• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 hold over or 17

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
Wreck my 15 xm and now trying to decide if I should go with a 16 hold over for a great price or spend 2500 more on a 17. With everything I have heard "good and bad" I'm just a little leary of the 17. I know with doing this and that you can make up for what skidoo F Up, but seems though that the 17 might go down with a bad wrap just like the 08 did and when it comes to resale a guy takes it in the shorts. Decisions decisions...

D
Sep 20, 2009
Ogden
If it were me I would probably lean towards the 16 for a couple of reasons.

(1) Cheaper out of the gate. With that being said resale you might be harder pressed to sell it because it is the older style. But the 17 could be a hard sell down the road.
(2) Known Predictability. With the 16 the problems are known. The 17 they are starting to show themselves with more frequency to the point where i would pick the 16 (less risk) versus the 17. I have two friends that have 17s and they both blew their belts ~200 miles.

But it is your money AND you only live once. So buy a polaris. Its the way out.....of snowmobiling.:face-icon-small-win

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
I was with ya right up to polaris lol! I've pretty much made up my mind on the 16 for the money, hell this would be a good sled to turbo "my first" for next year! Let skidoo figure the bugs out on the g4 for a couple years like always and then jump on a new one. But would be sweet to be on a new g4, people I have talked to say it's the real deal when riding it.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
The problems on the G4 are way overblown. In fact, most of the commenters on these forums don't even own a G4. The XM isn't close in terms of fun factor. And, G4 does not have any extra resale loss (e.g., see any used ones for sale cheap?). I'd also say that if you're paying $2,500 less than a G4 for an XM, you're getting a really ****ty deal. They are outdated at this point, and the resale on XMs going forward is reverse hockey stick.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
There really is no comparison between the two. An 850 will go where a turboed xm will go and I've seen it several times. After riding a 850 the xm feels like an anchor.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I had a 14 turbo 163 xm with 3 inch track and some other goodies. Rode it for 3 years and 2k miles. After 600 miles on my G4 154x3 I would never go back. The track just flat hooks up in almost all snow conditions, responds to my every input. I haven't had any belt problems as of yet and took a few hits with no bulk head damage yet. In a few weeks when the 18 come out you could probably find a decent deal on a new 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I've had two XM's did Dave's 872 kits in both of them they were great sleds. I'll just say this I would take the new Gen 4 stock any day over the XM modded chassis I had, they work that good. Spend the extra couple bucks, you won't regret it.:face-icon-small-win

880summitxrs

Lifetime Membership
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks everyone you just cost me more money. Seriously though thanks for the replies, I have decided on the 17. Found a 165 x package! Will be picking it up this Fri. What are some of the must have to do on this sled?

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Tuff vents, HPS can, stiffer rear springs, fuel caddy, storage bag, is what I've done so far. The sled is great right out of the box, you're going to have a blast on it.....

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Depending on the altitude you ride you probably need some pin weight to keep rpm under control.
Remove all the foam from under these hood and belt cover.
The rest is just wish list stuff like a bag or fuel for long trips.
Grind the tip of the carbides down smooth so they do not hook on rocks, that is part of my first go over on any sled.
And besides that just have fun --you will Love her:face-icon-small-hap

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
850 without question. Going from my 2011 xp summit to my 2013 xm summit was a good jump, but not even close to going from my 2015 xm to my 2017 summit gen4. Still have the 2015 and riding them side by side the xm is not as much fun, still fun, but not smiles all day like the gen 4.

the problems are blown out of proportion to me. its just like any thing else in this world, people will always complain before they talk good.

i have nothing but good to say about "my" 2017 summit x gen 4 154"

R
Dec 27, 2016
western montana
this weekend switched with buddy and rode his axys and also another buddys xm. They both felt ok. Got back on my G4 and it is a beast. Don't but a xm until you ride a G4. It is still amazing me every ride. You also wont get tired as quickly.

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
Just rode my 165 sp for the first time Saturday and it's a game changer for me. I've been riding a 240hp nytro for the last 7 years and while I miss the power I don't miss the handling or weight.
The G4 can take me anywhere the nytro did with much less effort and it's just plain hard to get stuck as it just stays on top of the snow much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
g4

I agree I have 954 mi. on my G4, original belt, no chain case or bulkhead issues. I could not be happier with my choice to go over to DOO. This is so much more sophisticated than any Arctic Cat I just did not know any better.
It gets the same fuel economy as my wife's A/C M6000
850 handling is awesome,. really fun to ride.
We will be getting another one in 18 and hopefully it will be a 650 for the wife. If not I am putting her on an 850
they are that much fun she says it is like riding on a cloud
(A FAST CLOUD)
Great sled!!!
I cannot speak to the XM chassis but the ones I rode were not even close

Premium Features