• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What air fuel gauge should I be using?

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
Just wondering what air/fuel gauge you guys think I should be using a wide or narrow band? What is the difference besides the digital numbers? The gauge will b going on my stage 1 supercharged phazer. I have a new narrow band gauge now that I haven't installed yet cuz I am not 100% sure if that is the correct one I should b using or not.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Yep, what M5 said narrow band is good for nothing. Get a wide band. AEM is a good gauge that has been used on snowmobiles with good results. I have one on my S/C nytro and it works well.

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT
As M5- said...only use a wideband. The narrow band will be useless for tuning your sled. Narrow band is only for a regular car to measure a very narrow range of AFR around 14.7 and won't work for the ranges we run on boosted sleds.

I have had horrible luck with the Innovate (expensive, hard to calibrate, and broke quickly on 2 sleds) Had great luck with the AEM (cheaper, easier to run, and lasted) If you rely on your gauge and run leaded fuel, then carry a spare sensor so that you can replace it on the hill, or at least in the trailer.

Rhett

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
As M5- said...only use a wideband. The narrow band will be useless for tuning your sled. Narrow band is only for a regular car to measure a very narrow range of AFR around 14.7 and won't work for the ranges we run on boosted sleds.

I have had horrible luck with the Innovate (expensive, hard to calibrate, and broke quickly on 2 sleds) Had great luck with the AEM (cheaper, easier to run, and lasted) If you rely on your gauge and run leaded fuel, then carry a spare sensor so that you can replace it on the hill, or at least in the trailer.

Rhett

How often do u have to change them sensors? Is that a common problem with that gauge or not? I just ordered the aem wind band should get it on tues.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
The sensor doesn't hold up well to leaded fuel. (most race fuel is leaded) make sure you mount the sensor with the tip pointing down or horizontal not up where moisture can collect in the tip. It should last at least a year, could last a few years, ya just never know when it's gonna go.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have tried several (not AEM) and the only one I have found to work well is the NGK Powerdex. It uses a Bosch sensor and has held up for over 1K miles with a mix of race gas and premium. Some of the others would die the first ride out. The NGK also has a HUGE display that is very easy to read. I highly recommend this unit.http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/afx.asp

I ran the NGK on my TRX and went through 3 sensors in about 4000 miles. I liked that A/F for its size as was mentioned before. I have an AEM on my turbo Nytro so we'll see how it lasts, I've got 5 days on it so far. One nice thing about the AEM is there is no need for a free air calibration not that its a big deal to do on the NGK.

M5

N

Norminator688

Dec 14, 2010
Minnesota
Is it going to change anything if i use pump gas to tune my sled then run 110 once in a while? Will it make it run leaner or richer at all? Might be a dumb question but i just wanna make sure i don't wanna wreck anything.

Premium Features