• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Pro vs 2014 Cat M8? WHich one to get

P
Nov 28, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I posted in the cat forum as well. Not bashing.

Just some advice. I have a 10 M8162 with 2.6" PC and will buy a sled this weekend. I have 10 mins of ride time last year on a 13 m8 and 10 mins on a 13 pro rmk 600. I know how to ride (or at least I think I do) and have read such great things on the pro rmk but still like the cat motor. I really need help. I can pick up a 2014 poo 155 800 for 9900 with 3 year warranty or a 14 cat M8 for 9900 with a 1 year warranty. I know this is the cat section but what would you all do that have driven both sleds? I dont have enough seat time on both but I am leaning towards the pro. I just hear they are underpowered.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
The under powered thing is a myth I watched a 2012 pro and a 13 xm trade high marks on a pretty good hill. The cat may have more HP on paper but it don't put it to the track. To me the pro is just a better m sled (I had 2 of them ) if u have a good poo dealer in your area I would not hesitate to go pro. I have rode a 13 cat and hated it but it could have been setup too.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
For the same price, with a longer warranty on the Pro, there is no reason to get a Cat. Like none.

As for underpowered, get the 2 of them and race them - flat or up a hill. Then take both of them and chew through deep pow. They will be extremely similar, and if there is a slight edge- it will most likely go to the Polaris. The Polaris FEELS like it has less power than the Doo or Cat cause it wheelies less....but side by side, they run even.

Not too mention the Pol is lighter weight, easier to get unstuck, harder to get stuck in the first place, handles better, eats less clutch components and belts, etc.

That said, if you still choose a Cat, they are perfectly fine....I just don't see any advantages other than a better motor to own out of warranty, or to turbo and make more power. And it rides smoother on a road/trail.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Without a doubt the Pro. This is coming from a life long cat rider. You will really appreciate the chassis coming off the M8. The only thing I found that cat to do better is go down a rough trail and IMO it flew straighter. Last year my 14 pro made my dad's 14 cat look silly when the snow got steep and deep. The only question mark in my mind is the engine, but the 14s seem to be holding up well. I had almost 800 trouble free miles on mine last year.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Sleddin' is a passion not a need. You have to pick the one you are most passionate about no matter what you think lol.

I read the answers to your post on the Cat side where I used to hang. Hmm, "under powered", "everyone I know of has had engine probs", Hmm. Sounds pretty "broken recordish" but may be the individuals truth. Just seems to me if this was reality after 5 yrs. peops would stop buying this s**t no matter what they see on u-tube.
If you really what to get analytical, make charts and plot real facts etc., you will find major issues with them all past and present. But, because it is a passion, most buy with the heart.

Engines; Because this seems to be the first finger pointed at the Pro every time.

Cat's 800 Suzuki is the only Japanese 2 stroke. Enough said there I think. It has become a screamer instead of a torquer for some reason though and they do blow up too.
Ski Doos 800 Rotax went through a decade of learning (blowing up sometimes) but the new stuff is good it seems. Definitely the best mountain powerband today. It is also the most complicated and controlled 'putor wise. That, I think, is the future and presently the Doo is the most advanced.
Poo's 800 is based off a 600 bottom. Makes it the lightest but also the snappiest. You feel it as soon as you "flick" the throttle. If you "wanna drag" it will hold it's own. It seems to do more than just OK lol in uphill gate to gate racing, so maybe you won't feel the "underpowered" thing. I can't say I feel that compared to the others.
This motor is the most "North American". That might be "nuff said" to you. It's not crap by any means but it's more like comparing Ford, Chevy, Dodge to Toyota, Volkswagen, Lexus. Higher #'s, maybe more Monday stuff. It is also the least technologically advanced at present.

