• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bought my wife a new machine yesterday need some input.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA

This is the first new sled we've bought in 10 years, so it's a big step up.
I got her an 05 MXZ Renegade 600 with 670 miles on it.

First thoughts, Wow 10 years make a big difference!!! Oh meant to say HUGE difference!!

It a great sled for my wife!!

Now a couple questions.

Is it normal to hear the drive chain while mildly running the machine?I made sure the adjuster was finger tight and backed off to insert cotter pin.

Is it normal for the machine to engage forward motion with well felt clunk at the moment of engagement?

C
Nov 26, 2007

This is the first new sled we've bought in 10 years, so it's a big step up.
I got her an 05 MXZ Renegade 600 with 670 miles on it.

First thoughts, Wow 10 years make a big difference!!! Oh meant to say HUGE difference!!

It a great sled for my wife!!

Now a couple questions.

Is it normal to hear the drive chain while mildly running the machine?I made sure the adjuster was finger tight and backed off to insert cotter pin.

Is it normal for the machine to engage forward motion with well felt clunk at the moment of engagement?

Yep. That is the RER helix. When you let off the gas going down hill, and then add power you will hearand feel it also. Going from reverse to forward you will feel it.
I don't hear the drive chain but I don't hear much anymore.

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
I had an 04 REV Summit for awhile and it was doing that and got a little worse over time. What I found out was the damper on the outside of the primary clutch was getting loose allowing a lot of slack from coasting to hitting the throttle. It acted alot like you are saying. I would check to make sure you can't move it back and forth at all.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
great sled

i just moved my wife out of her 05 600sdi 136. I still have the sled for my dad (70yr). He loves the sled and she still likes it . the ride is great this year she is on an 146 summit 800. she needed more floatation and i got her the new chassie. She still drive the 05 some times , she loves it on the trails. only problem is i cant keep up to her. the motor has more that enough. good gas milage and no problems. i bought it new for her. hers dose have the klunk. going from forward to rer. it is in the secondary helix. i will take a look at it next fall, maybe something loose, has done it since new. i know several of the same sled and nothing but great things to say. it also improved her riding ability 10X. she will love it, if she dosent it will sell easy
enjoy
giddyup

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
If there is a clunk or jerk when the clutch engages you probably need to adjust the belt tension with the adjusters on the driven, it sounds to me like the belt is too loose, as far as the chain noise goes, on a used sled I would pull the chaincase cover and check everything out.

Premium Features