• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New MH ski thread

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
You're asking about better handling the taller the keels. I went taller to hopefully address ski washout. Steering will probably be heavier. Haven't tried new ski yet, finished it last night.

C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
Just thinking out load here, what about making the outer "runners" out of stainless steel angle. I just think that the thickness of the UHMW will create a lot of drag. What do you think?

M
Mar 14, 2012
Just thinking out load here, what about making the outer "runners" out of stainless steel angle. I just think that the thickness of the UHMW will create a lot of drag. What do you think?

You mean like the promoto ski of death. Im sure it would work better as far and no drag but if that thing runs over you I hope you have a surgeon close. My idea would be to make the outer runners not stick out so far. Then you can use a normal carbide. It looks like a great design though and Im interested to see how it works.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Are you noticing better handling the taller you go?

We have tried everything from 1-1/2 center keel to 3" center keel. And from 18 to 24" long. The best has been 2-1/2 tall and 20" long.
Yes the taller center keel does help washout (not gone) and does turn harder.
With this set up you can easly ride down the rutted (not frozen) trail at 40 mph one handed.
Made the trails fun where before they were not.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
try my ski

if someone will either get me the dimensions needed to make a ski saddle or willing to do it i will send you out my ski i made to let you guys try out.. I am done for the season. so use it till next fall. call me at 605-225-6900 and i will get you set up. I made the ski for area 51 and used it on the hawk too. seems to work very good. would like to see it tried on the MH. Les

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Saddle measurements

The hole for the 3/8" bolt is 7/8" from the bottom, measured on the inside to hole center. Hole is centered in saddle which is 5.5" long and 3" wide inside. 4 bolt pattern 4.75" x 2" I've quit experimenting with ski for this year, waiting to see Alan's new ski at Schweitzer sledfest.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
THANKS

The hole for the 3/8" bolt is 7/8" from the bottom, measured on the inside to hole center. Hole is centered in saddle which is 5.5" long and 3" wide inside. 4 bolt pattern 4.75" x 2" I've quit experimenting with ski for this year, waiting to see Alan's new ski at Schweitzer sledfest.

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW THANKS A BUNCH

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
So Did anyone get a look at Timbersled's new ski?

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
any one try one of those USI with the big rudder on the back of the ski??

I did it worked great on hard pack but still washed out in soft snow and on a side hill, i think it is because of the vertical profile of the bottom of the ski

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
New Timbersled ski appears to be 10" wide similar to gen II Simmons. Molded-in keels, clear to the outside, appear thinner than 1'. Center keel molded-in farther back, shorter and thinner than most modded Gen II center keels. Other than the keels, bottom profile flat from front to back and side to side. Most racers at Schweitzer appeared to be running the stock 6" gen I, in mashed potato snow. If there was a new ski racing, I didn't notice it.

Premium Features