
440 hp and 860 hp. Beats the HO/Aisin Cummins by 10 ft lbs but 55 hp. The real question is will actually keep up with the Duramax? The Duramax has been spanking the 6.7 Powerstroke since its intro. The Cummins hadn't kept up till the Aisin version came out.

that is surprising to hear. we traveled a lot last summer pulling a 32' triple axle enclosed and took a 6.7 PS or 2010 duramx. the dmax only made it one trip and never got used again; it was night and day. much louder, way less power (the dmax had a towing tune and PS was 100% stock), and less interior room.

T

Turbopower

Apr 6, 2008
The 2010 Duramax has less power, but the 2011 was turned up to 397 Hp and 765 lb tq. And that our runs fords 2011 powerstroke @ 400 hp and 800 lb.:face-icon-small-win

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
I had a 09 dmax i traded for a 13 last falls lots more power in the 13. i hope the new ford 6.7 works out ok we all know fords had lots of problems the last 8 years. with the 6.0 and 6.4 if they get the 6.7 to work i may have one next time.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
In addition to blown turbos, failing CP4s, I'm surprised no one mentioned valve issues with the current Powerstroke engine.

I would wait to see what Ford resolved with the updated engine and if any new problems creep up.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You guys need to get out more. Use your diesels and have some fun. Dale Earnhardt Jr says he does a burn out every day on his street cars becasue its fun. I drive a diesel because its fun to burn oil and have that much facory power under my right foot. And lets be honest. Who doesnt like climbing hills around town and giving the tuner kids a little schooling. Great fun.

Bleh...if I buy and mod a vehicle to go fast...it sure as hell won't be a pickup truck. You could probably build a really fast bearcat with enough money...

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
In addition to blown turbos, failing CP4s, I'm surprised no one mentioned valve issues with the current Powerstroke engine.

I would wait to see what Ford resolved with the updated engine and if any new problems creep up.

I read about the valves as well but I thought that was limited to early 2011 models?

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
Reading the duramax forums I've seen hardly any pump failures.

Read the Powerstroke forums and there are a lot. But ford refused to pay for a lot of them. Along with the injectors and other fuel system components.

GM is at least stepping up and taking care of its customers.

After having a Vp44 Cummins truck and worrying about the pump leaving you standed, I don't want to worry about that. I never had an issue but I'm ordering a 14 Cummins shortly and it's nice to not have to worry about the very reliable cp3.

Maybe so but there also has been 10x more Fords sold! it would be different if you were comparing apples to apples...
and that's why they didn't need our TAX $ for BAILOUT!!I could go on and on .. on how Chevy/GMC pulled all there contracts from US company's and continued to us there over seas contracts(China)thru there tough times ect.. but thousands of Americans Lost there jobs because of canceled Contracts!! so I hope you guys ect are enjoying those Chevy/GMC your driving cause your paying for it twice! once thru the dealer and twice thru your TAX$$ Bailout!.for China??
Sorry for the soap box!!:mad2:

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Maybe so but there also has been 10x more Fords sold! it would be different if you were comparing apples to apples...
and that's why they didn't need our TAX $ for BAILOUT!!I could go on and on .. on how Chevy/GMC pulled all there contracts from US company's and continued to us there over seas contracts(China)thru there tough times ect.. but thousands of Americans Lost there jobs because of canceled Contracts!! so I hope you guys ect are enjoying those Chevy/GMC your driving cause your paying for it twice! once thru the dealer and twice thru your TAX$$ Bailout!.for China??
Sorry for the soap box!!:mad2:

Where did you find numbers for Ford selling 10 times more 6.7l powerstrokes then Duramaxes? I have a hard time believing that.

I would love to buy a US made and US owned company truck but Ford is making it hard. Unproven motor with the soft frame and outdated interior. And the motor is made in mexico.

Duramax is an Isuzu joint venture(Japanese) and gm was bailed out.

The Ram is made in Mexico by an Italian company but the motor is US made by a US company at least.

Pick ur poison i guess

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
Where did you find numbers for Ford selling 10 times more 6.7l powerstrokes then Duramaxes? I have a hard time believing that.

I would love to buy a US made and US owned company truck but Ford is making it hard. Unproven motor with the soft frame and outdated interior. And the motor is made in mexico.

Duramax is an Isuzu joint venture(Japanese) and gm was bailed out.

The Ram is made in Mexico by an Italian company but the motor is US made by a US company at least.

Pick ur poison i guess

Hahaha
really? so you saying that GM and Chevy are different Companys? not sure were you getting your info or what your smoking there in Bozo land!.. Unproven/outdated ? just the Ford 7.3 out sold your Duramaxs to this date today!and outdated interior? are you thinking the XL version?

..Diesel Power Magazine ranked the 7.3L one of the top ten diesel engines ever produced. Today, over two million 7.3L engine-equipped Ford Trucks are still in operation – more than Chevrolet, GMC, and Dodge diesels, combined. During its 9 year production run, the 7.3L was widely acknowledged as a leader in diesel engine technology.
and the 6.7 is close on its heals..
But for a guy like you that drives a ecoboost.(which is a FORD by the way). probably really don't understand the power of a diesel!! or you would still be driving one:face-icon-small-win

But like you said pick your poison ..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
as much as we all like to joke about it, honestly, how often, if ever on newer trucks do you need to go WOT besides just horsing around? they have done just about everything a guy needs very practically.

