• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

timbersled rear skid rear scissor bushing failures

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i know of 4 including my own (lost one this weekend) that have lost one or all in one case, of the rear scissor bushings. does anyone have a permenant fix for this? i really think it is the componants and their mating that is causing these to be pushed out. you have a plastic bushing with glue as a retainer. could we get an oilite bushing alittle over sized and press them in? the bushing not having a secure retainer seems to be the issue. love the skid, just a pain to and stock our own replacement parts, and have the fear they may pop out. glad i preordered a set for just a case like this.

for the record some are saying this is caused by over greasing, i have greased the rear scissor one time when i first installed it, then since i have only cleaned and greased the shafts v.s greasing the zerts due to being told too much grease inside is building pressures, and popping the bushings out.

any help appreciated. ski

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I too have had that problem and have replaced one on each side and I don't over grease them. You might also want to double check the rear shocks and the shaft that goes through each of them. I pulled my shocks to have them serviced and the bushing were almost completly worn through to the eye of the shock, one sled about 1000 miles the other 1000 miles +/- on the suspension. :( I will be ordering some of those shortly.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Make a bushing retainer for it. All it needs to be is something Like a steel washer that has a few thousanths clearance around the shaft. Attach it with set screws or weld a couple small tabs on the outside of the tubes to attach it to. Sometimes if these companies wont fix a problem you have to fix it yourself :( Eric

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
replaced the plastic ones and glued them in again, if this happens i will be putting in press-fit brass bushings

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
i feel ya on this. my originals fell out in four hours. replaced them and glued them in with the recommended gorilla glue (which is junk), lasted one in a half days of riding. had to finish the weekend with duct tape and zip ties holding together a two thousand dollar skid. frickin sweet. but it was black tape. all i need now is some bubble gum. this is detroit.....right.anyway now on my third set, used black max super glue by loctite. has held up to two full days of pounding and still looks good. will get its second weekend in tomorro. will see how it works out. but all in all would be nice to get some oil lites and press them in. it seems like the snow gets ind and turnes to ice and pushes the bushings out. you cant get a whole lot of grease in there. so im not thinking its from over greasing.

bobp

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2008
Redmond, WA
Two of mine need replacement. Called Bud at Timbersled Monday and they arrived in Seattle with the next days UPS.

He said to warm your grease gun up to room temperature and use sparringly/gently. Clean old grease out with brake cleaner and rough up the outside of the bushings with light grit sandpaper before appling glue.

I will try the Black Max Loc-Tite glue.

Bob

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Something as easy as that to fix or re-engineer and they dont? I was thinking of getting one of these skids but guess I might have to look elsewhere now.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Strange, i have two full seasons on the TS and i just glued my bushings in with Gorilla Glue and they are never coming out.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
are you guys using the aluminum stop at the top of the scissor? do you have any ride height/transfer spacers installed above or below the scissor?

trying to figure why these are comming out. ski

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
ski. i was wondering the same thing. seems if your running the spacers top or bottom it would close the distance and they would not have room to come out. just get slamed back and forth. i run mine as set up by t. s. . no spacers

F

funjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
If you grease it after you ride then it will push the water out and it won't rust. Keep your grease gun somewhere warm and put the grease in very slow. The rust is what makes the bushing come out or just pushing them out with the grease gun. I am going on two years on my mt tamer never had a bushing come out and there not even glued in. Yes I do work for Timbersled but that has nothing to do with it.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If you grease it after you ride then it will push the water out and it won't rust. Keep your grease gun somewhere warm and put the grease in very slow. The rust is what makes the bushing come out or just pushing them out with the grease gun. I am going on two years on my mt tamer never had a bushing come out and there not even glued in. Yes I do work for Timbersled but that has nothing to do with it.

I definitely think you've hit the nail on the head here. The bushings aren't being pushed out by grease, they are being pulled out from the parasitic drag caused from the rust on the slides....I just trashed my bushings on yesterday's ride, will be doing this recommended greasing after I install my new ones.

E

evan3000

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer Ab.
Grease after every ride!!! lets get realistic!!! What happens when your on a few day ride away from home and your trailer doesn't have heat. do you bring a grease gun up to your room and before you go out for supper say "hold on guys I need to go grease my suspension" I think the brass bushing idea is the best fix. but why is that my problem the manufacture should be coming up with a realistic fix for this not us the consumers.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i grease after every trip in a warm garage with warm grease. i also make sure the upper and lower portion exposed gets coated with grease on the exterior of the shafts. there was no rust on my shafts when mine failed. oen of mine failed on the third day of a three day trip.

it seems to me the bushings reach into the tubes too far and cover up the grease hole. maybe notching or trimming the bushing would help shafts get greased and release pressure from the bushing, vs possibly getting grease under the bushing, then forcing them out when the grease gets cold.

even with you working for timbersled, and you not seeing an issue on your sleds, doesnt mean there is not an issue out there for your customers. several of us have a legitimate question we are asking for help on.

you have great products and customer service, we are just asking for you to consider there is an issue and possibly help with a resolution. ski

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
All four of my bushings came out on the first ride. Timbersled overnighted me another set. I cleaned the slide very well to remove any residuel grease and scuffed the surface of the bushings with a scotch brite pad. I used a thin coat of gorrila glue on the bushings and pushed it in to the slide that I wet with water. I grease the entire skid after returning from each weekend trip. I put two pumps of the grease gun into each slide zerk. I haven't had a problem since.

F

funjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
We are working on it just don't have the fix yet. Bronz bushings would work good but they would still need to be greesed regulary also. The rust will tear them up and they could gall.

Premium Features