• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 300XC LT OR ST?

Wundah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2013
Central Washington
So just because I have been getting so many different responses about what to get here I thought I would throw it out here to the masses.... Mtn-Doo is finishing up my 14 300XC with Ultimate 300 setup and I'm going crazy trying to figure out which track to put under it. I should note that Mtn-Doo has said go ST and I want to believe him but I want more input. I'm 6'2" 230 with gear on and I live in the Cascades where it snows a ridiculous amount and I love to play in all of it. Last year I ran a 06 CRF450X with a UFO and it was alright but the bike wasn't mine and I had a buddy with a 300XC on a 2012 ST and it made me want one bad. Dropped the hammer and now after riding the best bike ever in the summer I'm ready for fun in the winter. I like powder, I don't just go out when there is limited snow cover, the UFO wasn't the floater I was hoping for and there are a couple guys out here running the 300 with LT's and now I'm at an impasse as to what to do. Powder=LT? Spring=ST? Which one would you get? I snow checked an LT but talked to the shop and if needed they will let me go ST... I need some more input folks...help a man out.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
It's really not fair to compare the UFO to the deep snow performance of the ST... especially a new 15 ST. It simply doesn't hold a candle to the Horse in the pow. Yes the LT has more float but that 300 he built for you is destined for the ST since the purpose of the bike is fast flickable playfulness.

I love the LT and I'll never go to ST for my own reasons, but I also have a bike built for the LT. I'm sure the LT would work on that bike but I don't know anyone who has it on the 300. I also don't hear of any complaints about the ST performance on the 300.

D

Dband212

Sep 17, 2013
Northern utah
A good friend I go riding with a lot has 2011 300xc with a 2014 st and it seemed to do awesome. Got stuck once in a while but not too bad at all and he would be in the ballpark of your weight. He's gone to a 15 st this year and I think that's where I'd go if it was me. We ride some deep and steep stuff in northern utah too. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
My concern would be your size with the 300 and the lt.. I have been told the you really need to 180 or below if the 300 is going to push it according to timbersled themselves. . I was going to put one on my 300 but ended up finding a cr500 to run... so I would say if that will be your final bike for the snow I would go st..

M
Jan 14, 2004
My first season I ran the ST on a KTM 450. My second season I switched to the LT. Personally I found no reason to go back to the ST from the LT and I weigh a buck eighty. I think it comes down to what kind of rider you are. The 300/ST package is going to be pretty high strung compared to my thumper and an LT, so track riding vs trail/woods riding if it were on dirt. As was mentioned I'd be concerned about your size and the ST and the 300, you will need to be on it hard ALL the time. I found the LT to be much more relaxing on myself and the bike. There is no doubt the ST is more agile but really not by much IMO. If you were buying a new Doo would you go 154, 163 or 174? Its really kind of the same thing. If it were me I would keep the LT and try it, LTs seem to sell out faster so switching it up down the road will be easier than going the other way.

I'm going to run a CR500 this year with an LT

Good luck

M5

Wundah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2013
Central Washington
tons of fun

so what i'm getting here is I should change my name to Tons of Fun... Alright I weigh more than TS suggests but I was able to ride a bike Chumbilly built last year on an ST and I got around alright but I never spent a long day on it. I'm not comparing the UFO to the TS at all, the UFO was sweet and tons of fun to ride but I was out on mostly deep days so I was just struggling to keep up with other guys unless I was fully on top of it, hauling *** and not trying to turn while climbing. Anyways I might just go with an LT since apparently I should be looking for a 500 in the offseason to ride next year but who knows, who knows. Maybe I'll go ST so when I win the lotto I can create a quiver of bikes for fun depending on the conditions...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
so what i'm getting here is I should change my name to Tons of Fun... Alright I weigh more than TS suggests but I was able to ride a bike Chumbilly built last year on an ST and I got around alright but I never spent a long day on it. I'm not comparing the UFO to the TS at all, the UFO was sweet and tons of fun to ride but I was out on mostly deep days so I was just struggling to keep up with other guys unless I was fully on top of it, hauling *** and not trying to turn while climbing. Anyways I might just go with an LT since apparently I should be looking for a 500 in the offseason to ride next year but who knows, who knows. Maybe I'll go ST so when I win the lotto I can create a quiver of bikes for fun depending on the conditions...

If it was me I would go with the LT hell that is what I did because when I look at the hp output it is over some 450's... Hell its only money;) Also in Utah we have pretty similar snow.. I think the longer track really helps.

Last edited:

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
It really depends on what kind of riding your planning on doing (and obviously...snow conditions). I prefer the ST for riding in the trees. It's more maneuverable than the LT. But if you're chasing sledders up wide open bowls then the LT does provide more pull although I wonder if the LT won't bog down with a heavy rider (I'm 230 lb) on a 300xc in deep snow. You need to keep your track speed up on a 300XC or you're doomed. The ST will let you keep those RPMs up.
I rode a 300XC before moving to a dedicated winter setup (450sxf) and it was a great intro to the sport. It can't compare to the torque the thumpers put out but it was loads of fun. You will definitely need to sort out carb icing however...but that's a different topic.
I'd go with the ST kit.

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
other things to consider

You've probably already thought of this but just in case, to get that 300xc spiced up a bit get an SX ignition. Also Trey.Ahlgrim@hotmail.com machines custom aftermarket heads with a optimized squish for better performance. It's the best $200 you can spend on the XC in addition to the ignition. Also worth ceramic coating your pipe. Also "red" spring.
I've actually got a pipe (already coated) and sx ignition that I was going to put on kijiji. let me know if interested.
Cheers,
Dave

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
You've probably already thought of this but just in case, to get that 300xc spiced up a bit get an SX ignition. Also Trey.Ahlgrim@hotmail.com machines custom aftermarket heads with a optimized squish for better performance. It's the best $200 you can spend on the XC in addition to the ignition. Also worth ceramic coating your pipe. Also "red" spring.
I've actually got a pipe (already coated) and sx ignition that I was going to put on kijiji. let me know if interested.
Cheers,
Dave
Another thumbs up for Trey Algrim,Guy knows his stuff.He reworked my ktm 150 xc head. ( no my s kit is not mounted to my 150)

Wundah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2013
Central Washington
Cheers folks I appreciate the advice. I ended up going LT and will let you know how it pans out this season. This bike is going to be wicked fun no matter what so I'm stoked to have her.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Steve, congrats on the new buy! You will be stoked with the lt. You will need it to hang with Gabe if he can get his 500 started!HAHA Now you just need a 2.4" paddle on that lt. I saw one day where a st could hang with the lt ever.

U
Sep 12, 2010
Steve, congrats on the new buy! You will be stoked with the lt. You will need it to hang with Gabe if he can get his 500 started!HAHA Now you just need a 2.4" paddle on that lt. I saw one day where a st could hang with the lt ever.

X2. I love my 146x2.5 track.

Premium Features