I love my HP like any guy does, but we are at a point where I could see some focus in other directions being much more practical for the long run. IE capable half ton, killer milage. Im rocking an '00 7.3 ford, and althought i love it, its terribly impractical, i just wanted something that can do the 3 place trailer, or sled deck without being tapped out, but 99% of the time im cruising around empty throwing money away.

You guys need to get out more. Use your diesels and have some fun. Dale Earnhardt Jr says he does a burn out every day on his street cars becasue its fun. I drive a diesel because its fun to burn oil and have that much facory power under my right foot. And lets be honest. Who doesnt like climbing hills around town and giving the tuner kids a little schooling. Great fun.

Bleh...if I buy and mod a vehicle to go fast...it sure as hell won't be a pickup truck. You could probably build a really fast bearcat with enough money...

I like this one, so I'll weigh in on this one.

I LOVE pulling cars that are 1/3 of my size and weight. THAT's worth the price of fuel when you see them looking at you like WTF? LOL

It IS fun to make 600lbs at 1/2 throttle pulling away from your buddy who has it to the floor.

My 2012 f350 has a Mini Max with deletes. ON paper, that is 550hp and 1020 ft/lbs. THAT is freakin FUN!!!!
And I can shift that on the fly on these new models. HAHA

Mileage isn't THAT bad either, especially with 37" tires.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA

True, and I don't own a vehicle that gets over 18mpg downhill or less than 400hp...........but I can afford to.
If I was watching my pennies, no way I could even begin to justify my Cummins or SRT.
Well, who an I kidding, the only 2 vehicles I've EVER owned other than to fix and flip less than 8 cylinders are my current Cummins and my old CJ5 straight 6!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a faster truck than a slower truck. But given adequate HP....I'd be willing to give up some HP for mileage in a truck, because going fast it's not it's number 1 function IMO.

If I wanna go fast as a priority, I'd rather have a car that would be WAY faster for the $, and not just in a straight line. Power, brakes, handling, whole package. I will put my cheap 125hp Civic I drive to work and back up against any diesel 1-ton on a twisty road....lol.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Hahaha
really? so you saying that GM and Chevy are different Companys? not sure were you getting your info or what your smoking there in Bozo land!.. Unproven/outdated ? just the Ford 7.3 out sold your Duramaxs to this date today!and outdated interior? are you thinking the XL version?

..Diesel Power Magazine ranked the 7.3L one of the top ten diesel engines ever produced. Today, over two million 7.3L engine-equipped Ford Trucks are still in operation – more than Chevrolet, GMC, and Dodge diesels, combined. During its 9 year production run, the 7.3L was widely acknowledged as a leader in diesel engine technology.
and the 6.7 is close on its heals..
But for a guy like you that drives a ecoboost.(which is a FORD by the way). probably really don't understand the power of a diesel!! or you would still be driving one:face-icon-small-win

But like you said pick your poison ..

???

I'm saying the government bailing GM out (which I know owns Chevrolet, GMC, Isuzu, Allison, etc) is what everybody complains about. Its not a deal breaker for me but a lot of people complain about it.

The 2014 Ford Super Duty interior is a little outdated compared to the 13+ Ram and 15 GMs.

Never said the 7.3 wasn't a good engine. Its a great engine other then it doesn't like the cold. Lets not forget Caterpillar helped design it though.

The debate is if the 6.7 Powerstroke is going to hold up and if they have fixed the issues for 15?

I am interested how many 6.7 Powerstrokes have been sold since 2011? And what about 6.7 Cummins and Duramax engines?

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I'm a diehard diesel guy and I'm getting an eco-boost tomorrow. I won't have to worry about clogged diesel particulate filters, refilling urea, CP4 pumps that fail if a drop of water ends up in your fuel tank, fuel dilution issues from DPF regeneration, ceramic glow plugs that can crack and spit parts into your engine, special low SAP oils, and all the EPA crap combined that has reduced fuel economy while increasing complexity to an absurd level.

I laugh when I see a 250 or 350 hauling an 18 foot camper...talk about overkill.

I also find it funny that folks won't buy a GM product because of the bailout but buy the Ford Superdootie which has a made in MEXICO engine. Based on 2012 data, the average wage of a Mexican worker was $2.50/hour. You'd think with all of that savings in labor, that Ford would use it to improve the quality of their 6.7L "scorpion" engine.

Last edited:
C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I'm a diehard diesel guy and I'm getting an eco-boost tomorrow. I won't have to worry about clogged diesel particulate filters, refilling urea, CP4 pumps that fail if a drop of water ends up in your fuel tank, fuel dilution issues from DPF regeneration, ceramic glow plugs that can crack and spit parts into your engine, special low SAP oils, and all the EPA crap combined that has reduced fuel economy while increasing complexity to an absurd level.

I laugh when I see a 250 or 350 hauling an 18 foot camper...talk about overkill.

I also find it funny that folks won't buy a GM product because of the bailout but buy the Ford Superdootie which has a made in MEXICO engine. Based on 2012 data, the average wage of a Mexican worker was $2.50/hour. You'd think with all of that savings in labor, that Ford would use it to improve the quality of their 6.7L "scorpion" engine.

Yeah I heard the ecoboost are completely trouble free too, especially after 100k or so of towing, I bet you will have a laundry list of worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I admit, I would LOVE to hook up an ecoboost to my 30ft trailer and see how it does pulling it up the mountain to Island Park.

Premium Features