• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leaking coolant from front of running boards

U
Dec 15, 2014

Wondering about the best way to fix a very small coolant leak at the front of the running boards. Photo shows the leak location.

I'm guessing a weld or braze will not work because I would need to heat all the connected aluminum parts.

Thanks for any input.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If it were me; I'd remove the offending cooler from the running board. As you need to get most of the liquid out of it to weld it anyway. Find the leak, clean it up and weld it. Pressure test it and reinstall. From the pic, it looks like the diagonal foot rest support rubbed thru it, but it may just be the angle of the pic or a shadow.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
You could probably get a new one if you can't find a welder too. I have bought several sets on e bay.
Make sure when you go back together that you have gap between them

Last edited:
U
Dec 15, 2014

I removed the cooler and covered the crack with some aluminum brazing rods. When I plug one end and pour water in the other it holds.

Whats a good way to pressure test it?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Because I have made my own coolers in the past; I made a fitting with a hose barb for both 1" and 3/4" hose that has a small low pressure gauge and a Schrader Valve (same as most tires use). Then you just cap the opposite end and put about 15-20 PSI of air in it. If it doesn't hold the pressure steady for ten minutes or so. Spray it down with 409 or Windex and look for bubbles, bleed the air off, fix leaks and repeat.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Polaris sells those running board coolers. You just drill out the rivets that hold them in place, and rivet back in the new ones.

Premium Features