There, that's the engines. Now the rest of the sled. I'm a past mechanic who has continued that passion while earning in a different trade. I've disassembled many from each brand.
Clutches (tranny in your truck?). Poo hands down. Let's put that aside. Pretty important part of a sled though.
Lets stick with your picks for purchase. If you completely disassemble each brand and line up the pieces in a large shop one beside the other. Hood above hood, panels above panels, shafts above shafts, bearings above bearings, and fasteners above fasteners and so on, then walk down and visually and tactically compare the parts, you will find every single piece of the Pro is sourced out a at higher price and quality. Each and every piece.
As a mechanic I love billet over cast, Japanese over Chinese, threaded instead of self tapping, rigid and interlocking panels that seal instead of flexy and unmatched, etc. Something as simple as how you engineer a simple oil tank impresses me because of my passion lol.
I'm a Poo fan if you can't tell. It really came after I took it apart.

One more thing you may look at is sales and figure out how you feel about them. Are they any indication of quality, durability, passion.
Which one has increased sales #'s since the original model intro? Which one hasn't? Why? Would the least durable increase sales #'s? Least quality? Least passion???

Always chuckle a bit when some one asks for help to pick a sled. It's like asking should I cheer for the Bulls, the Lakers or the Raptors lol.
How someone answers that (and you may offer your opinion in the future) is really based on how your present sled has fueled your passion not it`s performance. You really need to grasp that for your decision cause the season is too short to worry.

There are no experts on here (no matter what we think lol) on what works best. Opinion on here is based on passion not fact because that is our sport. We dream of the 4' dump on a blue sky day and you are the first one there but still have huge fun on the last ride in the rain with pine needles covering everything.
Hurry up making your decision. Winter comes this week. I'm all excited because I have the best passion oozing sled on the market lol.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Sleddin' is a passion not a need. You have to pick the one you are most passionate about no matter what you think lol.

I read the answers to your post on the Cat side where I used to hang. Hmm, "under powered", "everyone I know of has had engine probs", Hmm. Sounds pretty "broken recordish" but may be the individuals truth. Just seems to me if this was reality after 5 yrs. peops would stop buying this s**t no matter what they see on u-tube.
If you really what to get analytical, make charts and plot real facts etc., you will find major issues with them all past and present. But, because it is a passion, most buy with the heart.

Engines; Because this seems to be the first finger pointed at the Pro every time.

Cat's 800 Suzuki is the only Japanese 2 stroke. Enough said there I think. It has become a screamer instead of a torquer for some reason though and they do blow up too.
Ski Doos 800 Rotax went through a decade of learning (blowing up sometimes) but the new stuff is good it seems. Definitely the best mountain powerband today. It is also the most complicated and controlled 'putor wise. That, I think, is the future and presently the Doo is the most advanced.
Poo's 800 is based off a 600 bottom. Makes it the lightest but also the snappiest. You feel it as soon as you "flick" the throttle. If you "wanna drag" it will hold it's own. It seems to do more than just OK lol in uphill gate to gate racing, so maybe you won't feel the "underpowered" thing. I can't say I feel that compared to the others.
This motor is the most "North American". That might be "nuff said" to you. It's not crap by any means but it's more like comparing Ford, Chevy, Dodge to Toyota, Volkswagen, Lexus. Higher #'s, maybe more Monday stuff. It is also the least technologically advanced at present.

There, that's the engines. Now the rest of the sled. I'm a past mechanic who has continued that passion while earning in a different trade. I've disassembled many from each brand.
Clutches (tranny in your truck?). Poo hands down. Let's put that aside. Pretty important part of a sled though.
Lets stick with your picks for purchase. If you completely disassemble each brand and line up the pieces in a large shop one beside the other. Hood above hood, panels above panels, shafts above shafts, bearings above bearings, and fasteners above fasteners and so on, then walk down and visually and tactically compare the parts, you will find every single piece of the Pro is sourced out a at higher price and quality. Each and every piece.
As a mechanic I love billet over cast, Japanese over Chinese, threaded instead of self tapping, rigid and interlocking panels that seal instead of flexy and unmatched, etc. Something as simple as how you engineer a simple oil tank impresses me because of my passion lol.
I'm a Poo fan if you can't tell. It really came after I took it apart.

