• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Christopher's Easter Weekend Rescue (or what not to do in a blizzard)

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I guess he better hope that not everyone is like BossRev, and some are willing to ride with (and teach) people that may not have all the skills yet.

I'm no teacher. You want to be taught,
go hire Brett, Chris, Dan, Amber or any of the other paid snowmobile instructor.

There is a time and place for everything.
I have taken more newbs out this year then any other year before. There is a huge difference from going for a ride and taking newbs out riding. Every newb ride I went on this year was planed around the weather. Knowing that we were in store for blue skies and sun shine all day. I took it upon my self to make sure I had everything we would need for the group. I wouldn't take a newb into a blizzard, that's just common sense.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Rob scored this pic from S&R-

fisty.jpg

Oh...........CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
go hire Brett, Chris, Dan, Amber or any of the other paid snowmobile instructor.

There is a time and place for everything.
I have taken more newbs out this year then any other year before. There is a huge difference from going for a ride and taking newbs out riding. Every newb ride I went on this year was planed around the weather. Knowing that we were in store for blue skies and sun shine all day. I took it upon my self to make sure I had everything we would need for the group. I wouldn't take a newb into a blizzard, that's just common sense.

Yep exactly. I have ridden with n00bies in heavy snow days, but there was 2-1 experienced to nonexperienced people, so very easy to keep a close eye and know where the n00bs are at all times.

Like I said, push the nonexperienced riders, do not push the more experienced persons abilities or your asking for trouble.

I mean riding with the boys if different when you got 4-5 people who all know exactly what they are doing, you can do a lot more and not worry. I mean I will ride in blizzard conditions I don't care but I pick the places I go based on my group and error on the BIG side of caution.

I made a 100x worse mistake last season and will not soon forget it. It is different when your out there riding....but when the slope comes down you were at not 20 mins prior that would of took out your entire group of 10 almost for sure in snowy graves you think before you do anything again and never make any sort of mistake like that again.....Granted I was the only one who assessed the risk and sat at the bottom out of harms way it really makes you think and will not ride again with many people.

Ride safe!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
go hire Brett, Chris, Dan, Amber or any of the other paid snowmobile instructor..
My son and I plan on doing just exactly that for next year. The point of this year was to get enough riding experience under our belts to be ready for one of those classes. Almost went to Brett's course this winter, but decided I needed more hours in the seat before I could really benefit from his instruction and needed to know my sled much much better as well.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well still to me one thing about this ordeal is it started with good intent on having a day with your son and another young fella...and yep your getting alot of good advice...and as well some advice from EXPERTS..who on the same day that you were with your son a few of the EXPERTS were with the guys and their child was at a pool hall or gaming arcade..and you did learn alot im certain..and im not patting anyone one back here..im just trying to be fair

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
how much does the teaching job pay?
heck ill drive over from oregon if the price is right:)

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Here's a suggestion. Buy a 600 NON yamaha. You won't get into a situation you aren't able to handle. Many times I've gotten my own sled out of worse stucks than that by myself, and I'm a "girl". Did you not have a shovel?

Last edited:
S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
So if it’s a “Christopher made some dumb decisions thread” it will be open to us freebies?! Classic….BTW no amount of gear will replace the one thing that really matters here, Making stupid decisions will lead to difficult situations…..do you watch the weather? (more than just what the hot chick on ABC tells you). Do you know how to get a sled unstuck? (By yourself if necessary). Do you consider what you may be putting your loved ones through? Sometimes circumstances will lead to difficult situations but this and many other cases are simply by stupid decisions….may we all see that no amount of the latest and greatest gear will cover up stupidity.
I have to say I am glad everything turned out o.k. and that nobody was hurt

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here's a suggestion. Buy a 600 NON yamaha. You won't get into a situation you aren't able to handle. Many times I've gotten my own sled out of worse stucks than that by myself, and I'm a "girl". Did you not have a shovel?
We had 2. And we dug for quite some time.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So if it’s a “Christopher made some dumb decisions thread” it will be open to us freebies?! Classic…
it has nothing to do with me.
Everything in the SNOWSAFETY, SNOWMEMBERS, SWAPMEET and CLASSIFIEDS forums have no restrictions on them.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
A lot of new sledders think the bigger and newer sleds are what they need, that they will teach them to ride. Not true. The best thing you could do is get a smaller, lighter sled and go ride. Because then you actually have to learn to RIDE. Then you take that older or smaller sled out with experienced riders on bigger sleds. You will then learn to RIDE and not just use the extra power to get you out of a situation. After a year or two of that, you move on to a bigger better sled and you will be ten times the rider you would otherwise be.

More than anything you need to learn to get unstuck. I've been unable to get my sled out alone twice, and both times were serious wrecks and I was too injured to lift the sled. With a shovel you can get out of almost anything, I have many many times by myself. Upside down, buried, tree wells, on top of trees, etc. You can do it alone. If your first instinct is that it's too buried and you don't even want to try, you won't get far in your sledding abilities. Dig to the dirt if you have to, but be a little more determined and stubborn and you can dig a sled out of anything, even by yourself, even if you're a girl.

By the way, that's not what many of us consider deeep. That's sweet powder that makes an awesome day of riding and some stucks. Deeep powder is when you have to make a few circles before you even consider stopping so you have a packed track. And even then you might not get started again. Deep powder is 5 feet of bottomless snow. And even then anyone with a shovel can get themselves out, even if that means digging for an hour.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
By the way, that's not what many of us consider deeep. That's sweet powder that makes an awesome day of riding and some stucks. .
What are you using to make this decision? I don't think there are any pictures of the situation in question are there?

A lot of new sledders think the bigger and newer sleds are what they need, that they will teach them to ride. Not true. The best thing you could do is get a smaller, lighter sled and go ride. Because then you actually have to learn to RIDE. Then you take that older or smaller sled out with experienced riders on bigger sleds..
Agreed, I think this is a very important point. Actually, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Deep powder is 5 feet of bottomless snow. And even then anyone with a shovel can get themselves out, even if that means digging for an hour.
Some situations require more then just digging. Like when you drop into a 15 ft tree well... That is when rope helps..

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What are you using to make this decision? I don't think there are any pictures of the situation in question are there?

Agreed, I think this is a very important point. Actually, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

Some situations require more then just digging. Like when you drop into a 15 ft tree well... That is when rope helps..

Yes, there are pics Ruffy. Skidoogirl makes an excellent point and one that I wish I had learned years ago. A 600 is by far the funnest and EASIEST sled there is to ride and unstick.

Premium Features