• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this a good Deal?

Q

qbeam

Nov 5, 2009
SE Idaho
There is a 08 D7 for sale with a Boondocker pump gas turbo for sale for $9,000. It has about 1200 miles on it. Is this a good deal. The owner says the sled is in great shape. The turbo was put on after the first 500 miles. What is the down side to buying a used sled with a turbo? What kind of problems will I run into with a sled that has had a turbo on it for 700 miles?

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Sounds like a pretty damn good deal to me, that's a $4000 kit on there new. Depending on what kind of boost they were running you should take a look at the pistons and reeds but other than that it should be good to go. Also if it doesn't already have it ABSOLUTELY get the reinforcement plate for the throttle body boots as they will give you problems at some point without it. You can get one from Boondocker, Brad Wursten (1200PSI on here), and I think Silber is having some made for his kits too.

Q

qbeam

Nov 5, 2009
SE Idaho
How reliable are the turbos? I want a sled that I can jump on and ride. I have little or no mechanical knowledge, so tinkering and tuning on the mountain is out for me. Would I be getting in over my head on this one?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
How reliable are the turbos? I want a sled that I can jump on and ride. I have little or no mechanical knowledge, so tinkering and tuning on the mountain is out for me. Would I be getting in over my head on this one?

With that qwestion and statement, I would say yes, you are getting in over your head. The turbo's are alot lower maintiance than high strung mods once tuned in, but there is always little things going on. Gut feeling is you would be happier without the turbo. Try stock with a single pipe. The single wake up the throttle response and make most sleds alot snappier, yet are extremely forgiving with regard to clutching and jetting.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
ah yeah, I'd say that a turbo is not for you, you need to be able to understand tuning the sled well in order to recognize problems or make small corrections before they become a problem. They are very reliable however yo need to know how to keep an eye on things and understand what kinds of problems you can ride with and what will cost you a motor or a turbo. Personally I could never recommend in good conscience a turbo for someone that does not at least understand the basic in's and out's of tuning.

Premium Features