• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Aftermarket Gauge System with Mapping

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I've watched folks drooling over the new Polaris gauge and its lackluster mapping and lack of features for far too long now. I've been working on a gauge that can completely replace the OEM gauges on Arctic Cat, Yamaha, and Polaris since early this year, and it's probably about time to get some feedback. The current version of the hardware is actually using the firmware from the Deluxe Gauge Reflash that is already available for Arctic Cats. I'd like to hear about features the people think are missing from what I've laid out below. The mapping portion of the software I will be releasing on Android so that people can use with it on smartphones this winter.

The important features of this gauge are the following:

General Functionality:
-Android operating system, all Android applications can be run
-Bluetooth and WIFI connectivity
-Around 16GB of storage
-Large 7inch LCD screen that is readable in sunlight

Mapping Functionality:
-Satellite imagery
-Topographic maps
-Topographic contour lines on top of other maps
-Snowmobile Trails on top of other maps
-Tracks and Waypoint support using GPX files
-Tracks and Waypoints using KML files
-Built-in ability to cache maps for offline use
-Download packs of cached maps for an area (like satellite imagery for Snowies)

Gauge Functionality:
-5 gauge layouts that can switched between
-Each gauge layout can be edited
-Different styles and sizes of gauge faces
-Horizontal Needle
-Vertical Needle
-Horizontal Bargraph
-Vertical Bargraph
-Text/Numbers​
-Can show many different types of data
-RPM
-Speed
-GPS Speed
-Altitude
-Engine Temp
-Intake Temp (on Arctic Cat)
-Voltage
-AFR (must have an AFR sensor)
-Boost (must have a MAP sensor on the sled)​

I will be doing beta testing this winter with the gauge on Arctic Cat sleds using some temporary hardware (actually based on a Nexus 7 tablet). I have a waterproof enclosure built for it, and at the moment I'm working on the mount for the gauge. The eventual hardware for the gauge will almost certainly be using a resistive touchscreen for use in cold weather and snow, but I've also built in support for gamepads. This will allow handlebar controls on the gauge, including the mapping features. I'm guessing that the price will fall in the $500 to $700 range, but don't quote me on that.

Another thing I'm working on, which is why this gauge isn't available this year actually, is a GPS transponder system. It works much like a Garmin Rino where it transmits your location and allows you to see other people's locations. It will however work much better since it will be operating on frequencies where it can constantly be transmitting your location instead of at most once a minute. The GPS transponder actually shows the information right on the map of the gauge's software.

Below are a few screen shots of the software:

Satellite imagery with contour lines (contour lines will be thicker than shown below):

Editing a gauge layout:

Controlling the layers visible on the map:

Selecting an area to be cached:

elkhunt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2009
Prosser, Wa
Way cool I want two of them, one for my diesel truck!

Do you plan on making it easy to detach for data transfer?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Whoops, forgot to mention that. It is designed to be easily removed from the mount and taken with you to prevent theft and also so that you can use it as a regular old tablet.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I assume it would have its own built in rechargeable power source. Sounds great, would even be very helpful for search and rescue. Hope its more durable than my cell phones!

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I assume this completely replaces the stock gauge. If so, awesome. I think the features are awesome and imo somewhat overdue. (Pointing finger at manufacturer's not you)

Also can you please add some sort of heating element to the face of the gauge? Even my stock gauge is mostly iced up on deeper days. There must be a way to fix that problem.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I assume this completely replaces the stock gauge. If so, awesome. I think the features are awesome and imo somewhat overdue. (Pointing finger at manufacturer's not you)

Also can you please add some sort of heating element to the face of the gauge? Even my stock gauge is mostly iced up on deeper days. There must be a way to fix that problem.

Yep, complete replacement that hooks up to the OEM wiring for the stock gauge.

I'm planning to use an optically bonded LCD, so frosting of the screen simply won't be an issue, since there won't be any air between the glass and screen for water to condense from.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Are you going to make the boost and AFR liner scales adjustable by the end user? This would give the user flexibility to run the sensors they want or specific their setup. Will a portion of the 16 GB of storage be set aside for data logging? Would be awesome to log at least a couple of channels for 15-30 min for tuning purposes.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Yep, complete replacement that hooks up to the OEM wiring for the stock gauge.

I'm planning to use an optically bonded LCD, so frosting of the screen simply won't be an issue, since there won't be any air between the glass and screen for water to condense from.

Right, I get that it shouldn't frost up but what about the times that you are running in the fluff and you go to swipe the snow away and then a minute later its all ice on the guage. Then you have to scrape the ice away. Am I the only one that hates that?

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
This looks like a killer setup. Especially for the guys with three or four gauges and can replace with just one gauge. I might know where I'm at for once. I'm never lost. Just exploring.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I want one. I am using trail Tech units on both my 14 M8000 and on my 15 pro RMK now and that looks like the cats ***. If you need a tester I am your man. Ride in all sorts of conditions and places.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
This looks like a pretty sweet setup! Since it has wifi connectivity, you should be able to watch a go-pro (wifi equipped version) video that you just shot on it correct? Are there any signals that would interfere with avalanche beacons?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
what about the times that you are running in the fluff and you go to swipe the snow away and then a minute later its all ice on the guage.
I don't think the screen frosting up will be much of a problem. The LCD screen's backlight is plenty warm. I'll find out during testing this year.

What about iphone compatibility?
Since the mapping software I will be releasing this year is meant for use in the gauge I don't plan to make an IPhone version of it until the GPS transponder is available, so not for a while.

Since it has wifi connectivity, you should be able to watch a go-pro (wifi equipped version) video that you just shot on it correct? Are there any signals that would interfere with avalanche beacons?
Since it is running an Android OS it should handle any of the GoPro Android applications that let you watch video via WIFI. It won't interfere with an avalanche beacon anymore than your cellphone would.

how hard would it be to read the timing and pipe sensor
The pipe sensor would be a challenge, but doable if I ever end up with the time. Timing is much more doable.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Looks very good. All the product that we have used in the past (stock reflashed gauges) has been perfect. Keep pushing the edge my man, great stuff!

vincebarnett

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2010
Fairbanks Ak
Yet another awesome tool for the backcountry. Will this be useable when detached from the sled/power source? Incase the sled is wrecked and you need the Gps to get out?

On a side note the next stage gauge reflash works AWESOME. Got to use it on our first ride of the season Nov 1st and having the correct amount of fuel displayed and knowing actual coolant temp was the most useful that day. Every cat should have this mod. Need to bump the original thread for this years crowd to see.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Yet another awesome tool for the backcountry. Will this be useable when detached from the sled/power source? Incase the sled is wrecked and you need the Gps to get out?

On a side note the next stage gauge reflash works AWESOME. Got to use it on our first ride of the season Nov 1st and having the correct amount of fuel displayed and knowing actual coolant temp was the most useful that day. Every cat should have this mod. Need to bump the original thread for this years crowd to see.

It gauge is designed to be easily removed from the mount so that you can use it as a regular old Android tablet. It contains a lithium battery, so it can be used without being plugged in. When you are caching maps and such you'll likely have to bring it inside and hook it up to a USB charger since caching aerial imagery can take a while.

By the way, thanks for the feedback on the reflash!

Premium Features