One more thing you may look at is sales and figure out how you feel about them. Are they any indication of quality, durability, passion.
Which one has increased sales #'s since the original model intro? Which one hasn't? Why? Would the least durable increase sales #'s? Least quality? Least passion???

Always chuckle a bit when some one asks for help to pick a sled. It's like asking should I cheer for the Bulls, the Lakers or the Raptors lol.
How someone answers that (and you may offer your opinion in the future) is really based on how your present sled has fueled your passion not it`s performance. You really need to grasp that for your decision cause the season is too short to worry.

There are no experts on here (no matter what we think lol) on what works best. Opinion on here is based on passion not fact because that is our sport. We dream of the 4' dump on a blue sky day and you are the first one there but still have huge fun on the last ride in the rain with pine needles covering everything.
Hurry up making your decision. Winter comes this week. I'm all excited because I have the best passion oozing sled on the market lol.

Thanks for the insight. I am the most unbiased person I know. Since 07, I have owned a 07 XRS(junk), 08 draon 800 (even worse), 08 M1000 (i had awesome luck with that sled), 09 Nytro impulse turbo (awesome power but missed the handling), and 10 M8 (which is the most fun sled I have had, but the motor has been rebuilt 3 times).

I own a VW passat tdi, jeep grand cherokee tdi, a ram 5500, and a ford ranger. I buy what is the best at the time.

Thats why I ask. I know they sell alot of pro's, but with very little time on one, I want to know from the guys that own one. I dont really surf the sled forums. I just ride and read my 3 snowmobile mags I get every month and the pro seems to be number 1 every time. But last years sno west mag gave good marks to the cat.

I have a crappy relationship with the 2 ski doo dealers here thanks to the 07 XRS. I have a great relationship with the cat dealer and the poo dealer so I know they will take care of me. If i had only a great relationship with cat and not poo, I would only go cat but Im in a dilema.

I am leaning towards the poo but if a bunch came on and said dont get it and get the cat because...... then I would go cat. They are same price so i cant even use that. I have one day because tomorrow I am picking up something. And I was going to sell my 10 M8, but I think I will add that to the stable.

I also guide sledders up here so I need something reliable on back country trips 200 miles out from the nearest road. Thats why I ask about the motor issues. My 08 dragon was bought back from polaris. THats why I have a great relationship with them. But that motor always went out or never ran right while I was supposed to be guiding clients.

My CAT never did that.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The only issues you've heard about Polaris engines are with the 800s, not the 600s. The 600s are rock solid. There's a reason why the Pro RMK is the number one overall selling sled, trail or mountain.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Cat has had good motors but the new chassis took a bad turn with clutch alignment....my buddy could roast a new belt on his in an hour! $160 gone. The motor may hold up but if you like to break trail, it will do it but it'll cost you a lot of belts. The RMK has been great for me. Belts usually last 250-400 of heavy abuse.....then I send them back to Ultimax with $10. I have 4-5 and just rotate through them?

Rt

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I rode cats from the mid 90's until I bought my 11 pro, bled green for years. In 13 I bought a holdover 12 etec and put the tmotion in it. When I looked at sleds this year it was between the doo and poo. Cat wasn't even considered. The older I get the more and more weight becomes a factor. Less fatigued at the end of the day and less effort to get unstuck. Figure the 15 will be the last and the best of the pro's, bought a TD and will ride it for the next couple of years and then decide which sled suits me best at that time, no matter the brand.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I rode cats from the mid 90's until I bought my 11 pro, bled green for years. In 13 I bought a holdover 12 etec and put the tmotion in it. When I looked at sleds this year it was between the doo and poo. Cat wasn't even considered. The older I get the more and more weight becomes a factor. Less fatigued at the end of the day and less effort to get unstuck. Figure the 15 will be the last and the best of the pro's, bought a TD and will ride it for the next couple of years and then decide which sled suits me best at that time, no matter the brand.

You do realize the Cat and Doo weigh about the same. Just an fyi. Ride what you like.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
99 XC 700 17,000 miles. Zero engine problems.

