• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat 600 Jetting Advice

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Looking for advice on fine tuning the carbs on my 01 600 Mnt cat. I am currently running too rich on the mid range. My low end hole shot is clean, top end is good including plug color but if I spend any extended time in the 6000 RPM area it seams to blubber and load up until I open it up to clean it out. Plugs will be black unless I check them after extended WOT runs. I have the needles dropped all the way down. My main jets are several sizes leaner than jetting chart recommends. Running 220 mains at 6000-7000 feet and 210 at 8000-9000 feet. I just rebuilt the top end and found I had excessive piston wash with only 30% of the piston dome had carbon buildup. Should I change pilot jets or change needles and which size should I try?

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
needle

go with a leaner needle, as the pilot only is a idle and right off idle. Mid range is your needle jet size, may need the next size down. That is what I had to do on a ZRT 600 Triple, different motors but same issue. my 2 cents

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
I don't remember the numbers, they were weird number and letter combos. I would get both out and you'll see the number and letter combo on the needle. Very tiny though. Cat should be able to help from the parts dept. I hope.

Premium Features