• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question on oil pump turn up

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
So I purchased a 2015 800 and wanted to turn up the pump. Did Polaris change something on the pump? There is no fricken way I can get close to the adjustment screw. I have a lot of parts removed already and still not any closer. On my 13 600 it was quite easy. Maybe cause its the size of the engine makes it more cramped??
On a side note, do I have to turn it up on a 15??
The V-notch is right in the middle of the little boss marker, so maybe its ok.
On the 600 I had it slightly above the middle mark.
At this point I am frustrated am going to quit before I start breaking things.

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
I would first ride it and measure how much oil to has you are using before that put a vented oil cap on my experience after puting vented cap on I had to turn my oil pump down.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I think it is more of an issue with earlier models. My '13 needed a couple turns, my '14 was running 35-40:1 so I didn't adjust that one at all.

Definitely ride it first and see how much you are using. Adjust if necessary. I doubt it will need adjustment.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Can't speak to the 15. Access and procedure to turn up oil delivery on my 14 800 was the same as my 11 800, and 13 600. All were done with the hood off, and then just tools and finesse, no other components removed, FWIW.

S
Sep 29, 2013
Alberta Canada
I added a Pasco vented oil cap to my 2014 assault and it made a huge difference. I have read lots of info on this and with the vented cap there is no need to turn up the oil pump. Not sure exact mixture but definitely uses more oil per tank and has a film of lube in the pipe at exhaust. might even be a bit to much but better rich than lean at least doesn't smoke.

D
Oct 19, 2014
Jackson,Wi
Most need to be turned up 3 full turns to get you around 50/1 with cap vented. We figure 1 turn equals a 10/1 ratio gain. (IE 80/1 to 70/1) I would run the normal ratios of 40 to 50/1 just to slow ring landing wear & piston skirt wear. Who ever thought 80/1 was good for a 2 stroke motor? Oh yeah the EPA said thats where it needs to be.

S
Aug 22, 2015
Brooklyn, WI
so if I have a 2013 rmk I should turn the oil pump up if it hasn't been touched before? only has 200 miles with break in oil. I just purchased it and am new to the newer rmk but ive been told to turn up the oil pump.

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
3 turns the rule

Most don't take into account the oil is directly related to throttle position. Most meter their oil consumption when new for first few rides, with usually less snow and mainly on trail breaking it in. The motor isn't loaded hard, not on the throttle much, etc. This is when 50:1, 60:1, maybe even 70:1 isn't bad, not gonna seize anyway. BUT then when the real snow hits and your riding the steep n deep with throttle pinned, you blow your engine. They're lean from the factory to pass emissions. I have yet to see a pro yet from factory, mine or otherwise that did not need 3 turns to be safe when your really riding hard. Mine have been between 57:1 and 75:1. Worst case scenario you foul some plugs if too rich, if happens again then lean it out a turn. And an FYI, adding oil to your tank on the pro does nothing for helping you out in the lube dept. Talk to someone who really understands the injection system of the pro engine and they will verify this, not gonna go into all the details of why and start an argument thread. In fact adding oil to fuel actually leans out the engine even more and increases your chances of having problems. The oil your adding to tank displaces fuel, leaning the mixture at injection point in the engine even more.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Just my 2 cents and by no means am I a mechanic...I find it odd that the manufacturer / engineers don't have the oil pump setting correct.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Just my 2 cents and by no means am I a mechanic...I find it odd that the manufacturer / engineers don't have the oil pump setting correct.

Three letters - EPA.

It is "correct" for meeting emission targets. Some are oiled on the edge, or over the edge, of survival. 2 strokes run best, power and durability-wise, with lots of oil. OEM just has to get them past the warranty.

It the future, you'll need a programmer to change the oil pump output as mechanical pumps are phased out.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I did lose the Mag side rod on my 11 PRO (definetly lack of lube) and upon rebuild did invesitgate the pump setting and found the small mark at the bottom or lean end of the V notch and took 4+ turns to reach the mid + of the V notch and only have 40 miles on breakin last spring so I will be checking the oil comsumption with an eagle-eye this winter (soon I hope) and I have a BRC oil cap ready to go on first ride.

gtwitch in wyoming

H
Oct 22, 2013
I bought a new 15 this year as well went to turn the oil pump up and couldn't get to the set screw ended up pulling the tank back to get a better look and found that arm holding the set screw was bent

Premium Features