• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1997 yamaha mountain max 700

K
Oct 11, 2008
So i have this sled. i am doing mods to it. the only thing i want stock is the bulkhead and the belly pan. and some components.

i made up some drop hangers that lift the rear end 2 inches and i am going to drop the front bolt so its the same distance..ish. the shop told me to do that.

what can i get for a motor that will fit or big bore kit that i can get. i want to run on highest octane pump gas, possibly 50/50 premium/race fuel.

its going to take a year or two so i would like to get things sorted out beforehand.

also, i need new chain and gears for the chaincase. any good recommendations for a good match? i have 8 tooth extroverts with a 151 challenger track. I also have triple pipes.

i need info for:

one peice Tunnel (terra alps as they are local? they have a website)
Seat (boss? i cant justify spending 700 bones for a seat)
Hood..lightweight.
Engine(price perf?, cutler?)
Pipes( should be able to buy for future motor)
Skid(i looked at ezryde..opinions?)

i know i should just get a new sled but u have myself set on modding this.

is there any free mods? like lightweighting and stuff that i can drill out myself. i am pretty mechanically inclined, just lack of tools and welder to build my own tunnel.

I am going to get lightweight trailing arms, chromo radius rods and possibly simmons skis.

thanks in advance for all the input.

Last edited:
C
I don't know where you found a Boss seat for $700 but i would definitely not get mine there. My Boss seat for my Max only cost $523 shipped to me and though that was a lot of money for a seat and losing 11 pounds, it was definitely worth it. 3" highere rise than stock, much firmer and more rider forward position. Got mine from Go Big Parts.

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
mods

As for dropping the front mount (H-arm) thats going to make it trench like a ba$$tag. Cause that will make your approach angle steeper. If that is what your thinking I myself wouldn't do it.

K
Oct 11, 2008
im geting a new tunnel with a dropped and rolled chain case so approach angle wont be an issue. im getting this tunnel next season but i am only dropping the front about 1/2-3/4 of an inch

K
Oct 11, 2008
i want to get a new tunnel but i cant afford it at the moment.
im going to get one next season. is there a way to drop and roll the chaincase or to get a better approach angle on it after i drop the front part? stock tunnel.

N
Jan 6, 2008
mods

i used to ride a mm and we took a 700 srx and did a 800 bb to it and worked awsome..have a 700 srx with a bad crank if you are intersested..

you can do a drop and roll with the stock tunnel. mpi or fabcraft or northern lites, i believe. best way to change approach angle on that skid is to replace it or the rails with a 200 or newer mtn max or viper skid/rails and use the new geometry. or, relocate the skid. if you go drop and roll, you can taper the stock tunnel and save the cost of new. as for the seat, i have a guy that can make your stocker look similar to a boss, added height, shave pounds for around $200, using parts of your existing seat for a stock look, if the stock vinyl is reusable.

K
Oct 11, 2008
you can do a drop and roll with the stock tunnel. mpi or fabcraft or northern lites, i believe. best way to change approach angle on that skid is to replace it or the rails with a 200 or newer mtn max or viper skid/rails and use the new geometry. or, relocate the skid. if you go drop and roll, you can taper the stock tunnel and save the cost of new. as for the seat, i have a guy that can make your stocker look similar to a boss, added height, shave pounds for around $200, using parts of your existing seat for a stock look, if the stock vinyl is reusable.

i dont really want a stock look, and my leather is tearing so i want a boss now that i hear the price is less than 700 bucks haha.
and i was thinking of the terra alps tunnel. has the same style as van amburg, but are made locally in kelowna.(4 hour drive from where i live) and its the boondock tunnel, i guess i should have said i mountain ride, to make it easier for you guys. but i want the boondock tunnel.

Have any of you heard anything good or bad about the ez ryde suspension?

S
Dec 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I hate to rain on your parade, but you will be miles ahead buying a sled already built. There has/was a few in the swapmeet. IMHO you will need a 1998 and newer crankshaft and case for a big bore. Unless the 1997 can be changed to the 1998 specs. A D&R on a stock tunnel is a waist of time and money, especially if your considering going to an aftermarket tunnel.

R
Apr 13, 2002
Washington
I hate to rain on your parade, but you will be miles ahead buying a sled already built. There has/was a few in the swapmeet. IMHO you will need a 1998 and newer crankshaft and case for a big bore. Unless the 1997 can be changed to the 1998 specs. A D&R on a stock tunnel is a waist of time and money, especially if your considering going to an aftermarket tunnel.

That's the hard truth. I have a built Mtn. Max with a tunnel, skid, hood, boss seat, ect. ect. with a Price perf. 983 (srx case and crank) and it did not sell for $3500. I'm actually kind of glad though. After I did the math I'm happy to keep it. It would cost $7k or better to replace it with something that was fairly even in performance and probably LESS reliable. (M 1000)

K
Oct 11, 2008
yeah well if i have this sled an mod it ill keep it as my spring sled...or one for the girl. i am going to get an apex in the next year or when the next sled comes out for yamaha's platform change.

W
Dec 2, 2007
mm 700

i have an 01 mm 700 and i dropped and rolled the chain case moved my skid mount holes back about 2 inches threw a Polaris 155 skid on it with a 159 track and big wheels ekholm 155 tunnel slp triples air box delete oil bottle delete lightweight trailing arms aluminum radius rods and steering rods narrowed the front by about 4 inches just enough to get the skis under the tub and i know i am forgetting something but its been a while

Premium Features