I have had at least 20 Polaris sleds in my day.
I had two 2007 600 Switchbacks. One burned down twice, the other one once. My 2005 900 fusion was a joke. I had two 2009 800 Dragon RMK's. One was fine the other one did the grenade trick on me. Had two 2011 800 Pro RMK's. Zero problems for the most part. We now have one 2013, one 2014 800 Pro RMK, zero problems. We plan on ordering two 2016's. So I guess that says something. As far a s Cat goes? They seem to trench a lot. They without question run out of fuel LONG before we do. In the last few years I have rode with two die hard Cat kids that are 38 years younger, much lighter, and better riders than me. But at times could not make several climbs that I could make. The Pro RMK is just better. IMO.:noidea:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have had at least 20 Polaris sleds in my day.
I had two 2007 600 Switchbacks. One burned down twice, the other one once. My 2005 900 fusion was a joke. I had two 2009 800 Dragon RMK's. One was fine the other one did the grenade trick on me. Had two 2011 800 Pro RMK's. Zero problems for the most part. We now have one 2013, one 2014 800 Pro RMK, zero problems. We plan on ordering two 2016's. So I guess that says something. As far a s Cat goes? They seem to trench a lot. They without question run out of fuel LONG before we do. In the last few years I have rode with two die hard Cat kids that are 38 years younger, much lighter, and better riders than me. But at times could not make several climbs that I could make. The Pro RMK is just better. IMO.:noidea:

riding poo is like being in an abusive relationship: it will bet better next year (switchback 600) a year later " it will bet better next year ( 900 joke) " it will be better next year " (dragon) joke all its own. It will be better next year (11-12 pro motor same as dragon) this doesn't even cover the 2000-2004 800 crank problems. but my buddies sled trenches and runs out of gas and didn't make a climb or a side hill..... man your not helping the guy out at all. or maybe you are.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
boy you can pick those up cheap. i bought a holdover 14 xm 163 pull start SP model (which is their base model summit). i shopped and shopped for the best price within reasonable driving distance. the best i could get was 10700 with 2 years of warranty.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
riding poo is like being in an abusive relationship: it will bet better next year (switchback 600) a year later " it will bet better next year ( 900 joke) " it will be better next year " (dragon) joke all its own. It will be better next year (11-12 pro motor same as dragon) this doesn't even cover the 2000-2004 800 crank problems. but my buddies sled trenches and runs out of gas and didn't make a climb or a side hill..... man your not helping the guy out at all. or maybe you are.

The only ones that got abused in recent years was Cat customers going from the M to the PC:help:

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
The only ones that got abused in recent years was Cat customers going from the M to the PC:help:

Do you actually believe this crap you post? I ride with Poos all the time with my so called crappy Proclimb. Either sled is better than 95% of the riders out there. I just don't get the fascination with this Poo coolaid some of you drink.

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
In our group of very skilled riders the 800ho cat motor holds up and performs (cat guys ride m8's), while the doo and poo engines blow up. We have had bearing and rods go on the doo and pistons on the poo.

When I went to buy a new sled this year, I looked at all three, but didn't like the weight, complexity, and price of parts for the doo, the weight and chassis for the cat, or the engine for the poo. In the end I figured that the engine is easiest to fix so I bought a poo with a 1 year warranty, and after one year I'll pull the head and look at it. If it's good another year, if not it will get a mtntk fix kit and then it will be good.

As long as your poo dealer is good, I think that is the best setup this season.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
In our group of very skilled riders the 800ho cat motor holds up and performs (cat guys ride m8's), while the doo and poo engines blow up. We have had bearing and rods go on the doo and pistons on the poo.

When I went to buy a new sled this year, I looked at all three, but didn't like the weight, complexity, and price of parts for the doo, the weight and chassis for the cat, or the engine for the poo. In the end I figured that the engine is easiest to fix so I bought a poo with a 1 year warranty, and after one year I'll pull the head and look at it. If it's good another year, if not it will get a mtntk fix kit and then it will be good.

As long as your poo dealer is good, I think that is the best setup this season.

This has been the consensus since 2010. ^^^^^

Premium Features