• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Skis for a renegade?? un biaased opinions.

W
Jun 27, 2008
I am looking to upgrade to some powder skis for my gade. Riding is 50/50 trail and backcountry. I have been looking at Powder Pros and also C&A Pro XT. Trying to see what kinda feed back I can get or suggestions. Also see that slydog seems to be pretty popular also.

I am looking for a set that is great for trail riding and also off trail. I guess the perfect balance.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Mtn Pilots with Shaper bars for the centers work great both on and off trail for a Gade.

Have FUN!

G MAN

W
Jun 27, 2008
Been looking on here for a set people may be selling but no luck thus far. Any place you might recommend to pick these up from. These are the 6.9 or are they just the mtn pilots?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Mtn Pilots are the wider 6.9 and those are the ones you want. A lot of Summit riders will go to a pure powder ski so should be a lot of take-offs available - post a WTB in the classifieds and I'm sure you'll get some takers. I put Mods on my Summit and put the 6.9's on my Gade - couldn't be happier (make sure you use Shapers for your wear bars tho - makes a huge diff with the Mtn Pilots).

Cheers,

G

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
I have a set of 6.9 Pilots on my sled
I sent you a PM, let me know if you r interested

they r black w Red loops

heres a pic w them on my sled right now

DSC_0001.jpg

W
Jun 27, 2008
Mtn Pilots are the wider 6.9 and those are the ones you want. A lot of Summit riders will go to a pure powder ski so should be a lot of take-offs available - post a WTB in the classifieds and I'm sure you'll get some takers. I put Mods on my Summit and put the 6.9's on my Gade - couldn't be happier (make sure you use Shapers for your wear bars tho - makes a huge diff with the Mtn Pilots).

Cheers,

G

Mine is an 05 renegade x and looking online at catalogs it tells me I have precision skis. What do I need for the pilots? Do I need the bushings, bolts and loops and everything or can I reuse whats on the sled?

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
MXZ spindles are wider than summits
so they SHOULD bolt right up, using your old hardware

but Gman should be able to confirm this for you

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Since nobody's said anything about the powder pros I will. I got them last year after trashing the stock skis during spring (we rode till June 15th). I love them! They took some time to get used to, they can take more effort in harder snow conditions. On a hardpack sidehill they don't dive, track very well. I like them a lot in powder as well. The thing I don't like is that the edge can catch, especially in pitted harder snow, and when there's a crust on top. They will catch and whip the skis completely one way then the next VERY fast and if you're not paying attention it can end badly. One day it whipped each way about 3 times before I got it under control, going fast enough to almost fall off. Carl's does a cutout on the back that is supposed to fix this, I haven't tried it yet though. If you're only riding powder it wouldn't be an issue.

They are very thick and tough, rocks don't do a lot of damage to them compared to my old stock skis. They are very aggressive, but are worth it to me. I do like them a lot and have even bent one to an extreme angle with no real damage (very fast, creek collapsed, solid bank, you get the idea). For trail I think they're fine, on a really hammered trail they can get a bit darty. Nothing that really bothers me though. Hope that helps....

I have been super happy with my XT C&A Pros. Have had them on several different sleds (my 02 700 polaris 136 and my current sled). They are an extremely aggressive ski that can require some work at lower speeds but on the trail you can count on them to hold a line and not get off track. If you have removed your sway bar they will help with the sleds darting. They are much thicker and stiffer than the sly dogs but i preffer this at times. Also they do great in the powder and boondocking.

W
Jun 27, 2008
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I opted for the pilots for right now because of price and responses I have received here and on dootalk. If they dont work out for me I may end up on some C&A's or some PP. these will be up for sale most likely. I have gotten pretty good responses on the PP and the C&A's but it comes down to price right now.

Premium Features